Economic collapse of Iceland complete.

Blogg said:
Never mind the collapse of dodgy banks, bonkers lending/borrowing & manic ploughing of money into the Uk retail market. A fate worse than economic death itself has finally come to pass.

All of Iceland’s McDonald’s restaurants will be closed at the end of the month.

So that is it. They are done for.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=amu4.WTVaqjI
Apparently, they import lots of other goods as well. I think their exports are fish, fish and... fish.

Not good when your currency has dropped like a stone.

It could never happen in this country. The PM and Chancellor would never permit it....

Litotes

Litotes said:
Blogg said:
Never mind the collapse of dodgy banks, bonkers lending/borrowing & manic ploughing of money into the Uk retail market. A fate worse than economic death itself has finally come to pass.

So that is it. They are done for.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=amu4.WTVaqjI
Apparently, they import lots of other goods as well. I think their exports are fish, fish and... fish.

Not good when your currency has dropped like a stone.

It could never happen in this country. The PM and Chancellor would never permit it....

Litotes
Minutely confused here, and somewhat frightened.

Do I understand that Iceland is not part of the world saved by the posturing oaf Brown?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No come back for Kerry Katona then. Shame :twisted:

.... At least all the Fat Munter, and Fat Chavs.. assuming Iceland has their share of them, will be able to get back into shape again..... No Big Macs Extra Large with Double Fries Large and a Bucket of Icecream.... Oh sod it... they probably make their own Icecream..... :lol:

Blogg said:
Yes, all 3 of them.
I'm so glad I read that now.

Worth going on holiday there then? 'part from the lack of Golden Arches (always did prefer half sheep head and chips anyway) is it a cheaper destination nowadays?

Alsacien

MIA
Lucky nobody listened to that egotistical moron Daniel Hannan then, this was his idea of financial Utopia and the model UK should follow........ :roll:

catchyerselfon said:
Worth going on holiday there then? 'part from the lack of Golden Arches (always did prefer half sheep head and chips anyway) is it a cheaper destination nowadays?
Reportedly, they do a nice line in a fish-eating bird that is killed, buried for 3 months and served hot - after being stewed for two days in a volcanic pool.

Or maybe cold. I forget the details as they didn't seem to be important. :D

Litotes

Litotes said:
catchyerselfon said:
Reportedly, they do a nice line in a fish-eating bird that is killed, buried for 3 months and served hot - after being stewed for two days in a volcanic pool.

Litotes
Wanna go large with that Litotes?

Urrggghhhhh :pukel:

catchyerselfon said:
Litotes said:
catchyerselfon said:

Litotes
Wanna go large with that Litotes?

Urrggghhhhh :pukel:
...and a side order of Fries!

Lits

Litotes said:
catchyerselfon said:

Litotes
Maybe you're thinking of Hakarl? They can't have two national dishes that revolting, surely?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hákarl

Maybe they could reduce their economic woes by starting an international chain of Hakarl franchises. It can't be as bad as a McDonalds.

I really don't see what the problem is!! (for both ourselves and for Iceland)... why don't we all just wrap up all of our existing loans into one, easy to manage, loan with Ocean Finance? 8O Just ask these satisfied customers!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Poor burgers, to coin a phrase. However this may save them from the global obesity pandemic.

catchyerselfon said:
Certainly is, I'm in Reykjavik right now and it's a damn sight cheaper than it was last year. 200 kronur to the quid as opposed to 130ish means that it no longer costs £7 for a small glass of house red but £4.50 instead. Ho bloody ho. Fuel is about 85ish pence for a litre but a small steak will still set you back about 5000 groats or £25! Last year, me and a mate went out for supper and had a two course meal with wine and walked away about £125 lighter, this year only about £85 - bargain! Not. Still, the country is simply stunning so it's not all bad.

Onetap said:
Litotes said:
catchyerselfon said:

Litotes
Maybe you're thinking of Hakarl? They can't have two national dishes that revolting, surely?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hákarl

Maybe they could reduce their economic woes by starting an international chain of Hakarl franchises. It can't be as bad as a McDonalds.
As I wrote; the details eluded me as it was unlikely that I would ever wish to taste it!!! Well spotted, though. I think it is the Faroe Islanders who eat a rare puffin as a delicacy!

Litotes