Egg banjo: did I ruin it or... "upgrade" it?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by crispy_haddock, Jun 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reincarnation exists.

While "grazing" chez sister, decided to make myself an egg banjo, which has of course been mathematically proven to be "food of the Gods".

Now the only foreseeable drawback was the distinct lack of sufficiently stale and manky bread to construct the layered confection.

Indeed the only bread I could find was some high-class, very fresh, errrm cibatti, ciabatter, ci-somethingorother.

The traditional banjo filling duly stuffed inside; greasy egg, ketchup in liberal proportions and cheese, I began to munch.

Normally one of these creations fills monsieur with delctible and pregnant sheer taste. One definately of, ahem, dare I say it, low class. Nowt wrong with that, just it doesn't strike one as being quite, err delicate enough for Her Majesty.

But anyway, as I ate this updated egg banjo, I was struck with a queer notion, [nothing to do with Peter Mandleson's idea of queer], the notion that this form of the conconction was truly suitable for the table of Royalty.

Very different to a "normal" banjo and I feel perhaps, a betterment of the original. However it may only take a munch on the version proper to send me flying back swearing the original and best cannot be bettered.

So the question is, did I commit sacrelidge or perform a needed mid-life revision to the classic feed of the Forces? Opinions please.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My dear chap - the fact that you used ketchup rather than that liquid sh1te like substance known as HP/Daddies shows that you have class.

The bread thingys on either side of said banjo are relatively unimportant (note relatively), you have adorned the banjo with the piece of resistance(very French - almost) , thus making it bliss.

I salute you.
  3. LMAO, truly ambrosia...
  4. Perhaps this is the evolution of the Egg Banjo.

Survival of the fittest in action. Actually maybe not - surely only the most vile banjos would survive when subjected to Darwin's principles as they would never be eaten, go on to reproduce and take over the world etc etc....
  5. Auld-Yin

They are the world.

FFS what came first the egg or the egg banjo? (and prove it)
  6. The egg came first because it's not called a Banjo Egg.......
  7. I'm a bit of a bluff traditionalist. Two slices of bread heavily buttered, one or two fried eggs.......dab of Daddies or

Cheese? That's all right for your nancy boy continental types, old man.........but this is England.
  8. Auld-Yin

Fair do's; I will have to shell out for that one.
  9. Stilton my man, stilton. Made Nelson who he was....
  10. Auld Sapper gave the origin ages ago

Egg drips on shirt, banjo movement to clean up mess

Bread unimportant in that definition

Brown Sauce though
  11. Being a bit of a purist, no sauce at all on mine. A good runny yoke should provide all the lubrication and additional taste any Banjo could ever need. Not to mention all that fat that the egg was fried in in the first place. Pure Bliss!!
  12. Auld-Yin

Agreed but it should be covered in ketchup.

(So what that it has been covered previously/recently or currently - people are enjoying themselves - as are you)
  13. Think really cheap bread is an essential part,
    If you don’t have that key ingredient your not gonna have the first bite disintegration.
    Nothing better than trying to hold it all together as egg yoke spurts everywhere
  14. Living in a flat country full of wooden shoes, I had to amend my egg banjo habits by adding cheese. I call it the "Kaas uitsmijter banjo", for the cheese slice is placed over the egg to melt whilst it is frying. Other than the simple addition of a bit of the old kaas, it's your usual banjo.

I hang my head in shame.