Edinburgh International Book Festival 14-30 August 2010

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Auld-Yin, Jul 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ebury publishing has some authors presenting books at the Edinburgh International Book Festival which is on from 14-30 August 2010. They have asked if Arrse could get people to review these books, which range from comedy, to serious financial stuff, to a look at the world of on-line games.

I thought that this might be a chance for Arrsers to get, read, review a book and then go along and hear the author discussing the book with an audience. I would therefore like to open this up to the whole Arrse community in case there is someone who will be doing the ‘arty-farty’ bit during August in Edinburgh who would like to take this on.

The books are (with dates they are appearing at EIBF):

My Family and Other Strangers – Jeremy Hardy (17 Aug)
    How not to F*** Them Up – Oliver James (20 Aug)
    A beginner’s Guide to acting English – Shappi Khorsandi (22 Aug)
    The Future of Money – edited by Oliver Chittenden (26 Aug)
    Fun Inc – Tom Chatfield (27 Aug)
    Free - Katherine Hibbard (29 Aug)

This is a great opportunity to become involved more deeply in the review process and will allow you to hear if others, including the author, think the same way as yourself!! If you do attend I may ask you to write a short piece for the Book Review site as well as the review :D

If you would like to review one of these books drop me an e-mail at this temporary address arrse_eibf@btinternet.com. I will give preference to people who would like to attend the session relating to the book being reviewed so please say if you plan to attend. (There is a £10 fee though for the session!)

A-Y

2. Hi, I know David Blanchflower who was Deputy of the Bank of England and he has contibuted to the book "The Future of Money." It also has an introduction by Vince Cable. I am employed within the Financial Markets and will be trying to attend Edinburgh if I'm in the country at the time. If I am here I will let you know and would be happy to review.

3. Auld-Yin

I will bump this a few times over the weekend to get the best coverage.

4. I've had the privilege to work at the International book festival at Edinburgh a couple of years back, it's well worth a gander, there's sections for the kids complete with fluffy characters and the more serious authors etc, a good day out.

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Although venturing into the town in the middle of the Festival is akin to entering the third circle of hell, I am going to see Iain Banks this year.

So, having committed to playing dodge the tourist at least once, give me a shout if you get no takers for a particular book and I'll head in again.

6. Auld-Yin

Sunday morning BUMP. :D