Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edward Snowden's First Interview

Can be found here:- Edward Snowden's First Television Interview (ARD/Germany) on Vimeo

And read here:- Snowden-Interview: Transcript (Seite 1)| NDR.de - Ratgeber - Netzwelt

He revealed a lot of interesting things. I'm still not sure how true most of his allegations are - there is something about his manner that strikes me as very false and off-putting but it might just be down to nerves in front of a camera. If it is true, I'm also not sure how deeply concerned the average American citizen should be (or any citizen of the world since it is revealed that people all across the globe are tracked) as most of us truly have little to hide. Still, the thought is nerve wracking and the idea that it is all government-approved just adds to the drama. It's being talked about how this interview has received no interest from US news and media. I had a look on our very own BBC and couldn't find anything either - though it might be a bit early.

Some interesting excerpts:

"I can track your username on a website on a form somewhere, I can track your real name, I can track associations with your friends and I can build what’s called a fingerprint which is network activity unique to you which means anywhere you go in the world anywhere you try to sort of hide your online presence hide your identity, the NSA can find you"

"However, it’s no secret that every country in the world has the data of their citizens in the NSA. Millions and millions and millions of data connections from Germans going about their daily lives, talking on their cell phones, sending SMS messages, visiting websites, buying things online, all of this ends up at the NSA and it’s reasonable to suspect that the BND may be aware of it in some capacity ------- So realistically what’s happening is when they say there’s no spying on Germans, they don’t mean that German data isn’t being gathered, they don’t mean that records aren’t being taken or stolen, what they mean is that they’re not intentionally searching for German citizens. And that’s sort of a fingers crossed behind the back promise, it’s not reliable."
"You end up in a situation where government policies are being influenced by private corporations who have interests that are completely divorced from the public good in mind. The result of that is what we saw at Booze Allen Hamilton where you have private individuals who have access to what the government alleges were millions and millions of records that they could walk out the door with at any time with no accountability, no oversight, no auditing, the government didn’t even know they were gone."

I also liked this:

"What [President Obama] doesn’t say is that the crimes that he has charged me with are crimes that don’t allow me to make my case. They don’t allow me to defend myself in an open court to the public and convince a jury that what I did was to their benefit. The espionage act was never intended, it’s from 1918, it was never intended to prosecute journalistic sources, people who are informing the newspapers about information that’s of public interest. It was intended for people who are selling documents in secret to foreign governments who are bombing bridges who are sabotaging communications not people who are serving the public good. So it’s I would say illustrative that the president would choose to say someone should face the music when he knows the music is a show trial."

4(T)

LE
Ah, so the NSA is spying on everyone in the world, recording their activities, interests and networks - but apparently missed an employee in a security-sensitive job who was busy stealing data and preparing to do a flit with it?

Ah, so the NSA is spying on everyone in the world, recording their activities, interests and networks - but apparently missed an employee in a security-sensitive job who was busy stealing data and preparing to do a flit with it?

Not the first time that an insider job in a very sensitive area has caught those in charge by surprise.
Quis custodiet ipso custodiens?

Shocking revelation, politicians lie to public on a daily basis?

The two-way telescreens have been welcomed into our homes in a different form. They are almost compulsory but it is not quite enough to raise the heard's head.

So they know what time my train arrives so that I can get a lift home,or what time i'ved arranged to meet mates in the pub for the rugby....... So what? Bores the f**k out of me so good luck.

As said before, nothing to hide then nothing to worry about.

Shocking revelation, politicians lie to public on a daily basis?

The two-way telescreens have been welcomed into our homes in a different form. They are almost compulsory but it is not quite enough to raise the heard's head.

Two way screens? Not in this house there isn't. :)

As said before, nothing to hide then nothing to worry about.

This is the attitude that sadly allows the slow errosion of civil liberties and the acceptance that the government should be able to treat us however they like.

Latest Threads