Educational Waiver for Officer Role

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. I went into my local recruiting office today as I was initially very interested in a few communications and IT based roles in the Royal Engineers and Artillery. However, the careers advisor said because I had a 2:1 Degree in Criminology I should be looking more towards an officers role instead. I received 280 UCAS points from my A-level results at college, and achieved C in English, C in Science, B in ICT etc, basically I got C or above in everything accept Maths, which I got an E grade in unfortunately.

Maths was never my strong point at school and I already re-sat it two times, but received the E- grade both times:(. I am quite annoyed because my school class was pulled out of the numeracy functional skills module that was introduced and just did a straight GCSE instead I'm sure i'd have possibly passed that.

He did mention about an educational waiver though do you think its possible? What does this process entail? I do have everything else and it is something that as I read more of, sounds more and more exciting.

Many thanks

James

PS (THIS IS NOT MY REAL NAME)

Last edited:

Ceres

LE
You could probably learn GCSE maths in a couple of weeks if you needed to.

Unfortunately I already re-sat it twice when I had the chance to do at school and at college, but it made no difference My parents even hired a private home tutor for a while, but it made no difference really, its just not my strong area.

I would consider myself relatively strong at leadership though. I was a rowing coxswain at my University in charge of between four and eight people in a boat and keeping them motivated to keep going during a high intensity race piece, as well as steering and rhythm etc. I still do this now for masters division crews at a local rowing club.

Last edited:
Chap rent a stand in for the exam it's all the rage India and China.

On a serious note try night school my boy was naff at maths private tutor no joy collage no joy.
Motivated him self found a night class at the local school for thick heads and passed his A level with and a grade t can be done its down to motivation.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. I went into my local recruiting office today as I was initially very interested in a few communications and IT based roles in the Royal Engineers and Artillery. However, the careers advisor said because I had a 2:1 Degree in Criminology I should be looking more towards an officers role instead. I received 280 UCAS points from my A-level results at college, and achieved C in English, C in Science, B in ICT etc, basically I got C or above in everything accept Maths, which I got an E grade in unfortunately.

Maths was never my strong point at school and I already re-sat it two times, but received the E- grade both times:(. I am quite annoyed because my school class was pulled out of the numeracy functional skills module that was introduced and just did a straight GCSE instead I'm sure i'd have possibly passed that.

He did mention about an educational waiver though do you think its possible? I do have everything else and it is something that as I read more of, sounds more and more exciting.

Many thanks

James

PS (THIS IS NOT MY REAL NAME)
Educational Waiver - Appeal Advice | Army Rumour Service

Ceres

LE
My concern is that even if hypothetically you did get a waiver; they ask for maths for a very good reason. From time to time officers need it for a variety of reasons. On the other hand the commitment, dedication and perseverance needed to do the GCSE might stand you in good stead. Going through life without such a basic skill could be a miserable experience.

Yeah, I mean they did talk about a waiver though. I did score 100 UCAS points higher than the minimum entry requirements. Got a B in ICT, C in Science, C in English, C in History, then 4 GCSE grades from Geography and Travel & Tourism etc. Just hoping the 2:1 in my degree helps.

I would be more than willing to do maths either as a GCSE or a functional skill module if I got in, the careers advisor mentioned that too.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yeah, I mean they did talk about a waiver though. I did score 100 UCAS points higher than the minimum entry requirements. Got a B in ICT, C in Science, C in English, C in History, then 4 GCSE grades from Geography and Travel & Tourism etc. Just hoping the 2:1 in my degree helps.

I would be more than willing to do maths either as a GCSE or a functional skill module if I got in, the careers advisor mentioned that too.
So you could do it but only on your terms?

Buddy, go do maths.

Speed = Distance/Time is an essential part to being a young officer.

You may not want to be an officer, just having a degree means Feck all in the grand scheme of things. Ask yourself why you went into the ACIO in the first place before the recruiter saw your academic quals.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Bris

LE
Then why not do it before?

How's your mental arithmetic? Even if you got a waiver, there are various maths bits that you'll need to do before you get in/if you do.

Doing it before at the moment wouldn't be feasible unfortunately. My previous job has recently come to an end and although I do have the time I just don't have the money, ( so I need to sort my career out as soon as possible really). If they won't waiver then it is no issue, i'd just settle for Drone Operator or something else which I was looking at instead.

Ceres

LE
Doing it before at the moment wouldn't be feasible unfortunately. My previous job has come to an end and although I have the time I just don't have the money (I need to sort my career out as soon as possible really). If they won't waiver it is no issue, i'd just settle for Drone Operator or something else which I was looking at instead.
The two units you mention - artillery and engineers both have quite a large maths component even at the junior rank levels.

Ceres

LE
The Drone Operator one I looked at didn't need any entry requirements in regards to Maths GCSE or anything really. You didn't even need to take the TST which I noticed some of the other ones did require.
Well good luck whatever. Sorry none of us can give you a definitive answer.

Buddy, go do maths.

Speed = Distance/Time is an essential part to being a young officer.

You may not want to be an officer, just having a degree means Feck all in the grand scheme of things. Ask yourself why you went into the ACIO in the first place before the recruiter saw your academic quals.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

My very basic maths is okay, I can half, add and subtract no problem, but my biggest issue is with algebra and stuff like this.
I mean to me it might as well be HTML script lol.

Obviously GCSE stuff isn't just basic adding and subtracting unfortunately. its literally all algebra and decimal places and other stuff no one would really ever use unless you became a a research analysts, mechanical engineer etc.

My English is okay I've never had a problem with that lol and I really enjoyed the subject at school. I reckon I would've likely got a B had I been put in for the higher tier paper. My school was pretty poor though (its gone now) and they often seemed to make a lot of students, even if they were more than capable, put in just for foundation exam paper as a lot of C grades looked good on the results overall for the school.

Ceres

LE
My English is okay never had a problem with that lol. I really enjoyed the subject at school. I reckon I would've likely got a B had I been put in for the higher tier paper. My school was pretty poor (its gone now) they often seemed to make a lot of students, even if they were more than capable, to be put in just for foundation exam paper as overall a lot of C results looked good on the results.
I am not trying to put you down. Just exploring the mystery of a very bright student unable to grasp a bit of algebra. Some people are dyslexic with numbers.

Latest Threads