Edited

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
DD, I'm not sure whether your problem with all this is jurisdictional - your talk of entities having a "right" to do what they do - ethical - your concern that it's somehow "wrong" - or practical - your concern that they may not be as good at gathering SI as the Teefal-headed experts from the national agencies.

Whichever it is, I think you're disappearing up a rabbit hole of your own making. The simple reality is that there is no earthly reason why:

a. A given police force should not, under political direction, make whatever legal arrangements it wants to gather intelligence, if it feels slighted or poorly serviced by other information channels.

b. We should give a toss what the NYPD chooses to do. Hell, if I were a New Yorker, with that city's track record of attracting enthusiasts from the Dar al Islam, I'd be delighted to think Bloomberg and the Commissioner were taking active measures to protect me.

We're all constrained in here in any discussion to do with the specific UK context - some know, some have known, some don't know - and there are obvious caveats and concerns which mean that there can't possibly be any sort of informed debate about the Boxes and Branches various with which the UK picture is concerned. I think that's only appropriate - while I've got a reasonable idea of who a number of the people in here are, we can't possibly know who else is reading along.

DDI - I am certain you are a wind up as CR suggests!

Have you noticed that whenever you start one of your earnest threads that no matter how reasoned the responses from others you will not be budged from your original position and in fact like a petulant child usually resort to repeating one part of your point again and again.

If you don't want to hear differing, very well-reasoned views, without getting fractious, why start the thread in the first place.

I apologise that I will not be able to agree with you on all your posts. There will that do!

At the risk of patronising you, you are obviously well read, but you are gob-smackingly naive at times (and no I do not want to list all the examples - that is just my opinion - which I am entitled to).

For the record, in my opinion, New York has far more in common with an Italian City state of the 15th Century than it does with any other US city and as such I am surprised it has taken them this long to resort to external diplomacy in all its forms.

Bound_Apprentice said:
DDI - I am certain you are a wind up as CR suggests!

Have you noticed that whenever you start one of your earnest threads that no matter how reasoned the responses from others you will not be budged from your original position and in fact like a petulant child usually resort to repeating one part of your point again and again.

If you don't want to hear differing, very well-reasoned views, without getting fractious, why start the thread in the first place.

I apologise that I will not be able to agree with you on all your posts. There will that do!

At the risk of patronising you, you are obviously well read, but you are gob-smackingly naive at times (and no I do not want to list all the examples - that is just my opinion - which I am entitled to).

For the record, in my opinion, New York has far more in common with an Italian City state of the 15th Century than it does with any other US city and as such I am surprised it has taken them this long to resort to external diplomacy in all its forms.
Or Mega City 1! :D

Handsome

Old-Salt
Dontdreamit said:
NYC residents are not being targeted. US Citizens are. THe NYPD are a 'law enforcement' agency not an 'intelligence gathering' agency.

I think that sentence is key. Law Enforcement.
Basic verbal reasoning. Not all US citizens are New Yorkers, but all New Yorkers are US citizens. Therefore, you could safely say that ALL New Yorkers are being targeted. Which makes you paranoid.

IMO New Yorkers are being specifically targeted. IMO AQ sees NYC as a jew rich environment. Much as if by bombing the Vatican you might hope to take out a large number of catholics.

And why would a city with a GDP (GSP) of over one billion a year not look after it's own interests? Seems logical to me.

Spooks claiming only they can operate in foreign countries is a bit like the Paras saying that Royal Marines and Special Forces should not be allowed to jump out of planes... :roll:

Glad_its_all_over said:
DD, I'm not sure whether your problem with all this is jurisdictional - your talk of entities having a "right" to do what they do - ethical - your concern that it's somehow "wrong" - or practical - your concern that they may not be as good at gathering SI as the Teefal-headed experts from the national agencies.

Whichever it is, I think you're disappearing up a rabbit hole of your own making. The simple reality is that there is no earthly reason why:

a. A given police force should not, under political direction, make whatever legal arrangements it wants to gather intelligence, if it feels slighted or poorly serviced by other information channels.

b. We should give a toss what the NYPD chooses to do. Hell, if I were a New Yorker, with that city's track record of attracting enthusiasts from the Dar al Islam, I'd be delighted to think Bloomberg and the Commissioner were taking active measures to protect me.

We're all constrained in here in any discussion to do with the specific UK context - some know, some have known, some don't know - and there are obvious caveats and concerns which mean that there can't possibly be any sort of informed debate about the Boxes and Branches various with which the UK picture is concerned. I think that's only appropriate - while I've got a reasonable idea of who a number of the people in here are, we can't possibly know who else is reading along.
They would gain no intel here apart from you, strap or crap? :roll:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
JoseyWales said:
They would gain no intel here
Mmmm. The i7 is a serious processor, greatly superior to the Core Duo.

adastra

War Hero
It's been a quiet few months DDI.

Still working behind that firewall are you??

Don't really mind as long as he stays there. You wouldn't want to join him would you?

I am sure he will show out some time soon.

Or will you be first? :roll:

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
don't worry, i think DDI has flown the coop. wonder why he deleted all his posts on the way out the door though?

i love it when people are happy to say things anonymously, but lose their arses as soon as they realise someone might know who they are.

moral courage? not that callsign.

mind you, he was entertaining for a while :D

Latest Threads