Effendi builds a Howse

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Does it have a storm shelter and panic room? Can you defend it to the last round? I couldn't see any of the mandatory firing slits required by Texas state law? Barbed wire? searchlights? Escape tunnel opening into nearby woods? What are the fields of fire like? Do they interlock and overlap with your neighbours? Bear in mind you must always build in defilade to your neighbours in order to sweep the enemy from their front lawns....

anglo

LE
Does it have a storm shelter and panic room? Can you defend it to the last round? I couldn't see any of the mandatory firing slits required by Texas state law? Barbed wire? searchlights? Escape tunnel opening into nearby woods? What are the fields of fire like? Do they interlock and overlap with your neighbours? Bear in mind you must always build in defilade to your neighbours in order to sweep the enemy from their front lawns....
Keep going, nearly there, :smile:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Keep going, nearly there, :smile:
Emergency water and food? Spare radio batteries? waste petrol and oil in a fougasse on the front porch?

Rab_C

LE
You’ll never get planning permission, where’s the bloody flag pole. Surely you need a Stars and Stripes to stand in front of clutching your chest every morning?

I don't know that much about The Colonies and I never even got to Canadashire. But Texans strike me as people who are Texans first and Americans probably not even second.
Not really. Twelve years of school where they have national indoctrination every day before the first lesson kind of sets a tone.
There are exceptions, though.

This is going to be a great thread if you keep us up to date mate. I have 'featured' your thread, so it will appear on the site front page.

Certainly will keep it up to date. The usual banter, slagging off, and back seat driving can sometimes prove invaluable as food for thought from a different perspective.

It'll all be a bit slow with sporadic bursts of activity building to a final crescendo of bodies and jobs all over the place. Today it was a site meeting with a mate who is acting as the appointed site manager as far as the bank are concerned. We were not allowed to build it totally DIY as I have no experience of house building here, so I asked a mate if he would be the front man to keep the bank happy and he agreed.

Saturday I am meeting with the bloke who should be doing the site clearance and levelling.

Other than that at the moment I am chasing up prices, and quotes for everything that goes into a completed house. I was looking at contemporary steel/iron front doors as they are considered 'the dogs' and seen on many upmarket blingy houses. I was quoted $120 a square foot for a door sourced here in Texarrse, which considering it needs around 68 sq ft of front door that suddenly puts the cost up to over $8000.00. The bloke let slip that they have the doors made in Mexico. So using my google-fu I found a manufacturer in Monterrey, Mexico, who actually supplies many of the sellers in the USA. Factory direct he sells for $60 a sq ft, plus $400 shipping to my location.

Lots of running around and trying to get people to answer phone calls.

Last edited:
I was looking at contemporary steel/iron front doors as they are considered 'the dogs' and seen on many upmarket blingy houses. I was quoted $120 a square foot for a door sourced here in Texarrse, consider it needs around 68 sq ft of front door that suddenly puts the cost up to over $8000.00. The bloke let slip that they have the doors made in Mexico. So using my google-fu I found a manufacturer in Monterrey, Mexico, who actually supplies many of the sellers in the USA. Factory direct he sells for $60 a sq ft, plus $400 shipping to my location.
Up and Over or Roller Shutter?

anglo

LE
Certainly will keep it up to date. The usual banter, slagging off, and back seat driving can sometimes prove invaluable as food for thought from a different perspective.

It'll all be a bit slow with sporadic bursts of activity building to a final crescendo of bodies and jobs all over the place. Today it was a site meeting with a mate who is acting as the appointed site manager as far as the bank are concerned. We were not allowed to build it totally DIY as I have no experience of house building here, so I asked a mate if he would be the front man to keep the bank happy and he agreed.

Saturday I am meeting with the bloke who should be doing the site clearance and levelling.

Other than that at the moment I am chasing up prices, and quotes for everything that goes into a completed house. I was looking at contemporary steel/iron front doors as they are considered 'the dogs' and seen on many upmarket blingy houses. I was quoted $120 a square foot for a door sourced here in Texarrse, which considering it needs around 68 sq ft of front door that suddenly puts the cost up to over $8000.00. The bloke let slip that they have the doors made in Mexico. So using my google-fu I found a manufacturer in Monterrey, Mexico, who actually supplies many of the sellers in the USA. Factory direct he sells for $60 a sq ft, plus $400 shipping to my location.

Would you be so good as to post a few images as work progresses, cos we don't read so well on here

Perhaps trying to rip you off, being from Englandcestershire?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Steel doors! That’s more like it! Do they come with integrated IDS and are they capable of resisting ramming by AFVs up to the 40 ton range? Not AJAX obviously, that’s another thread.

Blimey, I can feel some consultancy coming on, I have an ‘in’ for second hand armour for your QRF?

You have organised a QRF?

Steel doors! That’s more like it! Do they come with integrated IDS and are they capable of resisting ramming by AFVs up to the 40 ton range? Not AJAX obviously, that’s another thread.

Blimey, I can feel some consultancy coming on, I have an ‘in’ for second hand armour for your QRF?

You have organised a QRF?

The locals are armed to the teeth, fat, but armed to the teeth.

But are they friendly?

If you don't mind gun totting, bigotted, religous zealots, who speak their mind, but don't like others speaking theirs..........yes.

Truthfully they ain't all bad, but in many cases imagine the inhabitants of a small incestuous village in rural Arrsecrackshire, but the village in this case happens to be the size of a state.

Up and Over or Roller Shutter?

Its rural, upmarket Texarrse, not Liverpool. This sort of thing.....

iu

Latest Threads