eec wee laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by whatnow?, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :? thinking of saving big laptop and investing in one of the asus eec wee laptops .Are they any good for watching movies etc from ext hard drive ? going on tour and could do with not heaving the big one around.

anyone have one or something similar they would recommend?

2. Are you talking about Asus Eee laptops? If so, I've had 9 and 10 inch versions and recommend both. Let me know if you've any questions.

3. I have an Asus EEE PC,and to be honest it's okay for doing a bit of surfing,and email,but anything else is just so slow. Have a look at some of the smaller notebooks,with a decent proccesor,and built-in optical drive.
  4. :D yes .

i was thinking of getting it to take on tour to save my expensive one.eeepc here was just wondering if was any good for watching movies,music etc or are there problems with them .
    is the small screen good or bad ie too small or is too slow with the basic one for movies??
    The space saved would be a bonus as well i dont want to hump a big lappy around again. i dont mind if it doesnt survive as its a lot cheaper to replace than my other one .

plus the missus would love it after tour.

5. OK. I'm not sure which one Roofrat is using but I'd say you shouldn't go anywhere near the 7 inch screen version because it's just too small, and the 9 inch screen is great unless you want to type more than the occasional email on it on it. The 10 inch screen version is good, and big enough to use as your main laptop. On tour you'll need an external hard drive to supplement the 80Gig it comes with (I think you can get a 160G now, but I'd still have an external drive as well). And I also have an external DVD drive (£20 or so), cos I find it easier to use that for loading software away from base.

Hope that's helpful.

6. Sorry - I forgot to say the 10 inch model is fine for videos. I found Windows Media Player a bit jerky, but replaced it with GOM Player (freeware - download here (linky)), which was fine.

Best wishes

7. I have the 10" Asus. It is good for portability but even as a non-power user I would not recommend it as replacement for a 'proper' lappy. But then, it's not the national debt to buy and we all deserve our toys!
  8. I'm using an Acer Aspire One, I've had it a month or so now and it's great for what I need it to do.
    Good for the internet and email. great screen for watching movies and tv on the train or plane and loads of features for such a small device.
    Linky here,39030093,49297519,00.htm
    120 GB HDD. ! GB Ram. Intel Atom 1.6 GHz Processor. Wireless 802.11 b and g. 3 USB ports. Good quality graphics and just under 3 hours batter life on the standard battery (actual use and not Acer figures). Built in webcam and multi card reader slots.
    I'd recommend it to anyone.

9. If you're considering an Eee PC for just music & movies, maybe you should condsider an iPod Touch? Takes up no room & you could probably ask a mate if you could borrow their lappy to load stuff on it etc?

10. Dont do apple but thank you for the idea. the wee laptop is cheaper which is a major factor .
  11. just a quick update

:evil: due to funds being available from planet wife.

i bought this wee beastie advent notebook

not first choice but had good spec and readily available unlike the one i wanted .

Thanks for all the suggestions and help folks :twisted: