Educational Waiver - Appeal Advice

I had trouble getting my head around algebra in school and the teacher never had enough time to go through it, my parents had a friend of theirs take me through it and it became relatively simple once you had a grasp on it.

You are unlikely to get in without it.

Go down to your local college or pay a tutor and pass the exam.

Do you have time to do GCSE maths in the interim? Not having Maths and GCSE causes issues in civvie street too.
Whilst writing up my PhD, I was put forward for a job as a statistician by a recruitment company. Last minute the interview was canceled because the company said they would only take someone with a GCSE in maths.

The fact I'd several years of teaching statistics at undergraduate degree level, studied two modules on advanced statistics at MSc level, and did computational modelling in some of my PhD experiments mattered not - they wanted that GCSE which I don't have (I got into uni as a mature student). So my advice OP would be, if you can get the GCSE, then do it.

Last edited:
I've been looking around on these forums and came up with an example where someone didn't achieve a language and or a science grade required which were apparently mandatory, and they were granted an education waiver, so I'm feeling a bit more confident now. As I'd consider that I've exceeded the requirements in other areas. With my A-levels, UCAS points and my Degree.

Maths is something I am going to look at eventually when I have the resources to properly do it, I am looking in the revision guide every so often though to refresh my memory as its been seven years since I last sat a Maths exam.
You are absolutely right, don't worry about qualifications. Everyone's experience of military and civilian life, shared with you on here in order to help is beaten by your undergraduate-level 'reckons'.

Hi James,

I'm currently applying as an Army Officer. I want to get in the AAC eventually. I didn't meet the basic requirements either and it wasn't like I was far off, but they asked me for a Waiver detailing why I hadn't met the basic requirements and why I should be granted this Waiver.

In the statement, they aren't looking for a life story. What they're looking for is somebody who is dedicated and motivated. So perhaps mention any extra activities you're doing in support of your application to show that you're motivated. After all, joining the military, you'll be leading men and women in war and flying expensive, complicated platforms, so they aren't looking for an 'anybody'

You should also be prepared to take up the necessary qualifications and mention this in the statement. This shows albeit not meeting the requirements, you're prepared to do what it takes and that shows committement.

My waiver got accepted a couple days ago, and now I've been assigned a CSM.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
OP - if you're using your real name to post here, I suggest you don't.

Right.

So the other week I applied, at Uni but didn't have the science/french C. So I went to my AFCO, had a chat and they said it could be waivered. I made my application and got rejected, bit of a heart breaker. However, I emailed the recruitment chaps and said the AFCO mentioned a waiver, now 2 weeks on I have had my reply to that and my request for a waiver has been granted.

So I'd say it depends just how far off you are, if like me, you're just short on one then you'll probably be alright.

In my email I literally just said that the AFCO sergeant said it would be fine (he implied it would be an issue a little later in the application) In the email I didn't actually ask for a waiver, I simply asked the question "Is there any way yet to continue with my officer application?" I was prepared to undertake an adult science gcse course if need be but I didn't mention that because I'd rather not have to if I could avoid it.

So there you go, I don't know if my currently studying a degree made a difference though.

(I'm not an expert though, however some of the ARRSE guys told me you couldn't get an educational waiver until the AOSB, they are wrong. In my case at least.)
Hi, I'm applying to join the army as an officer and don't have enough ucas points I have 170 and the cut off mark is 180. I have everything else needed and I'm also currently studying a degree. I wanted to know what you put down in your educational waiver as I will have to fill out one too and would rather get one then have to do another A level.
Many Thanks

Right.

So the other week I applied, at Uni but didn't have the science/french C. So I went to my AFCO, had a chat and they said it could be waivered. I made my application and got rejected, bit of a heart breaker. However, I emailed the recruitment chaps and said the AFCO mentioned a waiver, now 2 weeks on I have had my reply to that and my request for a waiver has been granted.

So I'd say it depends just how far off you are, if like me, you're just short on one then you'll probably be alright.

In my email I literally just said that the AFCO sergeant said it would be fine (he implied it would be an issue a little later in the application) In the email I didn't actually ask for a waiver, I simply asked the question "Is there any way yet to continue with my officer application?" I was prepared to undertake an adult science gcse course if need be but I didn't mention that because I'd rather not have to if I could avoid it.

So there you go, I don't know if my currently studying a degree made a difference though.

(I'm not an expert though, however some of the ARRSE guys told me you couldn't get an educational waiver until the AOSB, they are wrong. In my case at least.)

Why not go the whole hog and ask to be an engineer? People are suggesting you crack GCSE maths, it is sensible advice. I would seriously suggest anyone without a C in English, maths and science has no business thinking they can waive education requirements. If you want a job in a shop they want you to have a GCSE in maths.
Not strictly true. You can join Tesco as a Customer Assistant with 0 qualifications.