Educational Waiver - Appeal Advice

Jmoo

Crow
Hi all. Looking for advice for officer recruitment. My ALIS points don't meet the target as I had 2 close family bereavements a year apart when sitting GCSEs. My UCAS points however exceed the minimum. I'm looking for advice on what I should put in my appeal letter to get an educational waiver. Thanks in advance.

Debenham

Old-Salt
Right.

So the other week I applied, at Uni but didn't have the science/french C. So I went to my AFCO, had a chat and they said it could be waivered. I made my application and got rejected, bit of a heart breaker. However, I emailed the recruitment chaps and said the AFCO mentioned a waiver, now 2 weeks on I have had my reply to that and my request for a waiver has been granted.

So I'd say it depends just how far off you are, if like me, you're just short on one then you'll probably be alright.

In my email I literally just said that the AFCO sergeant said it would be fine (he implied it would be an issue a little later in the application) In the email I didn't actually ask for a waiver, I simply asked the question "Is there any way yet to continue with my officer application?" I was prepared to undertake an adult science gcse course if need be but I didn't mention that because I'd rather not have to if I could avoid it.

So there you go, I don't know if my currently studying a degree made a difference though.

(I'm not an expert though, however some of the ARRSE guys told me you couldn't get an educational waiver until the AOSB, they are wrong. In my case at least.)

cpunk

LE
Educational waivers are actually granted by the Senior Educational Advisor at AOSB rather than on the say-so of some sergeant in an AFCO, so don't get your hopes up too much. If you go to an AFCO, take all of your educational certificates with you and they should be able to give you a sensible response.

Ceres

LE
Hi all. Looking for advice for officer recruitment. My ALIS points don't meet the target as I had 2 close family bereavements a year apart when sitting GCSEs. My UCAS points however exceed the minimum. I'm looking for advice on what I should put in my appeal letter to get an educational waiver. Thanks in advance.
This may sound tough, even distasteful. But if you want to be an officer no one is going to be interested in your life story and personal drama.

I just received my education waiver form. I'm not really sure how to word it as it wants justifications, Is not being good at maths a good enough reason?

I just received my education waiver form. I'm not really sure how to word it as it wants justifications, Is not being good at maths a good enough reason?
Do you have time to do GCSE maths in the interim? Not having Maths and GCSE causes issues in civvie street too.

Or enrol on a GCSE course and take your enrollment confirmation with you to show you are being pro-active.

Well you said you could pass maths if you had to. It sounds like idleness to me.
Umm, its not idleness or don't you think i'd have done poorly in every subject in at school? I'd have also never bothered with A-Levels or my Degree if that were the case. its just that maths is something i've always struggled at. Re-sat it three times, but could never pass it unfortunately.

I think I said something along the lines of i'd be willing to have another go if the army or another body helped. I am pretty certain i'd have passed functional skills though, but my class was pulled out a few weeks before the exam and just did straight GCSE instead. Functional skills looked pretty easy to be honest.

Do you have time to do GCSE maths in the interim? Not having Maths and GCSE causes issues in civvie street too.

Or enrol on a GCSE course and take your enrollment confirmation with you to show you are being pro-active.
Having my Degree has been a huge help when local for local jobs to be honest and more often than not they've usually overlooked me not having a C in maths.

vampireuk

On ROPS
On ROPs
Basic maths skills are quite important.

Having my Degree has been a huge help when local for local jobs to be honest and more often than not they've usually overlooked me not having a C in maths.
What degree do you have?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Umm, its not idleness or don't you think i'd have done poorly in every subject in at school? I'd have also never bothered with A-Levels or my Degree if that were the case. its just that maths is something i've always struggled at. Re-sat it three times, but could never pass it unfortunately.

I think I said something along the lines of i'd be willing to have another go if the army or another body helped. I am pretty certain i'd have passed functional skills though, but my class was pulled out a few weeks before the exam and just did straight GCSE instead. Functional skills looked pretty easy to be honest.
You said you'd do it again but on your terms...

Basic maths skills are quite important.
I understand that, and I can do the very basics adding, taking away, divide etc it's just algebra and then evaluation stuff, thats what gets me, and thats pretty much the entire GCSE exam paper.

Last edited:
Possibly, but if they can't waiver it for the role of officer, then my back up would either be Drone Operator or something in the Air Corps. I'm currently studying for my PPL, so hopefully that looks good for these roles.

I'd completely understand if they wouldn't waiver it, thats why I made the back up plans.

vampireuk

On ROPS
On ROPs
I understand that, and I can do basic maths adding, taking away, divide etc. I think anyone can its just algebra and then evaluation stuff, thats what gets me, and thats pretty much the entire GCSE exam paper.
Get some tuition and revise constantly. Lack of a GCSE grade of a C or above in maths highlights a severe knowledge gap that is going to stand out a mile.

Possibly, but if they can't waiver it for the role of officer, then my back up would either be Drone Operator or something in the Air Corps. I'm currently studying for my PPL, so hopefully that looks good for these roles.
I would have suggested Int Corps, but as you don't have a GCSE maths you're knackered on that front.

vampireuk

On ROPS
On ROPs
Why not go the whole hog and ask to be an engineer? People are suggesting you crack GCSE maths, it is sensible advice. I would seriously suggest anyone without a C in English, maths and science has no business thinking they can waive education requirements. If you want a job in a shop they want you to have a GCSE in maths.

Get some tuition and revise constantly. Lack of a GCSE grade of a C or above in maths highlights a severe knowledge gap that is going to stand out a mile.
You are right. I mean I do have a GCSE Maths revision guide right now and I am looking over the basics. However, as explained I do have 280 UCAS points requirements are only 180 (so 100 points more). My A-Levels are A,B,B and I have a 2:1 Degree in Criminology. So its not like I haven't tried. All my GCSES were C or above, several B's too, just not maths :(

As suggested above, you should seriously consider taking GCSE maths as soon as practicable because regardless of PPL etc., you will struggle to get a foot in the door in any sphere without it. You must be able to do speed/time/distance calculations etc for PPL, so how hard can it be?

Latest Threads