Efficiency Medal/Decoration and VRSM

I've spotted what I think is an anomaly (potentially a very embarrassing one for someone) but I want to check my facts before I go into further detail.

My understanding with regard to the award of the VRSM to a holder of the Efficiency Medal/Decoration is that 10 years service has to accrue from the date of the award of the Efficiency Medal/Decoration or the latest clasp. Certainly, that was what was applied in my case.

Is that correct? Or can the VRSM be awarded after a lesser number of years?

The Efficiency Medal clasp was for an additional 6 years, but that wasn't the question.

As it turns out, I've found the answer and it was something that I knew about all along but it didn't click.

The answer is that you can get a VRSM 4 years after you get a clasp for the Efficiency Medal/Decoration - if you return the clasp.

No I didn't hence the word also in there :)
OK, so you do 13 years in the TA (to get your 12 full years of service to get the Efficiency Medal, go Regular for four years - where that counts as only two years toward the VRSM and then you've got 8+ years to do. That's 12 years between medals instead of 10.

You can't bluff a bluffer - and I worked for a consultancy. :)

Anyway, I was this (<---------->) far from outing the Deputy Commander Land Forces (Reserves) as a Walt.

His bio reads:

Joined 86
TD 99
Clasp to TD 2005
VRSM 2010

...which as we all know, doesn't add up.

Fortunately, I found a pic of his ribbons - without the clasp.

Now the debate begins as to whether he should include the clasp on his bio. Yes, he was indeed awarded it in 2005 but he seems to have traded it in for 6 years off the VRSM.

And if he did why the year of discrpeancy as his 10 years for VRSM would be 2009, not 2010....

And if he did why the year of discrpeancy as his 10 years for VRSM would be 2009, not 2010....
Very few join on 1 April, the start of the training year. Though there are times when it feels as though we did.

So, 10 full training years, therefore awarded in the 13th year of service - or later. Sometimes much later...

Ah yes, but as he already had the Efficiency, then the 'traing year' factor should have been removed - and infact looking at dates, appears to have done.
I assume it is a medal office fail. As usual.

I joined in 73 and was comissioned in 77. TD in 87, clasp in 93, clasp in 99 and in 2003 returned 1 clasp and was given the peoples medal (mobilised service must have counted double). I had to send the clasp back to the medals office. Since had another two clasps in 08 and 13.

Puttees you must be very similar as you joined two years after me.

None of the above was for efficiency but was for training and retention.

My understanding was it would be open to all and preumably based on a length of service criteria?

It was mentioned on one of the earlier papers as an 'incentive/benifit/reward' for reserves. Have herd nothing since.

I can think of more useful things to give us.

I hope it is quietly forgotten about.

Under the "one army" concept there should be no requirement for this sort of award (for officers at least), as there is no regular equivalent (we are just sacked if we are not "efficient"). Perhaps if these awards are retained, reservists should actually have to demonstrate true "efficiency," rather than ten years of "turned up at drill night, spent 20 minutes playing football/talking a good talk and then retreated to the bar... (that should cut the number of applicants down).

I thought MATTS were the 'qualification' for efficiency? Technically speaking the VRSM is AFAIK a 10yr service medal where each year only counts if you are classed as efficient.

Actually thinking about the 'one army' concept perhaps the reserve should see if they can get agreement from their employers to start late on Monday, finish early Friday and do all our fitness training in works time?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Army Reserve 11
OldRedCap The Intelligence Cell 0
P OTC and ACF 3