Edited

Do you vote?

• I always/often vote

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never/hardly ever vote

• I write No Confidence on the ballot

• What's the point in voting, nothing ever changes!

• Total voters

Pompeii

Old-Salt
An excellent post Aunty_Stella. I myself am in the same sort of situation as you - Normally a Tory voter - Labour MP, in a very Labour-friendly part of Wales. Nevertheless I write to my MP regularly and I always recieve a response. Some of them are guff/PR bullshit but in others I was surprised at the level of commonality I have with a person so politically different from me. Nowadays it's INCREDIBLY easy to contact your MP. Websites such as THIS do all the legwork for you. Their voting record, recent appearances in Parliament, expenses, stats are all listed as well as their contact details. The important thing is as you said - Tribalism. Despite what you might think there are decent Labour MPs out there! There are decent Tory MPs too. Don't just vote for the party, try to get some idea of the candidate behind the red/blue rosette.

I would like to see some sort of no confidence option on the ballot paper.
Basically an option for voters to go to the poling station and say the candidates are a bunch of tossers and it be published as part of election results, that way those who really do not want to give a mandate to some of the leeches that put themselves up for election have a public voice to express that.
Then make voting obligatory

I have always voted and always will. Our system might not be perfect but, after looking around, it is about as good as it gets.

The only time that I have regretted voting as I did was when I voted "yes" to joining the EU when I was a young lad based in Germany.

That bad decision has haunted me ever since!

Litotes

I was brought up to remember that women protested and died for the right for me to vote, so I always make the effort

Litotes said:
I have always voted and always will. Our system might not be perfect but, after looking around, it is about as good as it gets.

The only time that I have regretted voting as I did was when I voted "yes" to joining the EU when I was a young lad based in Germany.

Litotes
So you are one of the ones to blame?
It will take more than a few Hail Mary's to make up for that

Dontdreamit said:
ringdoby said:
sandy_boots said:
If I don't vote I forfeit my right to bitch about the outcome.
Show me a party worth voting for, then I'll start voting.

Until then, I shall reserve the right to withhold my vote, and still bitch about whoever is in power.
Then you are part of the problem, not the solution
I believe the problem is the standard of person who goes into politics, whatever their party colours. A party gets elected, then they lie, cheat, and obfuscate thweir way through their term in power. The next party comes in, and its back to the same lies, cheating and obfuscation.

If a party wants my vote, then let them show themselves worthy of it. I don't expect them to be saints, but I would like an honest (as in if you fcuk up, stand up and say "I fcuked up") and corruption free government.

Since I was first eligible to vote 23 years ago, I havent found that party.

ringdoby said:
Dontdreamit said:
ringdoby said:
sandy_boots said:
Show me a party worth voting for, then I'll start voting.

Until then, I shall reserve the right to withhold my vote, and still bitch about whoever is in power.
Then you are part of the problem, not the solution
I believe the problem is the standard of person who goes into politics, whatever their party colours. A party gets elected, then they lie, cheat, and obfuscate thweir way through their term in power. The next party comes in, and its back to the same lies, cheating and obfuscation.

If a party wants my vote, then let them show themselves worthy of it. I don't expect them to be saints, but I would like an honest (as in if you fcuk up, stand up and say "I fcuked up") and corruption free government.

Since I was first eligible to vote 23 years ago, I havent found that party.
What seems to be common these days is that politicians are rarely people who are motivated to fight the corner of the common man (unless it scores points). Politics is a career choice, made to better the individual's lifestyle, rather than that of those who he/she represents. Corruption and complacency runs so deeply that I cannot imagine a single politican is without sin nowadays. If anyone can give me an example of the idealist politician I mentioned, including their feats, it might cheer me up a bit. (Not a lot, just a bit)

Aunty's e-mail is a good one. A thought that I will add is that to become irreversably tied to a single party for life shows an unbelievable naivety. I have voted to spoil, voted to win, voted for the most likely party to beat Labour when I knew my vote would be wasted if I voted who I wanted to win - the whole gamut.

I'd love to see a system that meant all votes actually counted rather than the first past the post we have currently.

And that means proportional representation. I believe the system is working very well in Scotland and I see no reason why it shouldn't be as successful across the rest of the UK.

Years ago a bloke published a piece proving that voting was totally irrational. One vote will almost never make a difference in a constituency, and even if it did it would almost never be the difference between one party forming a government or the other, and even if it did the parliament would be so tied all policies would effectively be a compromise.

