ECM(FP) Sqn

Alright everyone?

I've nearly finished my trade training at Blandford and recently got my posting to ECM in Northern Ireland. Im a Sys Eng Tech. but no one can tell me about the posting... Was just wondering if anyone has been posted there and what its like working there? I've been assigned to A Trp thats all I know.

I used to live in Northern Ireland so I know what the country is like I'm just after some info on the job and oppertunities... I did Lanyard with 11 Signals Regt. but I dont think ECM put a team in... does anyone know if they train for it or even enter it?

Thanks for any help and I understand due to the sensitivity of the subject of ECM it might be hard to offer some info but anything is welcome!

Cheers!

Fatwood, have you tried asking your 11 Sig Regt troop staff about it? I'm pretty sure there must be some guys in Blandford who could advise.

How about phone them and speak to another person of your trade in the unit? Best way to get introduced and get a heads up about whats happening out there.

TARE

Old-Salt
Finished in the squadron last year. Top lot, top job. Cant go into specifics on this means. PM me for details if you want.

Be prepared to deploy - at least twice..

Sqn is now part of 10 Sig Regt. The Regt put forward a team for lanyard trophy. You might be able to take part if you are in the UK (I'm currently in TELIC).

Sqn is undermaned so be prepared to be busy.

Whilst working WITH ecm just remember one thing FORGET EVERYTHING YOU WERE TAUGHT AT BLANDFORD BECAUSE WE DO NOT DO COMMS HERE !!

Smoking_Sigs said:
FORGET EVERYTHING YOU WERE TAUGHT AT BLANDFORD BECAUSE WE DO NOT DO COMMS HERE !!
I reckon you could possibly sell the unit slightly better.

a lot of us know here that we dont need what we are being taught to a certain degree but a lot of us dont even know what a technician does day to day for a job (obviously it will vary from unit to unit) but i understand that when i go to ECM it might be different from what ive been taught so i am prepared for that

As for the tours we were told 4 months on and 4 off. is that true? like ive mentioned its hard to get any info and people hear from people so the info might not be reliable at times.

Does anyone know about the accomodation and the name of the camp and so forth? i heard the accomodation is a bit crappy and to watch out for sandhurst block as its the worse but again this was from someone who heard it from someone

cheers for all the info so far tho its helped get a better understanding than before!

The unit is not to bad - located in Thiepval Bks Lisburn - see Thiepval Barracks in Lisburn

Its not on any map (except google maps eg eg ) so you should be able to find it

if not here is the address allukbusiness

I would like to point out to the OPSEC police that I am just pointing to information that is already on the net!

For other info look at 10 Sig Regt

Enjoy

Found the barracks thanks to your info. As for checking out the 10 sigs site there is hardly anything but i imagined that due to the sensitivity of the subject

does anyone know what the accomodation is like for LCpl and Sigs there? seems to be the only thing i dont know yet

thanks

Fatwood7 said:
a lot of us know here that we dont need what we are being taught to a certain degree but a lot of us dont even know what a technician does day to day for a job
So how do you (and the rest of a lot of us) know that you wont need what you are being taught?

You aren't taught anything that you wont need. Otherwise it wouldn't be taught.

Don't listen to those who feel anything that is likely to be boring to teach or in some way hard to comprehend is not really needed in your job. You will be most surprised by what is neccesary.

And yes, you will more than likely need to know it for your class 1 so don't burn your books just yet.

when i say a lot of us i refer to my course and we know that you will need it for class 1 but as a class 3 technician a few of us have been told by other technicians that we wont need what weve been taught just yet... i think ive said something but meant something else lol its interesting stuff and i love the trade (compared to others on the course) but i think we need to be told more about our trade in the field because some people sell it as a shit trade and others sell it as the almighty trade of the corp...

its hard to find a happy medium but if you know anything about the trade in the field then i would love to know cause im stumped

The T3 is not a course purely filled with info for T1 mate.

You will need what you were taught as a SysEngTech in the field army.

Otherwise when you are up to your nuts in wires trying to coerc a bit of kit in to action, you will not have a clue what all the wiggley bits and coloured things do or are supposed to do.

Then I, or someone similar, comes up and rips you a new one for not getting the comms in.

chocolate_frog said:
Not really, though it serves as a good foundation.

chocolate_frog said:
Otherwise when you are up to your nuts in wires trying to coerc a bit of kit in to action, you will not have a clue what all the wiggley bits and coloured things do or are supposed to do.
Four words of advice from Mr Miyagi: "Box out, box in" :)

And four more: "On the job training" :p

BinaryWarfare said:
chocolate_frog said:
Not really, though it serves as a good foundation.

chocolate_frog said:
Four words of advice from Mr Miyagi: "Box out, box in" :)

And four more: "On the job training" :p
What about "Box Broke, No More spares, time to be a real tech again, oh wait can't cos I don't know how to use a Soldering Iron"

If you actually sit and think about it you use a lot more of what you were taught on your T3 than you actualy realise.

Think about it this way. Although you don't get taught the ECM kit on your T3 it still uses the same basic principles. If you have the knowledge taught at Blandford as a foundation you will adapt very easily. If you think you can walk out of the factory and forget everything you've been taught because you've been told you don't need it you're in for a big shock.

chocolate_frog said:
So how do you (and the rest of a lot of us) know that you wont need what you are being taught?

You aren't taught anything that you wont need. Otherwise it wouldn't be taught.
How often have you used that maths?

Cheers to the real techs, and yaa boo raspberry to the the IS Engr wanna bes.

The Bull and roadster you weren't Radio Techs were you by anychance?

For the "Box in, Box out" generation. How do you find out which box to pull out?

There will come a time when you work with equipment that you can't simply do that. Such as when you are asked to look at the GOCs DVD player or similar on Ops.

Or when the spare little box has turned up but has a great big dent in it. And so you must get in there and bodge it as best as you can.

Or what about those technical solutions that must be thought up, such as remoting a feed across camp, or jump starting the ACU to cool the kit down (when the nearest Fridge Mech is miles away).

Box in, box out and fill out a form - the shame. You'll tell me next you want a full course on a bit of equipment before you can use it, instead of just picking up the manual and kit and cracking on.

Fatwood, you ask what the accomodation is like for Sigs/LCpls, why Sigs? Have you been a naughty boy in Blandford?

chocolate_frog said:
The Bull and roadster you weren't Radio Techs were you by anychance?
Nope.

But it never stopped me taking a 353 to pieces and fixing the fcuker as and when required. Mainly because i understand that no matter what you call a system it still operates with the same basic principles and you can use the same fault finding techniques.

Hmmmmm i see a point being made here.

As for the accomodation in Thiepval Bks. It's been a few years since i was there but I can happily say that The Sadhurst Block is both the worst and best block i've ever lived in. It's run down, falling to pieces and the fre alarm goes off at least 6 times a night. However it was one of teh most social blocks I lived in and always had the best parties.

any one got any idea what pay and allowances you get out there at the moment as im due to be posted in? also do you get lsa when on a course in england from lisbon? any one heard any dates for moving to corsham?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dingerr Northern Ireland (Op BANNER) 45
flieslikeabeagle Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 11
spacemanspiff Royal Signals 8