Edited

Do you vote?

• I always/often vote

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never/hardly ever vote

• I write No Confidence on the ballot

• What's the point in voting, nothing ever changes!

• Total voters
Is the phrase "Be careful what you wish for" apt for us? I think so with most of the electorate.

I will vote whatever gets rid of that cnut Brown
However I do feel it is a wasted effort, no matter which of the leeches are in power they serve themselves and not the country.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll vote, have voted. I don't like the system, and I hate the corruption, but I won't waste my vote. I do believe that by voting at all, you are merely voting in a variation of the same regime, and they all stink to some extent.

The regime needs to be changed - politics has got to be cleaned up, and that means prison sentences for those that bring our democracy into disrepute.

Biped said:
I'll vote, have voted. I don't like the system, and I hate the corruption, but I won't waste my vote. I do believe that by voting at all, you are merely voting in a variation of the same regime, and they all stink to some extent.

The regime needs to be changed - politics has got to be cleaned up, and that means prison sentences for those that bring our democracy into disrepute.
wot he said.

...... what this nation needs (UK Plc) is some serious reforms of the Gov Organisations and electorial system.

I always cast my vote, whether it is a local or a general election I would feel disrespectful to the generations of men and women who have fought and sacrificed for my right to do so freely if I didn't. If I feel apathetic toward the two major parties (the only votes that count IMO, as no other party will achieve the power to do things any differently) then I spoil my ballot paper. The democratic process is the only opportunity the majority of us have to influence the way this country is run. I feel it is your duty to do so.

Edited three times because I am a mong.

What's needed is for the comfortable system of patronage to cease and for potential MP's to face the masses, whether that happens at the ballot box or we take up arms on the streets of London is irrelevant. Personally I'd like to volunteer as Mr Browns nemesis.

I do always vote.

ZaNuLabour scum took my vote off me as I have been outside of the country for too long for their liking.

Q

quick-morser

Pompeii said:
I always cast my vote, whether it is a local or a general election. In my opinion, it is disrespectful to the generations of men and women who have fought and sacrificed for my right to do so freely. If I feel apathetic toward the two major parties (the only votes that count IMO, as no other party will achieve the power to do things anything differently) then I spoil my ballot paper. The democratic process is the only opportunity the majority of us have to influence the way this country is run. I feel it is your duty to do so.

If you spoil your ballot paper then you haven't voted. Though I understand the frustration WE ABSOLUTELY DO owe it to previous generations to make our votes heard even if, ultimately, our choice of candidate isnt likely to be the winner.

hackle said:
TIGER-MONKEY said:
ZaNuLabour scum took my vote off me as I have been outside of the country for too long for their liking.
So you have been out of the country for more than 15 years.
Yep

The other problem is of course trust. The courts recently stated that a party's election manifesto is not binding. How can the public actually trust anything any of them say?

In the past I have seen them complaining about the electorate being cynical, yet at the same time absolutely refuse to accept that it is their own conduct that led to such a low opinion of them and their trustworthiness.

Without going down a list of all the lies that ZaNuLabour have produced since a minority of the population voted them into power, there is no real reason to believe that any of the other parties will not turn out to be just as corrupt. Lying is a form of corruption when it is done deliberately and I believe that the current government lies in an organised and specific way. They call it spin.

The aim of government is to retain power and all its trappings. The people count for nothing, until it is time to make false promises or offer a quick bribe at election time.

Whom to vote for? What is the PRINCIPAL difference between NL and Con.? And what are the chances of parties other than NL and Con. to form a government?

The problem with being forced to vote means that the 2 parties gain a false legitimacy. People will go in and tick one because they have to, not be because they particularly like the party.

My view is that if voting is made compulsory then "None of the above" should be on the ballot and if it wins the parties must go away and try to produce a new manifesto that people are willing to vote for.

Meanwhile my right to vote should be restored as I am still liable to pay Uk tax on my army pension. Fortunately I avoid paying as the pension is too small. If the unemployed are allowed to vote why not me?

quick-morser said:
Pompeii said:
I always cast my vote, whether it is a local or a general election. In my opinion, it is disrespectful to the generations of men and women who have fought and sacrificed for my right to do so freely. If I feel apathetic toward the two major parties (the only votes that count IMO, as no other party will achieve the power to do things anything differently) then I spoil my ballot paper. The democratic process is the only opportunity the majority of us have to influence the way this country is run. I feel it is your duty to do so.

If you spoil your ballot paper then you haven't voted. Though I understand the frustration WE ABSOLUTELY DO owe it to previous generations to make our votes heard even if, ultimately, our choice of candidate isnt likely to be the winner.
I hear what you're saying, mate. To be fair I've only spoiled my ballot once (2001) but it at least showed that I got off my arrse and actually participated in the democratic process.

Tell you what, although I agree that if you don't vote you shouldn't have a say, the main problem with our current system is that the electorate are too fcuking quite (I'd say excuse the language but in this case I don't, because it is something that really annoys me).

I am a member of a political party, it's not the one that my local MP is a member of but that doesn't mean that I have to ignore him for his term in office.

One of the great things that ARRSE taught me was the actual way that Parliament works and I must admit, even though I do not agree with his political stance, PTP was the fount of knowledge.

What he taught me was this. Don't like something? Complain. Not to your mates or on here, complain to your MP. Ask for EDM's (Early Day Motions). If you don't know what they are or how to do them, find out. I didn't know, I asked, I found out, I did it.

Your MP has an obligation to engage with you, whether you voted for him or not. If your idea of politics is just voting once every 4 years then frankly you are an idiot , like I was. They HAVE to listen to you, but can only do so if you converse with them in the first place.

Got a gripe about kit, pay, home life etc? By all means whine about it on here but pass it on to your MP.

My MP is Neu Arbeit, I'm a Tory. He knows that but has still responded to every letter I have sent and has backed me on quite a few things, the last one being making WW1 and WW2 veterans exempt from any means calculated benefits when it comes to winter fuel tax.

I used to think it was great that I had "Parliament" letter headed envelopes delivered to my house, I used to pin them on the letter board and feel honoured I had actually got a reply. I've since figured that it is my fcuking right to have them sent to me and no longer look at them with awe. Especially seen as I pay their wages. The crap letters now get binned and the envelopes with the pretty House of Commons logo on them get used as BBQ lighters.

Politics is never black and white, there will always be policies on their side we agree with and there will be policies on our side they agree with, regardless of party.

VOTING isn't the be all and end all. How you voice yourself after that is (and doing it in a student union or a NAAFI bar achieves FA)

You want to change things? Open your gob. As a soldier you are still a constituent and when it comes to talking about military matters, you are a constituent with clout. Have the bast*rds that send you on tours, put them on the spot. Spend 20 minutes jotting it down on an email to your MP just before the NAAFI opens.

I wish I could have had the same access to cnuts in government when I was in. You lot have. Use it.