Eczema in the army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am hoping to join the army within the next few years but I have a question about eczema. When I was a child I had mild eczema in the creases of my arms and was prescribed an emollient gel to sort it out. I know that the army won’t let you join if you have eczema but I had it many years ago now and it hasn’t come back since. I also heard that they are easing the rules about eczema too...do you have experience of joining with eczema or if you used to have eczema and any advice?
ta

Hello, I am hoping to join the army within the next few years but I have a question about eczema. When I was a child I had mild eczema in the creases of my arms and was prescribed an emollient gel to sort it out. I know that the army won’t let you join if you have eczema but I had it many years ago now and it hasn’t come back since. I also heard that they are easing the rules about eczema too...do you have experience of joining with eczema or if you used to have eczema and any advice?
ta
Can't speak for the army as I was RN but - the answer will probably be the same anyway...

It depends...

How bad was / is your eczema - what triggers it? Would a combination of lack of sleep, cam cream, damp clothing and showering in water your skin is not used to exacerbate it?

Check out the medical thread.

@The_Duke will be along shortly

Last edited:

Issi

War Hero
Friend of mine got quite some way through selection to be a RN officer, but was halted by the same eczema on his arms.
He was hoping to be a pilot, but was told no, in case of a sudden flare up.

Friend of mine got quite some way through selection to be a RN officer, but was halted by the same eczema on his arms.
He was hoping to be a pilot, but was told no, in case of a sudden flare up.
There's a joke in there somewhere...pilot - sudden flare up!

I was med-discharged from RN due to eczema / contact dermatitis - which was manageable up until I was involved in something that covered me in various oils/fuels...and then a further incident where the fresh water tanks onbourd were contaminated with diesel. The MO diagnosed me as having scabies. After several weeks of Derbac- and no sign of the 'scabies' subsiding..and my torso starting to resemble Simon Weston's grid-it was decided something else might actually be afoot, and I was medivacced off.

I was given the opportunity to return to normal duties when things calmed down but- the first shower onboard (water on warships is "too pure"...instantly dries your skin)... it became obvious my skin would never be the same again.

Will probably need steroid creams for life now as its prone to "flare ups"...any change in weather/temperature...sleep patterns / stress levels...there are so many variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads