Education grants for PTSD sufferer

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by standstillthatman, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all,

    I left the army in 96 and later joined the police. In 2001 due to a combination of several factors including active service in NI and the Gulf, I had a mental breakdown and was subsequently medically retired (after being diagnosed with PTSD) from the police in 2005. I've been recieving treatment ever since and have managed to get back on my feet.

    I receive a small police pension and was diagnosed with 30% disablement by the MOD and recieve a small war disability pension. I am not however entitled to any means tested benefits due to my wife being in part time employment..

    Over the last couple of years I have been at my local tech college retraining for a new career. I'm now applying to do a part time degree at uni starting next sept. Despite hours of searching for funding I've hit yet another brick wall.

    Can anyone help with information on where I may find funding that can assist in any way with my university fees? Thanks in advance.
  2. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    You may be able to get some assistance via your Regt/Corps association & the Police Benevolent Fund.
    Approach your local SSAFA & they'll help you try:
    SSAFA Branches
  3. Have you spoken to the University? There's usually funding available, even for some part time courses. Go to the Student Support people (or whatever name your Uni has given to them) and ask.