Edinburgh festival Fringe Show

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Auld-Yin, Aug 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If you have a bit of time to spare, how about going along to the Royal Scots Club in Edinburgh for this Fringe Show? Proceeds to military charities.
    Afghan Days Bablyon Nights.jpg
  2. I'd go, but sadly I'm only there the days they're not performing.

Good luck and I hope they raise a wad of dosh (or whatever the Scottish equivalent is).
  3. Auld-Yin

Just a bump to remind people that this show has started its run. I hope to go tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.
  4. Auld-Yin

I went to this show last Friday and I was very surprised - I thoroughly enjoyed it!! :) I had been expecting a recitation of poetry a la 'Arty Farty' style - this was anything but.

The show is presented by two actors, one of whom wrote the poetry. I had a chance to talk to the guys after the show and was surprised to learn that neither had a military background, other than they had relatives who have/are serving. They certainly picked up the squaddie mindset and the readings were just the sort of words, comments, thoughts that could have been found in most teeth arm barrack rooms/ platoon bases. It was pithy, straight to the point and current; had pathos as well as humour. The work is accompanied by a slide presentation of photos from Afghanistan and are properly accredited to MoD Images.

The poetry/prose was about Afghanistan but could have been set in most conflicts of recent years.

The performers were dressed in tan slacks and shirts with boots; not a uniform but not exactly civvies either, it was nicely judged and just right. The delivery was excellent and the poetry/prose was easy to follow and very understandable.

The cost for an hour's entertainment was just £7 for ex serving personnel and £10 for others. This is, IMO well worth it.

I am not normally a poetry lover but I would recommend this show to anyone who has the chance to see it. All proceeds are going to charity - in this instance the Royal Scots Benevolent Fund. If you can't make it along to the Edinburgh show then look out for it as they do present this round the country when they have time - both are part time actors and have other jobs.

AFGHAN DAYS, BABYLON NIGHTS by Paul Finnegan, performed by Anthony Mulligan and Paul Finnegan
    At The Royal Scots Club, Abercromby Place, Edinburgh 15,16,17 August at 11 am.