Education or Army?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ICantThinkOfAName, Jan 18, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Essentially long story short im having the issue between deciding wether or not I continue my education or join the army at sixteen. I could either join at sixteen or continue and do my A -Levels till 18 and join then. Most people I have asked say staying in school is the best option as it gives me some good qualifications and if I don't do A - Levels I will only have GCSEs. I definatly want to join the Army at 16 but I understand that school is important. Any advice or reccomendations are highly appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area

2. Offendi

Offendi On ROPs

Education. You currently have your parents support. Use it.

Or get a trade.

The army will be there in a couple of years.

• Like Like x 5
  3. I joined just after "O" levels as a junior. I had a brills time in the green skin but I would seriously advise you to go further with your education and then, if still interested, crack on and join as an adult.
    What subjects are you intending to take "A" in?
    That could assist in deciding which discipline you might consider.
    Anyway, decision is all up to you.
    There are loads of personnel here with more recent service than I who may also be able to inform and assist.
    Good luck anyway.

4. Joined the army at 18 and had a great experience. Went into Education at 40 and wished I had done it at 18. Basically, its what you make it, but education might take you further and lead you into more significant experiences. As another poster has said, Army is always going to be there - best advice, leave it for now, see where Ed takes you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Purely for other options, the flip side is education may lose its sparkle.

Ask at the ACIO, or on here. There is opportunity to continue education in the army.

You receive an annual grant of £175 (standard learning credit) to put towards training and education. Upto 80% of the cost.

You also get three enhanced grants (enhanced learning credit) £1000, rising to £2000 if you serve 7 years.

Leave without a degree? Cash in your ELCs for a degree.

Publicly Funded Further Education/Higher Education (PF FE/HE) application criteria
    http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/20160301-Publicly-Funded-Further-Education-Higher-Education.pdf

Google ELCAS for more info.

There are also he/fe courses available.

I left school with GCSEs. I will be leaving the army (soon) after 25 years with a degree, a few better GCSEs, a full raft of driving licences including adr 1-9 except radiation, fork lift, DETS and Cttls, a raft of cisco quals, sparky training, a load of health and safety, and I ve recently done a load of c&g courses in plastering, brick laying and plumbing - because my house needs a bit of work and I have another rented out.

I also hold civie tickets for canoeing, sailing, hill walking and mountain biking.

But it will be hard work. And your experience may differ.

Think about your options. It won't hurt if you do a levels. Maybe join the acf.

If you do want to go to uni, but are still mad on the army, remember the reserves and uotc/yotr.

Google. Shoo, and ask questions.

One life, live yours. Not someone else's.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Too many acronyms for the lad.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Depends on what you wantto do in the Army and what sort of A levels you plan on doing.
    No1 son joined AFC at 16.5 with pretty good GCSEs. Is a tech in the signals done Germany Falklands and is Lcpl with own car plenty of tech qualifications and driving licences
    Plays sport for regt and not yet 21. No2 son is upper sixth doing A levels and doesn't really like it cant wait to leave in the summer doesnt want to go to.university.......

• Like Like x 1
  8. Depending on A level results....no1 son" sixth form years" more successful and productive in the Army.....

9. My advice
    Do your A Levels, go to university and get a degree. While there join the Officer Training Corps / Officer Training Regiment at your University and get a taste for the Army. There you will learn the 4 pillars of the OTR, Sport, Adventure Training, Army training and social events such as formal dinners etc.
    The OTC/OTR will select you, train and prepare you for Army Officer Selection Board ( AOSB) where if successful, you can gain a Reserve Commission or opt for the full course as a regular officer.

OR

Get some GCSE/A Levels under your belt and if you dont want to be an officer, go to your Army Recruiting Centre and make enquiries as to suitable roles.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Have a go at your A-levels (or a level 3 vocational). The army will still be there when you're 18, and you'll have more options if you join with those qualifications.

Speaking as someone who has taught A-level and adult education: it's a damn sight easier to get qualifications when you're young than it is later. The support is there for 16-19 learners in a way it isn't for adults. You may find that A-levels aren't your cup of tea - that's ok too, but it's much easier to shop around for education/training as a teenager trying to find your niche than it is later. It's also a chance for you to find out what YOU want. The army wants you to do what IT wants.

11. Education, without any shadow of a doubt. Time enough to don green once you've got some worthwhile qualifications.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Interesting question..whats worthwhile qualifications?

13. mso

mso LE

Have a look at some job adverts for the job you would like to do. They will tell you.

14. A levels minimum. Every man and his frog has dozens of GCSEs when they leave school. They are an almost worthless educational currency.

15. A Levels at a minimum. Absolute minimum. A Levels + degree or high-level vocational qualification, much more worthwhile.