Ed Miliband voted less competent than Gordon Brown

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Kitmarlowe, May 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. People have short memories.
  2. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

I find that very hard to believe.
  3. At least the Labour party can't be blamed for electing him. They all voted for his brother.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

From the article:

So, he's a better leader than Brown. No surprise there - anyone with even the faintest tinge of empathy for fellow human beings is a better leader than Brown.

But the public think he doesn't know his arse from his elbow. So, lets do some research into Millipede's background.

Ed Miliband - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What a surprise. One year after leaving Oxford (real son of the proletariat there), he's recruited as a policy researcher by the Labour party.

Experience of real life before going into politics: 1 YEAR!!!

Now remind me - why isn't he held in high regard by the British public?

• Like Like x 2
  5. I think his brother may well have had more support from MP's & the general public but only if he'd been able to manoeuvre the Labour party away from the left and onto a more centrist platform.

Then again I still wouldn't vote for them.
  6. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Oh, y'know, get up early, work hard...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. How does Cameron compare with that? I know he was advising Lamont at the time of Black Wednesday so I suspect his real life record is similar. It's a cross party pattern.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. No change there then, wiki half of the front benches, both government and opposition and you'll see a motley collection of failed lawyers, lobbyists and PR spivs who have never had a callous on their soft, pink hands in their entire lives.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Is "media researcher" real life?
  10. Yes. Its serious stuff, it narrowly beats a PPE at Oxford followed by a gap year.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blimey, Brown scores more points for competency in ballsing up the whole UK economy than Milliband does in just leading his crap party

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wordsmith

Much of a muchness.

David Cameron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Straight out of university and into the Conservatives as a political researcher 1988 - 1993. Director of Corporate Affairs (aka PR) at Charlton Communications 1994 - 2001, although he was trying to get a Tory seat from 1996 onwards. And into parliament in 2001.

He'd only been an MP for 4 years before he stood for the party leadership - his only experience of government being shadow positions and being an advisor to Lamont and Howard. Slightly more experience of real life than millipede, but his whole career has been based on talking rather than doing.

And there was me wondering why Call Me Dave talked a good fight and achieved far less...

13. Not a chance. Labour's membership numbers have been dropping like a stone since Tony told GQ magazine that his favourite food is roast polenta at the River Cafe.

Strangely enough, wealthy businessmen like Bernie Ecclestone are no longer feeling the need to donate millions to the party - ever since Labour lost the ability to change the law.

That only leaves the brothers. Over 80% of Labour party funding now comes from trade unions and most of that comes from Unite. 23 of 29 shadow cabinet members are directly "sponsored" by Unite or other unions. Ed sold Labour so he could have a crack at being PM and the unions repaid him by engineering a coup to remove the democratically elected leader of the party.

The Labour party is now a wholly owned subsidiary of the unions and Len McCluskey is the Chairman of the Board.

Unite are extracting their pound of flesh. It is very difficult to be selected for a winnable Labour seat unless you are a Unite official. McCluskey talks openly about a "party within the party" and is attempting to dictate who will be in the shadow cabinet.

With Red Len running the show and his second in command (who is one of the few remaining members of the Communist Party of Britain) telling Ed what to do, the chances of a shift to the right for Labour is about as likely as David Cameron voting UKIP.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Wordsmith

Considering half of our current crop of MP's would sell their grandmother into slavery for the chance to be a minister or have a shot at the top chair, would you like to run that comment about Call Me Dave never voting UKIP past me again?

MP's principles are not so much elastic as infinitely flexible.