Edward Snowden

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Gord, Jun 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This guy has been termed a whistleblower, a traitor, a defector et al.

At the risk of once more being jumped on for speaking my mind I offer the following.

I've just been reading a bit about this guy and listening to debates on tv, It appears that the US administration would have him hanged drawn and quartered given their druthers.

Assuming that he did indeed disclose the information he leaked because he believed that what was being carried out by the NSA was contrary to the 4th amendment of the US constitution and that in doing so he has not put anyone's life in jeopardy then I'm inclined to believe that he did the right thing.

I heard on the debates a lot of huff and puff about how the actions of the NSA have been approved by several levels of government and were therefore legal. I think some of these people have forgotten that there may be a very big difference between that which is legal and that which is right and proper under the US constitution or indeed the constitution of any western country.

I also believe that the powers that be have conveniently forgotten that the US constitution states that their democracy is a government of the people by the people for the people.

I also heard that those who approved the NSA's behaviour were elected officials, as though the fact that they were elected by the people gave them some sort of carte blanche.

The fact is that these people were elected to do what is best for the people and by that, what is meant is the general public, not a select group of rich and powerful people, which is who's interests the US government and governments around the world actually do the best for.

In reality what we have in the US, Canada and all so called western democracies is not a democracy at all but multi-headed dictatorships run by those who have the ability through wealth and standing/power to influence the way governments conduct their business.

All dictatorships have their backers who ensure that they stay in power in return for favours and western democracies are no different except for the illusion that by being able to elect new members to govern them, the public is fooled into believing that they themselves actually have some influence.

The reason these government bodies and others in the US are so outraged at Edward Snowden is because he used their own underhanded methods against them and they are perhaps afraid the people of the US will see them for the manipulative two faced liars they are.

There are a number of extremely rich organisations who are being contracted to collect information on the US public who are getting much much richer by doing so and they don't want to see the golden goose led towards the chopping block and served up at Thanksgiving.

Well, that's my take on it anyway.

Oh by the way, I should add that I am in no way, shape or form a proponent of communism or of that entity ruled from Brussels which is quite often referred to as The Fourth Reich that I tend to believe is communism in a nice shiny new coat.

• Like Like x 1
  2. That's an interesting opinion.

I wonder why you have chosen this particular site to voice it.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. meanwhile, on earth, life continues as normal.
  4. He's run off to China to complain about the US government 'surveillance state'.

Ironic, really.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. What's a 'druther' and how does one obtain it?
  6. The OP presents a lucid and coherent argument with many valid points. Mr Snowdon is still doomed to a life wearing orange.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Serious breach of contract on his (Snowden) part. Gives the rest of us Professional Geeks a bad name*.

*or an even worse name.
  8. I thought it was drivel. He begins with gibberish: "Do we actually want to defeat terrorism?" Terrorism is a technique, not a foe. It's like saying that the 8th Army was fighting 'against armoured warfare' in North Africa.Secondly, he states that the Afghan intervention was denounced as 'an illegal war' - not by anyone I've ever heard of, the war has been accepted as entirely legal but very, very misguided by almost everyone. It's Iraq that was the illegal war.

He then ascribes blanket disapproval of all security measures to some phantom group called 'we' - apparently, everyone who questions any aspect of 'security' questions them all and joins 'we' as some sort of SWP simpleton, according to the author.

It's as if someone distilled all the fatuity of modern political discourse, and poured this pure essence of ignorance and horse-shit across the page.
    • Like Like x 9

9. You are proof that are in the community hasn't worked you ******* mong.

When I think of the pint of time I've spent in shit hole parts of the world defending your right to free speech. I have to ask my self was it worth it? Twats like you reinforce the answer 'no'.
  10. Well, perhaps you should have ticked the box marked 'I only wish to defend the right to speech that I personally agree with.'
    • Like Like x 13
  11. Whoa there! You can’t use “pint of time” any more. We have to use “0.5 litres of time” instead.
  12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

His missus would totally get it.
  13. Don't sell us short, it's 568ml.
    • Like Like x 1