ECJ rules that Working Time Directive applies to all Armed Forces in EU

Interesting one from the EU Empire and its struggle with reality, the main opponents to this have been the French who have the only really serious deployable military in the bloc, however now the ECJ has finally ruled.

A noted French Politician Jean Louise Borloo, who is a former finance minister and environment minister has been kicking off all over French media about its ramifications and all power to him.

What made him so incensed was a ruling by the ECJ, despite considerable delaying tactics deployed by the French government, that the military within EU member states should be subjected to the Working Time Directive. In other words, French soldiers aren’t, er, soldiers; they are employees, and so subject to “individual timekeeping, severe limitations on night work, rigid activity planning including prior agreement from each individual to any change, precise calculation of time off, mandatory 11-hour daily rest time,” and on and on.

Now I can see the Bundeswehr and Spanish going along with this, plus a number of the minor players, but Jean Louis Borloo recognises that this issue undermines a key perception of France.

Source

Last edited:
The RAF has applied it to aircrew and controllers for years because we operate in the same airspace as civilians. In the same way, drivers' hours are enforced across MOD because we are on the public highway.

On operations, all bets are off and commanders should be empowered to decide what is acceptable.

Hells bells. I used to work 80 hour weeks (in busy periods) in Bulford, Lord knows how they would have got the work covered if we didn't work such long hours. And driving hours? Hahahahaha!
This must be the reason I've not sat behind a truck wheel since the day before I dekitted!

It’ll certainly change the British approach to battle when we next fight France an EU country.

No longer will we need to win the firefight, just wait 37 and a half hours.

Does dying at the end of a British bayonet count as work time?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
The RAF has applied it to aircrew and controllers for years because we operate in the same airspace as civilians. In the same way, drivers' hours are enforced across MOD because we are on the public highway.

On operations, all bets are off and commanders should be empowered to decide what is acceptable.

During my two Herricks we had to record our drivers hours, however due to incompetence in med group* on one tour we had a lack of qualified drivers, so it all went out of the window for certain vehicles in certain areas.
The ambulance in LKG only had one driver who was expected to also carry out normal duties when not power sliding the rover round the HLS. making good progress to collect, triage and transport casualties and patients brought in by helicopter.

When necessary (such as 'that incident' with the insurgents having a wander around inside the wire) it clearly was necessary to ignore such things. Only the weak of moral fortitude** would attempt such a thing.

*just for a change

** LCPL **** ******** (RLC) I'm looking at you (not his real name)

Interesting one from the EU Empire and its struggle with reality, the main opponents to this have been the French who have the only really serious deployable military in the bloc, however now the ECJ has finally ruled.

A noted French Politician Jean Louise Borloo, who is a former finance minister and environment minister has been kicking off all over French media about its ramifications and all power to him.

What made him so incensed was a ruling by the ECJ, despite considerable delaying tactics deployed by the French government, that the military within EU member states should be subjected to the Working Time Directive. In other words, French soldiers aren’t, er, soldiers; they are employees, and so subject to “individual timekeeping, severe limitations on night work, rigid activity planning including prior agreement from each individual to any change, precise calculation of time off, mandatory 11-hour daily rest time,” and on and on.

Now I can see the Bundeswehr and Spanish going along with this, plus a number of the minor players, but Jean Louis Borloo recognises that this issue undermines a key perception of France.

Source

The "finally" in the title completely misses the mark.

It has long been identified by the French government as one of the 8 issues likely to constrain the use of military force alongsides:

-the new "green banking" labels on banks that exclude defence industries thus depriving them of possible investors

-extra-terrtorial laws from the USA but also now from China

-NGOs targetting defence industries and convincing political parties to include weapon export bans in their programs

- banks turning away from defence industries seen as risky while compliance take an ever growing importance

-the German attitude to civilian nuclear power which could impact the whole nuclear industry sector which is vital for military nuclear activities

- French defence contractors being bought off after having been made fragile by the COVID crisis

- Growing difficulties to access strategic material

The "finally" in the title completely misses the mark.

It has long been identified by the French government as one of the 8 issues likely to constrain the use of military force alongsides:

-the new "green banking" labels on banks that exclude defence industries thus depriving them of possible investors

-extra-terrtorial laws from the USA but also now from China

-NGOs targetting defence industries and convincing political parties to include weapon export bans in their programs

- banks turning away from defence industries seen as risky while compliance take an ever growing importance

-the German attitude to civilian nuclear power which could impact the whole nuclear industry sector which is vital for military nuclear activities

- French defence contractors being bought off after having been made fragile by the COVID crisis

- Growing difficulties to access strategic material

Everything rosy in the EU then.

I bet you wish you were an independent sovereign nation, like us, so you could make your own decisions.

Does it actually say that, or has an irate politician being covered by a known anti-EU paper, been economical with the actualite?

Source

Not a new issue:

and it doesn’t apply on operations

Out of 8 problems, 7 apply also to the UK.

No I only think that strategic material does, banking and nuclear power are not an issue at all, NGO's are just standard background noise, extra territorial laws works well for our new found post Brexit flexibility :)and we can afford to buy the Frence defence co's we like :-D might have to move them across the channel tho :wink:

Last edited:
Does dying at the end of a British bayonet count as work time?
No, it's self-inflicted injury. If they hadn't started or provoked the fight then they wouldn't get shot/bayoneted or blown up. Simples.

LepetitCaporal

War Hero
Bull... Schitum
All started with a Slovénie troop, who claimed (plainte) he was over worked = underpaid ( under standable in today's society)
L.P.C.

Yesterday morning my Son in Law (RAF Loadie) had his Leave rudely interrupted with a " Come in for a briefing - you are going to xxxx tomorrow via xxxx and will be back in 5- 10 days "

Ha ha - get some ! and stay safe obvs.

Latest Threads