People say, "But what if everyone thought like that?"

That's why I always watch the nine o'clock news on election day. If the lead story is "No f'kir has voted" I'll rush round the primary school, sweaty card in hand. :D

Scrawling "You can all give me a hoop dhobi" right across the ballot paper has to be counted as a wasted vote. Fancy trying to create an internet campaign for 2010 - "The Hoop Dhobi Movement"? :p

Litotes said:

Litotes
Sorry?

I thought you voted for the EEC?

I always vote. People have fought and died so that I may have the right to vote. Why waste it?

nottinghamgirl

Old-Salt
sandy_boots said:
I vote. I completely agree with the above, and I feel it's your duty to vote. Though, having said that, I do really feel that everyone is only really out for themselves..

I have voted for 3 different parties in my time, but now I realise that politicians are only in it for them and theirs so I really don't care anymore and have stopped voting. Even if they go into with a genuine belief they can change the world for the better, power corrupts. Also no matter who's in power more people didn,t vote for them than did. I prefer to live by my own rules and if I break theirs let them catch me. I don't sweat the big stuff, I just live happy and have fun.

gobbyidiot said:
Years ago a bloke published a piece proving that voting was totally irrational. One vote will almost never make a difference in a constituency, and even if it did it would almost never be the difference between one party forming a government or the other, and even if it did the parliament would be so tied all policies would effectively be a compromise.

People say, "But what if everyone thought like that?"

That's why I always watch the nine o'clock news on election day. If the lead story is "No f'kir has voted" I'll rush round the primary school, sweaty card in hand. :D

Scrawling "You can all give me a hoop dhobi" right across the ballot paper has to be counted as a wasted vote. Fancy trying to create an internet campaign for 2010 - "The Hoop Dhobi Movement"? :p
What you are talking about, in the UK at least, are called "Spoiled Votes". They ARE counted and published, but unfortunatley it makes no difference to the outcome. Even if the majority of the electorate "spoiled" their votes, the next biggest vote would win as we have a "first past the post" system.

It would be great if this changed as it would force a re election and if that were the case people would be more likely to do it. But it doesn't, so they won't.

Masses of spoiled votes would be a good protest gesture, but thats all it would be, a gesture, as a Party / Independant MP / Councillor would still be elected anyway.

bcsack

Old-Salt
Got to agree with gobby - a single vote is a waste of time - infact by voting you're supporting a system that is clearly broken - sleaze, corruption - where do you start. Recent successive governments are not carrying out the will of the people - they've dumbed down the populace to an extent where they're being farmed like sheep. This form of "democracy" has surely run it's course & it's time for change - trouble is to make this change is going to take something or someone of cataclysmic proportion.

Farmerbleep

Old-Salt
TIGER-MONKEY said:
My view is that if voting is made compulsory then "None of the above" should be on the ballot and if it wins the parties must go away and try to produce a new manifesto that people are willing to vote for.
What he said. And, I vote with my feet. NL and the Neocons are like synchronised swimmers. No difference at all. Empty promises and we all get fooked.

I vote for the smaller parties - no preference - so that the bigger ones don't get it.

Dontdreamit said:
bcsack said:
Got to agree with gobby - a single vote is a waste of time - infact by voting you're supporting a system that is clearly broken - sleaze, corruption - where do you start. Recent successive governments are not carrying out the will of the people - they've dumbed down the populace to an extent where they're being farmed like sheep. This form of "democracy" has surely run it's course & it's time for change - trouble is to make this change is going to take something or someone of cataclysmic proportion.
All political systems suffer from these traits, and as long as there is power to fight for, they always will.

However, it is extremely foolish to write off every MP as corrupt. Remember that the majority of them could actually make more money if they had of remained in their original employment.
Its not always about the money though is it (agreed for most it is).

If the public gave a sh*t we could have a single transferable vote system. Okay, in the UK it would mean endless coalitions, but given Labour's recent performance it wouldn't always be Labour/Liberal Democrat (which used to tbe the expectation). Single transferable vote and big 20 MP consituencies - candidates having to compete against people from their own party, independent representatives, a choice of who to contact if you have a problem..............

But nobody gives a crap./ The Electoral Reform Society have been busting their arse for decades and nobody cares enough to pay attention for the 2 minutes it takes to explain it, and the advantages.

Extra pension contributions and escape to a small Swiss canton - it's the way forward. Rats know a f'kin thing or two about ship design.

Latest Threads