Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just a quick question, is the EDP course a different one to the ODP or is it an ODP role that you attend in house training for?
  2. EDP? Never heard of it, must be a typo!

  3. Emergency Donor Panel or something else??
  4. EDP (Emergency Donor Panel) is part of the BSS (Blood Supply and Support) course run at fort blockhouse
  5. Sorry I meant Emergency Department Practitioner, the guys who work in resus.
  6. Emergency Department is the americanisation of A&E, sounds more like a Physicians Assistant to me. ODP is an Operating Theatre based specialty within Hospitals

    but ive not heard of it either
  7. Yes, I have heard of them, they are ODPs but employed in some NHS Trusts working in Emergency Departments on Trauma / Crash Teams. ODPs with a different title, but still ODPs.

    They would have to be appropriately trained in terms of ALS etc.

  8. An EDP is not an ODP with a diffrent title. An ODP undergoes 2 years training, an EDP gets at best (in the health authority I work in) a weeks training.
  9. ffs - dont tell the bean counters this one, or they will be scrambling to restructure
  10. Is that a version of an HCA? I shadowed some of the EDPs at my trust yesterday and they were ODPs who had been sent on courses so that they can cannulate, intubate defib and all that jazz.
  11. When I was in training they were just being bought in, they are ODP's who have worked in theatre for a length of time and then transferred down to work in A&E.

    As far as I know there is no specific training or a course that they do, but transfer the skill they use in theatre to resus.

    The people that I worked with had been on in-house courses such as cannulation and IV competency to enable them to do more, but they also worked very closely with the nurses. Overall from what I saw I thought it was a good idea and seemed to work very well.
  12. In our trust we have ENPs and ECPs working in a&e, one is a nurse practitioner and the other can be a paramedic/nurse.
  13. Some places do have ODPs in who work in resus and call themselves EDAs but as far as in aware there it is not a recognised title. In my health authority the EDAs are HCAs who do an extra weeks training, they have no registration and they take blood, do 12 lead ECGs, look after equipment etc…they are paid a band 5 as compared to a band 6/7 for an ODP. The danger is that with no set national guidelines Anaesthetists may get confused by who can do what. In one case, we had an “EDA” do cricoid pressure during a RSI and the whole thing was a bit of a disaster. She had seen it done and thought it looked easy!
  14. Surly they should be have been done for this?? But a HCA that can take blood?? I've been told as an ODP that we can't even do that from the off set and must attend a seperate course!!! From what I get from your post your HCAs are doing the same job as the EDPs in my trust!!!!

    The ODPs in this trust are called EDPs and that is what is says on their name badges but only after they have done ALS and cannulation training