Editing downloaded songs

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by REMEbrat, Dec 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have downloaded a song from YouTube and would like to use a single line as a ring tone, how do I trim the song so I only copy the part I want onto my phone?
  2. err... well, for a start, I'd suggest getting a copy from a source other than YouTube. An audio file might be better. Then I'd get a copy of Audacity. IIRC, it can chop from the beginning or end of the file.

Alternatively, you could just buy a copy of the damn song. Probably easier.
  3. Well that won't solve the fact that he just wants part of the song for a ring tone.

I use an age old program called Cool Edit Pro 2, it's ancient but easy to use for simple audio editing. They are numerous newer (better) ones, but I don't know of any.
  4. Without the need for any extra programmes I would bung it on Microsoft moviemaker. This allows easy cropping of soundtracks. You can save it as a Mpeg, upload it to youtube and then download it again as an audio file.

long winded but works.
  5. I use Audacity. Free to download and easy to use. You can clip any song to the length you need. The only issue I found was either through a PC meltdown or not going for the premium (paid) option it clipped them into a format that wasn't compatiable to my phone, but luckily I already had software to convert to MP3 format.

Just out of interest what's the song? Some ARRSEr may have in MP3 format already.
  6. I suppose it was inevitable that someone would ask which song it was eventually...

Come on admit it, you too want your phoning calling out the chorus whenever you receive a text message. :wink:
  7. You sneaky little tease. :D

So, what's it genre and what does it sound like? I haven't got a soundcard at work and I won't be bothered to log on whan I get home.
  8. It's a comedy song by some of the comedians from the US TV show Saturday Night Live. It's like a rap parody, but actually rather funny.