Edited

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Dontdreamit, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If the courses have no bearing on your future plans as a civi then fess up to the CSM. However, if the courses will make your cv look better then it's a call only you can make.

2. Damn my moral compass!!! :D

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Are these courses going to assist you in civilian life? If so - keep 'em.

If not (i.e. 81mm Mortar course or the like), then fess up, use your standard and enhanced learning credits to do worthwhile career courses now.

Irrespective of whether you stay or not - do what courses you can now. It is a cliche but the opportunties to do resettlement courses started when you finished basic. SLC & ELC are useful and valuable and will stand you in good stead for the future. refer to the monstrous what should I be doing when signing off threads in the Outside The Wire forum.

4. Thinking about it some...

Is the CSM thinking ahead to your promotion and lining you up with the right quals?

If so would this become a deciding factor in staying in for a little longer?

Just a thought.

5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Just a note for civvy strasse, you take everything you can get. Take this course now as once you've been a civvy for a few months you will regret not doing so. Being jack is just good practice for your future life.
    8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

6. This is true. I spent my military career doing military courses instead of "useful" HSAW, NEBOSH IOSH or academic stuff. The only useful course I went on was service funds accounting, where I discovered a hitherto unknown talent for making sence of financial accounts and balance sheets...so it would be jack of you not to do the courses that count outside - unless you intend to go TA, in which case do the reg courses and be feted on arrival at your new TAC!

7. Once you've got past the ethical aspects of this decision, one course worth enquiring about (if you haven't been flagged up already) is First Aid Instructor. This has both mil & civvy applications, & will also get you a First Aid at Work certification if you don't have it yet - a lot of employers value this qualification as if you've got it already it saves them the cost of putting you on a course.
    A qualified FAI can earn a lot of money in the big world of civvy street as a freelance, check out highfield.co.uk for a few clues. I know people who've started successful businesses on leaving the Service off the back of this one course; if you have any other H&S related quals as mentioned above, then so much the better for you.

8. Good news, a CoC that understand and appreciate selfless acts. Although I'd be wary now that they may be thinking "we'll work on him in the meantime, he won't leave"

Good luck though, nice to see someone with morals