Eccentric Generals

Who was the most eccentric or bizarre military leader you have come accross?

Mussolini to me was plain bonkers, but Wingate's stark bollock naked briefings are also eccentric, as was Monty's dress sense.

Hughie Munro, hands down. Cracking bloke and a real gentleman.

What oddities or bizarre behaviour did he exhibit then?
He was competent, respected and a genuine leader of men. Those count as 'oddities or bizarre behaviour' amongst those who make it above regimental rank.

In seriousness, if it wasn't directly related to a professional activity, you never knew what he was going to get up to or come out with next. He's a living embodiment of the sort of officer whose men follow him out of morbid curiosity - but in a good way.

Tales I've heard include a TELIC tour where he'd walk between compounds sans CBA, wearing ToS and with his pistol buried in the depths of his daysack. He's the sort of chap who wouldn't have been at all out of place on the North West Frontier.

Tales I've heard include a TELIC tour where he'd walk between compounds sans CBA, wearing ToS and with his pistol buried in the depths of his daysack. He's the sort of chap who wouldn't have been at all out of place on the North West Frontier.

And if he had spotted one - or maybe more - of his men walking between compounds sans body armour with their weapons handily in their daysacks with their TOS at a jaunty angle what would have been his reaction?

Just saying like...

And if he had spotted one - or maybe more - of his men walking between compounds sans body armour with their weapons handily in their daysacks with their TOS at a jaunty angle what would have been his reaction?
I'd assume to do his job by rifting them for not doing theirs. Jocks shoot things, Brigadiers don't.

I've served under him, I'm more than happy with his way of doing things and I wish more officers were like him. Just saying, like.

ADBO

LE
That's a good point by smartas - at what rank are you considered to be "eccentric"? I've known full screws who certainly weren't playing with a full deck of cards, but the CoC (mainly the RSM) didn't pass off their behavior as whimsical...

Stonewall Jackson, mad as a box of frogs.

That's a good point by smartas - at what rank are you considered to be "eccentric"? I've known full screws who certainly weren't playing with a full deck of cards, but the CoC (mainly the RSM) didn't pass off their behavior as whimsical...
I'm not sure rank specifically comes into it, more time served. I've known long-service privates whose oddities were indulged by COs and RSMs who'd previously been their Platoon/Section Commanders.

Distance from the actual closing-and-killing bit probably helps, too.

ugly

LE
A certain section commander of mine who thought it character building to leave you in front of a nationalist community centre on your own whilst he went for a wander. He would also crack up the whole rifle company with his bizarre sense of humour. He was amazingly fit and hung like a donkey the bastard. He turns up now at reunions very retired with a hearing aid in each ear and a young lady in tow. Still a bastard!

Who was the most eccentric or bizarre military leader you have come accross?

Mussolini to me was plain bonkers, but Wingate's stark bollock naked briefings are also eccentric, as was Monty's dress sense.

Mussolini should have stuck to what he was good at - politics. Pulled Italian Agriculture round in an impressive manner before his head was royally turned!

I can't remember the name but a British Brigade commander in Normandy in 1944 was a bit "off the wall". During a briefing or O group he dropped to his knees in the grass and picked something up, at the same time asking if anyone had a match box. He was given a matchbox and put a small beetle into it...

Someone reminded him about the fact he was giving a briefing and he replied something along the lines of "You can fight a battle any day, but you'll only find a (insert latin name of rare beetle here) once in your life"

Damned if I can remember what the blokes name was though...

:)

Rodney2q

I'm told Field Marshal, His Royal Highness, Idi Amin Dada, (alleged) King of Scotland, was mildly eccentric and not averse to a bit of cannibalism occasionally.

Latest Threads