Egypt Holiday - Good idea or not

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bad CO, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

As part of my leaving the Army celebration, I've booked a week long diving holiday in Egypt which leaves on Weds. Four months ago that looked like a cracking idea but recent events are suggesting that it could be a bit more exciting than I thought.

The question is has anyone got any suggestions on kit I should take or other preparations I should make? I've already dug out my notes from the E&E course and am considering my R2I response (obviously I'll blab like a baby).
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Depends where you are going. I know someone who was on Hols there when the last kerfuffle broke out, and he said that his family noticed no difference whatsoever. If you are around Sharm-el-Sheikh then I'd be surprised if there were problems. Money is money, and they are pretty isolated from the rest of Egypt anyway.

Is there a clause in your insurance against Acts of God, or those of supporters of his supposed prophet?
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Egypt you say?

Invest in a party pack of this:

• Like Like x 7
  4. It's a terrible place for D&V, eat very selectively, think cold chain audit in such a hot country.
    I put it at the number one place to avoid going back over some years of patients getting sick there.
    You'll need Hep A and typhoid jabs if you've not already had them.
    Get appropriate medication for any diarrhoea and upset stomachs.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. My neighbour returned from a dive trip based in Hurghada, on Saturday.

He is still alive with all limbs intact and was totally unaffected by the on going violence in Egypt.

However, he is still suffering with food poisoning which he contracted on the third day of his ten day holiday.
  6. Personally I wouldn't go there, not cos I is scared, but because it seems a right shithole and everybody seems to end up shitting through the eye of a needle. Might be a lot cheaper though now with all the shenanigans going on.
  7. Ravers

The violence currently being meted out on the streets of Cairo is absolutely nothing compared to the violence your back eye will suffer when you shit out one of your kidneys, through severe food poisoning.

Have a nice trip, send us a postcard eh Boss?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. You'll have a great time, I would have thought Sharm is very very safe from any hassles in the cities which many hours away. Relax and enjoy the beaches and the fantastic swimming/diving etc.

Maybe learn a few arabic words, if you havent already done so with work, to help you along like 'hello' 'no, thanks.' and 'shoot them, not me, they are israelis'
    Take loads of meds for the squits has been said. Good to a couple of types in a med kit anyway. Even in decent hotels people pick it up. I think in a group of about 20/30 people who chatted to me on hols most subtly/or blatantly said they had it and I had to dole out some of my own medication to one or two as the hotel pharamacy was shut for whatever reason for a day and they were not very well at all.
    IF you are VERY clever with food you may have no risk. So toasted sarnies, fresh chips, packaged stuff. i guess beer etc is ok. you'll know about ice cubes etc...your choice, these days they are more careful at good hotels and will have signs saying the ice is safe.

probably the main source of infection is in the salad and fruit etc. I've seen kitchen porters sharing a small ablusions block in Sharm, in the main part when i went to look around there, which looked BAD. Incredibly bad.

ask for life vests if in rough water on a boat as they sometimes dont give them out as standard. which can make people not used to the water scared. some wont have them on smaller boats so ask when booking.

but seriously the water and the diving etc is fantastic! once you get onto / past the reef which is quite close to shore its like another world. fantastic sights, colourful fish and all sorts of sights.
  9. I know a nice hotel in Cairo, very central, its just a stones throw from Tahir Square.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Thanks for all the tips, the good news is that I'm on a liveaboard out of Marsa Alam in the deep south so think things should be ok. The boat crew are normally very keen on avoiding D&V as they make most of their money from tips. If the paying customers spend the trip on the loo then this normally vanishes!

I haven't been for a while but the images from below are from my last trip there in 2005, top one is my wife

11. I think possibly swimming pools may not be chlorinated properly either but it's just a guess.
    I'd never go back and I wasn't sick.
    The hotel next to us had been bombed which was a talking point.
  12. Ravers

Before the wife popped sprog number 1, we decided to bang in a decent blow out holiday. We'd never done Egypt and she managed to wangle a decent deal through her work.

5* Only, we stayed at Mena House Oberoi (Probably the best gaff in Cairo) for a few nights before doing a Poirot style Nile Cruise on a Movenpick steamer.

It was honking, within two days we were both shitting blood. The highlight was her spewing down a sacred well in some ancient crocodile temple of Rah or some such.
  13. Those Nile cruises have seen a few tourists shot over the years too. Poirot reckoned a bloke with an AK47 did it.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ravers

When we boarded the boat the first thing I clocked were a couple of slimy looking ******* in shiny cheap suits, tooled up with shoulder holsters and shitty battered Russian guns. They were clearly the onboard 'security.'

It certainly filled me with confidence, especially as they spent the entire trip getting blotto in the bar.