Economic Recovery - and betting against yourself.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Bazzinho1977, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I am feeling very let down by the members of Arrse today.

The economic figures were issued today - with their revision. I bet myself, I mean I absolutely KNEW that there would have been one of two threads put on here. Either:

1. Growth revised upwards - Lying ONS fix figures for government thread

2. Growth revised back to recession - Complete reliance on the ONS figures - the Labour government are useless etc.

But neither one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8538293.stm

2. I take it you are sorely disapointed Bazz?
    For what its worth I read it in The Times this morning and cynical old me thought that it can't hurt Gordon's claims to be our savior.
    Sadly my cynacism has reached the level where I look at such thinks and my first thought is to wonder if its manipulated.

3. Only disappointed in that my low opinion of some of the more "fanaticised" members of the arrse community was proven wrong in this instance. Could I however argue that it is telling that if a sparrow farts somebody on here opens a thread, but massively important economic data is ignored and not even mentioned? At the very least I would have expected WC to share his views - posting data without comment being one of his fortes.*

*How the hell do you get an e with an accent above it?

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The EU commission are forecasting 0.7% for the EU as a whole:

"Recovery of the European Union economy is under way: In its forecast, the European Commission said that both the euro area and the EU would expand by 0.7 percent this year after contractions of 4 percent and 4.1 percent respectively in 2009. The growth is still fragile although risks in 2010 are broadly balanced. It also said that the euro area inflation would be 1.1 percent and 1.4 percent for the whole EU in 2010."

Whereas analysts are still saying UK could return to negative (very likely in Q1 I think).

Which means my rapidly increasing pile of Sterling in UK, (which I could really do with converting to Euros to buy a new Audi), may end up getting "invested" in expensive handmade firearms to go with all the tweed I've bought.......

5. Its 0.3% growth, but given inflation and a base rate of 0.5% surely that still counts as going backwards?

6. *How the hell do you get an e with an accent above it?[/quote]

Answer : AltGr , followed by the letter in question .

( See middle bottom row of keyboard for AltGr.)

7. The outlook for Q1 really is crystal ball stuff at present, I think. There are a number of factors. I would suggest if there is going to be a double dip recession (i.e. we go back into negative growth for two consecutive quarters) this will happen after the next election. If you are talking about one quarters dip - then that will come Q3 is my best guess

8. "The UK recession began in the April-to-June quarter of 2008, and was the longest UK downturn on record."

Gordos new song, with due deference to Shaggy

"Wasn't me, I didn't do it"

So all is now sweetness and light - thank Gordness for that!

9. Really? Why would that be?

10. Use a FRENCH keyboard eg é :lol:

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

....well as 2 quarters will definately take us past the next election that does not make you Madame Zara does it now.... :D

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Alright then, if I must.

The economy is fcuked, it's Gordon Brown's fault. Anything the government says about a: the state of the economy, b: how long it will take to fix, C: how much it will cost is a complete load of twaddle and outright lies.

All this talk about 'growth' in coming quarters is completely irrelevent to the hundreds of thousands of people dumped on the dole, or the tens of thousands who've had their homes repossessed or the tens of millions who are having to pay higher taxes so that the lying, stealing, incompetent bankers can have their multi-billion pound bonuses off the back of the tax-payer funded guarantees.

To put it simply: They're all scum, it's all lies, and here we go again, more of my money paying to put it right. Whoopie do.

Hope that helps.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Bad day mate :? :D

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Better now :D

15. Government spending for Jan 2010 has been revised up from+0.2% to +1.2% in the report.*

Take that away and its actually -0.7%, which means still in recession.

*Rumour mill says that a few Govt. Depts delayed December spending to add it to the January figures.