Edinburgh Military Tatoo 2006

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by spike7451, Aug 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just been watching it on BBC1.Very entertaining.But in the closing it was announced that it was the last one by the Officer who had directed it for the last 18 years & possibly the last one ever!!Hope not tho.
    Even Sean Connery was there,which I thought was a bit odd considering his stance on the Military.
    But it'd be just like the Blair Broardcasting Company to ditch a 57 year old tradition in favour of what,more chav reality shows?.....

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

3. The Swiss drumband was superb!!
    I never saw an performance like that.
    Really spot on.

4. Just caught the last 5 minutes of it, brought a lump to my throat along with many happy memories of working the 1999 Tattoo and drinking with some of the performers......

Surely its such a huge money maker/tourist sttraction that it would be financial suicide to be considering not doing the Tattoo any more?

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

6. lads saw it all; highlights

NZ army band; awesome

massed pipes & drums; awesome

bands of the guards; awesome

swiss drums secret corps; awesome

hang on......

it was all awesome

7. Would advise anyone even slightly impressed by the Tattoo to get to a live performance. All that atmosphere and emotion packed into a very small (maybe 2 football pitches?) arena is truly overwhelming. As I understand it, it was just the long term guy moving on and nothing about stopping it. Mind you, we used to have a Royal Tournament.......

8. Very disappointed, mainly by the TV editing.

They add nothing by leaping from one camera to another, and the effect you'd get in the arena is lost. The amount of music cut out was simply ludicrous and the music didn't tie up to the pictures.

Oh - and I still hate Highland Fcuking Cathedral with a vengeance. All left-handed (cack-handed) pipers and/or drummers should be strung up. Perverts.

Otherwise I'm Happy as Larry

PS - Top Secret very impressive, but they'd benefit from some music. There are thousands of piccolo players in Basel, the annual Fasnacht proves that. Unfortunately every cadet band will have kids doing sword fights rather than learning to play for the next couple of weeks.