eBooks?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#2
I've got one of these (Sony PRS-505) and it's the bees knees. Stores over 150 novels, photos (B&W only) and MP3 music. Add in a memory card reader for extra storage and it's the business. Download e-books from t'interweb at sites like
http://www.free-ebooks.net/ and at the same time as you copy them onto your E-Reader it's charging up through the USB cable.

Share e-books around and save on space in your comfy box as well!
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#4
vvaannmmaann said:
Wouldn't sand get into the thing? How will it be re-charged? If it can't show Razzle would a squaddie want it?
No idea about sand. Recharge either through the USB port of a lappy, or buy the optional mains charger. The battery lasts for ages if you're only reading books on it, less long if you're playing music at the same time. (It doesn't have a speaker, so earphones are needed) There are many magazines (Penthouse is one) that can be downloaded in PDF Format. OK, so it's black and white, but you only get it for the articles don't you? :wink:
 
#5
vvaannmmaann said:
Wouldn't sand get into the thing? How will it be re-charged?
Nothing for sand to get into really. Would charge off a laptop I guess. Also the Sony one doesn't use battery except when you're turning pages.

Other advantage is much easier to wipe clean then Razzle.
 
#6
But wouldn't it be uncomfortable reading while you're taking a dump?
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#7
Powerslave said:
But wouldn't it be uncomfortable reading it while you're taking a dump?
Easier to read and turn the pages single handed whilst holding your beer with the other hand.
 
#8
Legs said:
Powerslave said:
But wouldn't it be uncomfortable reading it while you're taking a dump?
Easier to read and turn the pages single handed whilst holding your beer with the other hand.
But imagine you're straining enough as it is on the khazi and you've got this weight on your thighs giving out heat.....
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#9
Powerslave said:
Legs said:
Powerslave said:
But wouldn't it be uncomfortable reading it while you're taking a dump?
Easier to read and turn the pages single handed whilst holding your beer with the other hand.
But imagine you're straining enough as it is on the khazi and you've got this weight on your thighs giving out heat.....
It weighs no more than a paperback and doesn't get hot...

Read, shit and be merry!
 
#10
Legs said:
Powerslave said:
Legs said:
Powerslave said:
But wouldn't it be uncomfortable reading it while you're taking a dump?
Easier to read and turn the pages single handed whilst holding your beer with the other hand.
But imagine you're straining enough as it is on the khazi and you've got this weight on your thighs giving out heat.....
It weighs no more than a paperback and doesn't get hot...

Read, shit and be merry!
Okey-dokey. I'm just old-fashioned and a bit on the tactile side.....
 
#11
Just be very gentle with it. It's not that sturdy and Sony really stick their arm in when charging for repairs.
 
#13
It's been mentioned on another thread that the whole series of The Zone is now in pdf format (for free) - anyone got a link to it?
 
#15
Wouldnt it be more approiate to buy a FULLY RUGGEDIZED 2-IN-1 NOTEBOOK WITH 10.4" TOUCHSCREEN.TOUGHBOOK CF-19 instead of a Sony PRS-505 at least it is more durable .
 
#16
Cheapskate that I am, I picked up a second hand ipaq for about £10 off ebay, loaded it with ebooks in .lit and .pdf format.
Much easier to read on the Metro than trying to turn pages on a book.
Charging via mains or USB.
Repacing the battery is a doddle and fairly cheap (£3) when it gives up on charging, normally lasting about a year of charge/discharge.
They can be setup for vid/mp3 playback and some have CF or SD slots.
 
#17
Roadki11 said:
Cheapskate that I am, I picked up a second hand ipaq for about £10 off ebay, loaded it with ebooks in .lit and .pdf format.
Much easier to read on the Metro than trying to turn pages on a book.
Charging via mains or USB.
Repacing the battery is a doddle and fairly cheap (£3) when it gives up on charging, normally lasting about a year of charge/discharge.
They can be setup for vid/mp3 playback and some have CF or SD slots.
Pretty much the definition of an eBook, though a bit heavier in your smock and a lot lighter on your wallet.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top