Edinburgh Sun & Mon night

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by napier, Apr 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Travels taking me north of the border today for a couple of days. Any recommendations as to drinking/eating spots? Any ARRSERs around?

2. For eating, I was in Zico's, Opposite the EICC in Morrison Street, last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. You go and get your side dishes and they come round the tables with meat and carve it onto your plate, chicken, beef, lamb, chicken hearts, etc. If you read the reviews they are mixed but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Zico's Grill Bar Edinburgh

3. If beer is your thing I'd recommend Brauhaus on Lauriston Place. It's not the nicest of pubs to sit in for a few quiet pints and it's pretty small, but makes up for it by having the largest beer selection North of the border.

4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

5. The Witchery , on the Royal Mile. Rob a bank before you go or go with rich relatives. Also on the Royal Mile are Deacon Brodie and the Jolly Judge . On george street there's hardrock cafe and the standing order.

6. napier

Thanks all, actually bumped into a chap I last met in NZ a few years ago and spent the evening in Craigiehall. Will try a bit harder to get out tomorrow night.

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Do they still keep the Old Speckled Hen in the fridge at practically sub-zero temperatures, the heathens?

This Kiwi, not called Martin D, perchance?

8. The Standing Order stinks of vomit.

Sent by carrier pigeon using Speckled Jim

9. Is that a recommendation?

10. napier

Didn't try the Hen.
    Not a Kiwi. a Jock, called Paddy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm out in Edinburgh tomorrow night, have been told to check out Bar Kohl which is meant to be a vodka bar. Will probably end up in a few of the grassmarket bars too though they be touristy but my companions for the evening have never been out in edinburgh before and I want to stick to areas that I know fairly well. Will definitely be visiting my favourite haunt on Niddry St too, Banshee Labrynth.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for decent nightclubs midweek in edinburgh though? For clubbers in their early 20s... (I know this is a long shot since most of you are annnnnciiiiient :) )

What are the tramworks like at the moment?/Where is disruption worst?

12. Trams - Haymarket is better than it was (they have managed to put a couple of new crossing points, so you don't have to walk miles to get back to where you wanted to be). Not too sure about further into town towards the West End, as not been that far along recently.

13. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer