Editing a Web page

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by MuddyMettle, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Can someone help please?

I have been tasked to jazz up my Sqn’s web page, save starting all over again I would like to edit the page we have already.

So what would be the best way to go about this?

I have tried to save the page from the Internet and opening it in Word and Publisher (OK I know these may not be the right programs) but I only get some of the page open?

What I would like to do is edit the page and then send it to the Web master as one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
  2. Is this an official page through ArmyNet/ACMS or some thing knocked up unofficially?

If its the former you'll need a login, if its the latter you need to speak to the previous webmaster to found out the FTP root etc.
  3. Whilst we're on the topic of web pages,

How do you code a reference to a link which will not display the URL but display a word or words of your choice and in fact point to the URL when the user clicks on the words?

I have looked at this on the Web to get the instruction but for the life of me cannot decipher it.

Would anyone be willing to explain it to me in plain English, step by step, and not code-eze?

Much obliged!

4. Contact ArmyNET. They'll square you away.
  5. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

if you want to / have to go for it yourself - download the dreamweaver
    it will help you to create the page - you can literally watch every change you make
    and the help centre is brilliant - especially if you're not too familiar with web design ;)
  6. If the page is posted on the old ACMS system, i'm afraid your going to have to wait for a bit. The system is currently going through a change of ownership from Blandford to LAND and they're also getting new content management software. I was informed today that the system wont be available until Sep at the earliest and that unit webmasters will need to attend a short course to get their logins.

If your editing a site outside of the official system there are several products out there that you can use. If your a complete novice Microsoft Frontpage is probably the easiest option however i've always found Macromedia Dreamweaver to be a better product. Frontpage and Dreamweaver are available on DII, you've just got to get your formation G6 to stump up the cash for them. I'd advise getting one of the "frontpage/dreamweaver for dummies" books if your completely new to the web design game.
  7. there you go :)

(without the spaces)
  8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

HTML editing packages are so 2006

If you are outside the official systems look up Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress which are content management systems for the way to go. Absolute piece of p1ss compared to old fashioned HTML and they don't look like something that a 14 year old has knocked up in their bedroom (like the old Army web page)
  9. when i was 14 i used to do that type of thing haha!
  10. msr

msr LE