Egypt destroys 37 tunnels which infiltrated from Gaza

It would seem that at least some aid money is being used for these rather the the welfare of the people. The reason it was donated.

What's in it for Eygpt to do this though?

They want to keep the violent lovable scroungers out of their country as much as Israel?
**** I hadn't thought of that. I guess even though they are from the 'correct' religion from their point of view they don't actually want to have to deal with their bullshit. It's easier and safer for them to just complain about Israel on the TV then have to deal with the people in the Gaza Strip.

What's in it for Eygpt to do this though?
Read up on the generic Arabic outlook towards Palestinians. By & large they are viewed as troublesome, never happy, source of crime / discontent / shame etc etc etc.

Also, the current Egyptian Government is very keen to progress relations with the Israelis for a number of reasons, so this would sit well in Israeli-Egyptian diplomatic circles.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
**** I hadn't thought of that. I guess even though they are from the 'correct' religion from their point of view they don't actually want to have to deal with their bullshit. It's easier and safer for them to just complain about Israel on the TV then have to deal with the people in the Gaza Strip.
You'll find that the list of Arab states that have had a slap at the Pals is more extensive than generally realised.

Also have a look at how the Palestinians were treated when Gaza was under Egyptian control. The Egyptians fücking hate the Palestinians.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Egypt has had its arse handed to it on a plate 5 times since 1947. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
I went on holiday to Egypt in 1993 and on one of the tours we went through an area with several burnt out tanks left from the last niggle with Israel and the tour guide spent quite a lot of time telling us how Egypt handed Israel it's arse (she may not have used those words exactly). I thought this was the funniest tour I had been on. My wife told me to shut up just before I asked a question!

I went on holiday to Egypt in 1993 and on one of the tours we went through an area with several burnt out tanks left from the last niggle with Israel and the tour guide spent quite a lot of time telling us how Egypt handed Israel it's arse (she may not have used those words exactly). I thought this was the funniest tour I had been on. My wife told me to shut up just before I asked a question!
A visit by a party from Britain nearly ended in a diplomatic incident when it turned out that the historian accompanying the party was rather more knowledgeable than anyone who'd put together the exhibition of 'How We Handed the Israelis Their Posteriors' in the museum they were visiting. He went about pointing out how certain items were clearly not of Israeli origin ('Wrong version of the Mirage, only the EAF used that one'; 'That's off a T-55, not a Centurion', etc, etc) as the senior guide at the museum became progressively grumpier.

IIRC, the diplomatic incident was only avoided when one of the party, twigging that the Egyptians were getting more and more annoyed, subtly diverted the party in the direction of the WW2 part of the museum.

They were still going on about their ‘victory’ 21 years later. I was there October ‘14 and they were celebrating the battle in crossing the Suez Canal in ‘73 as a great victory. Somehow the spanking they received afterwards is missed and they mention getting Sanai back in the Camp David talks: Yom Kippur War - Wikipedia

Latest Threads