Effect of military life on English

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by Delboy3, Jan 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I put this post previousl in the Staff College section but realise that some readers of the forums may not venture there so I have taken the liberty of repeating it here

After putting up with following me around the world for 22 years my daughter has decided to do her dissertation on the effect of military life on the english language. The request for information is open to all not just service personell (ex or serving). The idea behind the dissertation study is to establish if words of foreign origin have made it into everyday use including people with no military background

If you can take a couple of minutes to finish the form below and e-mail it to me ( dgrainge @ hotmail.com ) I will forward it to her.

Thank you for agreeing to take part in this survey. Please answer the questions below, using a separate sheet if necessary, and then fill in the table, putting a cross in the relevant boxes to show when you have used a particular word or phrase.

1. Are you male/ female

2. Age-

3. Present occupation-

4. Are you serving or have you ever served in the British Armed Forces (including Territorial Army)?

If yes, in which arm and branch? Please give dates.

5. Are you/ have you ever been a member of a UAS, URNU or OTC?

If yes, which? Please give dates.

6. What is your first language?

7. Do you speak any other languages?

If yes, which and to what degree of fluency? E.g, basic, conversational.

8. If you have served in the forces and have served abroad, please give brief details of where, with dates.

Please fill in the table, putting a cross in the relevant boxes to show when you have used a particular word or phrase.

.........................In normal vocabulary..... In a working military situation.... With friends in the military or family....With other friends
    Ack-Ack
    Banyan
    Chop-chop
    Cushy
    Dhobi
    Dekko
    Kip
    Pukka
    Shufti
    Khaki
    Tiffin
    Tabernack