Effendi builds a Howse

When you say 'over here' are you talking about the UK? The price of a lot of stuff has increased because there is a shortage. Our kid (a builder) travelled 40 miles for 6 bags of cement yesterday. That cost and hassle will go to the customer I'm afraid. It's outrageous really. The big builder snaffling it up doesn't help either. Four large pallets in Jackson Buildbase were reserved and they can't say when the next delivery is coming in.

Timber has increased 30% since March, the choice (low) and price (high) of house bricks is staggering. Trying to get an exact match on a twenty year old house is getting harder and harder. 6' Plaster board is running low, so he's using the smaller stuff. That's more expensive because he needs more per sq ft and it takes him longer. All added to the customer bill.

I blame Dianne Abbot.

Yep. 8 x 5m decking boards - £170, one 4.2m length sawn redwood - £30! Luckily, as has already been mentioned, I don’t need any cement.

Chap next door is newly moved in and his roof needed doing, just getting the materials together has taken forever. He’s reusing the tiles luckily, but needed another 10, could he find any? Our houses have the same tiles, and do I on the vague off chance happen to have any spares? Best neighbour in the world!!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
When you say 'over here' are you talking about the UK? The price of a lot of stuff has increased because there is a shortage. Our kid (a builder) travelled 40 miles for 6 bags of cement yesterday. That cost and hassle will go to the customer I'm afraid. It's outrageous really. The big builder snaffling it up doesn't help either. Four large pallets in Jackson Buildbase were reserved and they can't say when the next delivery is coming in.

Timber has increased 30% since March, the choice (low) and price (high) of house bricks is staggering. Trying to get an exact match on a twenty year old house is getting harder and harder. 6' Plaster board is running low, so he's using the smaller stuff. That's more expensive because he needs more per sq ft and it takes him longer. All added to the customer bill.

I blame Dianne Abbot.

I've done some work for two if the UKs biggest brick, block and tile manufacturers. Neither stopped production during covid but did massively reduce output at the beginning. One site, at one manufacturer is down to a single firing a day (very old system) as the demand for bricks isn't back to pre covid standards. Another site with a permanently running kiln is simply putting products though with bigger gaps between the carts.

Ritch

LE
Surely he's dead by now.

You'd think so but my guess is he's like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. He was brought back until his task was complete... Actually successfully completing a DIY project.

NSP

LE
Thanks. I’m not an idiot and, not being an idiot, obviously I did google ‘ICF’ but it brought up two pages of institutions and companies using those initials. After that I gave up because I’m weak and can only stand a limited amount of business jargon.

I didn’t google ‘ICF house bricks’ because I had no idea they were anything to do with house bricks.

Having said all that, I appreciate your common sense reply, and think the polystyrene filled with concrete is about as good a building technique that you can get..... as strong as hell and with more insulation that almost anything else.

430057LY_Render_1573063513.jpg

I'll post the odd piccy and report on progress.
Just the one pillbox? Cunningly disguised though.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If anyone has a question house related, I’m a chartered building surveyor and design and manage many a new build. I’m happy to Chuck my thoughts out there if you have a question.
I have a question. Would you employ @MrBane to sub contract work to?

I blame Dianne Abbot.
Cement etc shortage caused by HS2 contractors buying vast amounts.

I blame Dianne Abbot.
It’s the same here in Canada but the high prices aren’t driven by shortages, just by pure greed on the retail/wholesale level, same with food. The materials sections of the DIY stores are full because people aren’t willing to sacrifice their first born for some plywood. I’ve been waiting a year for prices to drop so l can clad my house in new siding, at this point it will just stay board and batten with peeling paint for another year.

It’s the same here in Canada but the high prices aren’t driven by shortages, just by pure greed on the retail/wholesale level, same with food. The materials sections of the DIY stores are full because people aren’t willing to sacrifice their first born for some plywood. I’ve been waiting a year for prices to drop so l can clad my house in new siding, at this point it will just stay board and batten with peeling paint for another year.
Home Depot are predicting lumber prices will be dropping Oct-Nov.

Most splendid. Our house has an ICF foundation; you’re exactly right, big polystyrene Lego blocks. Best of luck!

View attachment 594047

Ah, your man used the Nudura blocks.;)

Been chatting with their rep down here, but I shall end up going with the BuildBlock blocks as they are cheaper being made in the USA and not having to be shipped from Canadashire.

Fazakerley. The year before we built our house, a standard 8ft 2x4 framing stud was a shade over $2. When we built the house (2018-2019) it was $2.50. Now, it’s $8!!!

I wanted a sheet of plywood the other day. Home Depot and only Home Depot sells a type of plywood that is of excellent quality for interior projects, i forget the name but it’s usually about $43 for a sheet. Again, I was shocked to see it’s $65 at present. I don’t need the plywood that badly!

Good luck. Nice looking design.

Make sure you keep us up to date on the build, I need a few days to plan a purely coincidental 1,500 mile trip to sunny Texarse.

All trades, particularly painters and decorators (next year in the closing phases) will be welcome. $200 a day plus beer and burgers.

Ah, your man used the Nudura blocks.;)

Been chatting with their rep down here, but I shall end up going with the BuildBlock blocks as they are cheaper being made in the USA and not having to be shipped from Canadashire.

Indeed they are Nudura. For those unfamiliar, here’s a closeup. Basically the plastic bits are the framework for the polystyrene and the whole 9 yards is filled with concrete and vibrated down to ensure no voids. It’s really very good, our energy bills are low. One PITA is the vertical plastic ribs are the only thing you have to secure shelves etc, without drilling 6” through the plasterboard, insulation and into the concrete. They work fine to hold shelves etc, but finding them with a stud finder requires a very sensitive one.

IMG_4708.JPG

Where'd ya keep yer horses?

Looks sweet!

We've relatives with a place in Katy just outside of Houston - It's typically massive surrounded by other equally massive houses - so cheap compared to the UK per sqft, and I love the open plan interiors (mainly downstairs) they have.

Hope it works out well.

Latest Threads