Edited

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Dontdreamit, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes, it's an additional entitlement. Check JSP 752. It should read only 1 journey through. You get one per an assignment year.

It all works around the MOD Flight Allowance, currently £101 per eligable family member. You cannot get a trooper flight unless there is one spare but you claim your costs of flight and terminal travel against the flight allowance and a notional journey. If your driving its the cost of the ferry and MMA against the notional journey and flight allowance. Most admin offices have knocked up a ready reckoner one what you can claim.

2. Unless he has a spouse in which case it is correct in showing 2.

3. Cough, Bollox.

Doesn't matter if he has a spouse or not, it is still counts as one journey. By your logic, if he had 2 kids as well he would have 4.

4. From JSP 752:

ELIGIBILITY
    06.0704. Eligible Service Personnel. All Service personnel who are
    permanently assigned to an overseas station and who have an expectation of serving
    for at least 12 months in that country are eligible for GYH(O). For Reserve personnel,
    this eligibility is unlikely to extend beyond Full Time Reserve Service (Full
    Commitment) (FTRS (FC)), FTRS (Limited Commitment) (LC) and Mobilised
    Personnel. In addition, any spouse/civil partner and/or dependant child(ren)
    accompanying the Service person on the overseas assignment will also be entitled to
    GYH(O) when travelling with the Service spouse/civil partner
    (but see paragraph
    06.0705a).

ENTITLEMENT
    06.0706. Annual Entitlement. The entitlement is one return journey for each
    eligible Service person and each eligible member of their immediate family travelling
    with them

Not my logic at all, just that of JPA/JSP 752. If the soldier has children then it will show an entitlement for each eligible family member. So yes if he had 2 kids it would show his GYH (O) balance as 4.

5. If you go onto JPA Expenses and start a new travel claim, stating the intention to travel, then when you have made your journey and return to unit you can complete the claim.

Not sure if you will get the full amount, probably depends how much your flight is.

From JSP 752:

REIMBURSEMENT LIMITS
    06.0721. Reimbursement Limits - Flights. Eligible Service personnel will be
    reimbursed as follows:
    a. Civil Air Flights. Service personnel will be reimbursed the actual costs
    for the civil air fares for the return flight to the UK, up to the published MOD
    Flight Allowance for the embarkation country multiplied by the number of eligible
    immediate family members travelling.

6. From JSP 752:

REIMBURSEMENT LIMITS
    06.0721. Reimbursement Limits - Flights. Eligible Service personnel will be
    reimbursed as follows:
    a. Civil Air Flights. Service personnel will be reimbursed the actual costs
    for the civil air fares for the return flight to the UK, up to the published MOD Flight Allowance for the embarkation country multiplied by the number of eligible immediate family members travelling

That's a f**king long winded way to say "We'll pay back a figure we worked out on the back of a fag packet in 1990, regardless of the real cost"!!!

7. Well, young patwan, the key phrase is in bold. You can CLAIM for each one but you are taking one JOURNEY.

I don't know how your unit runs it, but it should be that before claiming for the travel you have to apply for a journey, using your GYH(O) entitlement, and quote that ref number in the travel claim. So for the above mentioned family of four, the squaddie puts one journey request in but claims 4 lots of GHY(O).

I agree that it's all in the way you read the regs, but your the first person I've heard of who interprets them that way.

8. Sorry, I was too busy Elsie_Tanner. Yes you can claim an advance of 90% of the expected costs in advance via JPA. Don't forget to actually claim for it afterwards or it will be taken off you again. Yes, that means the travel next week.

9. Isn't that what I said in my first post? To claim 4 lots of GYH(O) the soldier would have to have a balance of 4 showing on JPA. Still the one journey but to get the cost of four people he would need the correct balance.

And yes my unit runs it as stated above, put in a self service journey application then when soldier has taken the journey they complete the claim. We have around 1600 soldiers at this unit and 90% have claimed for a journey over Christmas leave, so no doubt in January I will be an expert on journey claims :D

Sorry for the confusion!

10. No, it isn't what you said. You said that he should have a GYH(O) balance of 2 for him and his wife. Let us break this down. Your GYH(O) balance is the number of journeys you can apply for. Agreed? He can use each of these journeys as the authority to put an expenses claim in for himself and his wife. Do you agree so far? Therefore if his journeys balance is 2, he could put in 2 journey applications and claim for himself and his wife twice. I'm saying that he should have a journey count of 1, but when he makes his one claim it's for 2 people. Do you see where I'm coming from?

I'm sorry to labour the point and don't think I'm getting at you but I think that it is important to make this clear as a lot of people could read this thread and walk away with the wrong idea.

11. Just re-read this thread and I think I may have figured out the confusion.

On JPA, there is no link between your GYH(O) claim and your GYH(O) balance. That is why you have to make a journey application first, as only this will change the counter.

12. Don't dream it best advice I can give is to go through the claim when you get back with one of your claims. Keep all receipts.

If you apply for an advance it will not hit until the next pay run so is really a waste of time.

Good luck it's a cnut of an Allowance to work with.

Jockster

13. The advance will go in the same as a claim - 3 working days after being authorised. I agree with the other point though - it does seem overly complicated to work out yourself, hence all the locally produced calculation sheets.