Ebola Watch!

Interesting article on the FP website:
Ebola Has Gotten So Bad, It’s Normal
Is 2019 the year we see Ebola breaking out into a pandemic?
In all likelihood I would say yes given this comment in the article.
Despite having a tool kit at its disposal that is unrivaled—including a vaccine, new diagnostics, experimental treatments, and a strong body of knowledge regarding how to battle the hemorrhage-causing virus—the small army of international health responders and humanitarian workers in Congo is playing whack-a-mole against a microbe that keeps popping up unexpectedly and proving impossible to control. This is not because of any special attributes of the classic strain of Ebola—the same genetic strain that has been successfully tackled many times before—but because of humans and their behaviors in a quarter-century-old war zone.
Ebola Has Gotten So Bad, It’s Normal

The areas affected by Ebola are 'world travel hubs' with third world standards, internal conflicts and cultural practices that help not hinder its spread.

I came across an update that seemed to indicate 72 confirmed new cases between Dec 24th and Jan 14th.

ESRI update

If you scroll down the left column on that page there are like to additional information.

Rolling on, but getting very little media coverage.

'Congo's Ebola epidemic has now exceeded 1,000 cases, the Health Ministry said on Monday, with a death toll of 629 in the world's second-worst outbreak ever.

'Health workers have been better prepared for this latest epidemic of the hemorrhagic fever, which causes severe vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding, and kills more than half those it infects. New technologies like a trial vaccine, experimental treatments and futuristic cube-shaped mobile units for treating patients have helped curb the spread of the virus.

'Last Wednesday, authorities confirmed a case of Ebola in Bunia, another city of close to 1 million people.'

Congo Ebola epidemic exceeds 1,000 cases, according to Health Ministry

My bold.. when it was "Elisabethville" in the Belgian Congo, it used to be a good civilised place to go from N. Rhodesia for a taste of something different...

I'm in Lubumbashi at the moment. It's not Monte Carlo, but it is a hell of a lot better than some places I've been to (Mali, Chad, Nigeria etc). Here's the same building I snapped today around lunchtime:

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm in Lubumbashi at the moment. It's not Monte Carlo, but it is a hell of a lot better than some places I've been to (Mali, Chad, Nigeria etc). Here's the same building I snapped today around lunchtime:

Interesting what's the rest of the infrastructure like, roads, water supply etc?

More worryingly is what could be done deliberately with some infected samples ?

I saw it on a tv show recently and wondered if it was feasible?
Tom Clancy used it as a plotline in one of his book's about 25 years ago. It's just a bug so no doubt able to be weaponised, or the body fluids/matter of those affected used if handled and stored correctly prior to dissemination.

Tom Clancy used it as a plotline in one of his book's about 25 years ago. It's just a bug so no doubt able to be weaponised, or the body fluids/matter of those affected used if handled and stored correctly prior to dissemination.
My thankfully very brief experience of what may have been ebola (https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/ebola-watch.211715/post-5656201) leads me to think that it would be very possible to 'weaponise'. Those handling the fluids/body parts would have to follow a severely credible protocol, though; the first, fairly mild, symptoms can appear up to 3 weeks after exposure, so only those wishing to go to their gods early should be involved in packaging and delivery.

They've been spending some money on the place. Looks a shed load better than when I was there in the '90s.

BOT - We were working around the Kikwit area when the disease first became an issue around 20 years ago. Nasty, yet the locals didn't seem too fazed by it all.

Interesting article from the Foreign Policy website - citing increasing local mistrust of the "Ebola Industry":
Cliches Can Kill in Congo

Ebola has been weaponised already. Fortunately, the folks who did it, and take one wild guess as to whom it was, didn't make it airborne and cold weather resistant. *

Considering that they put smallpox in ICBM warheads and put those on ICBMs, that was very restrained of them. Oh yeah, and they did also do something similar to the anthrax bacillus, or at least tried to. Go look up
the Sverdlovsk Incident
if you really want a nice evil giggle, on several different levels. Just don't ask a certain Professor Meselson from Harvard U about it if you don't want him to gum you to death.

*( Oops, almost forgot - they had already done that stuff with Yersinia pestis. AKA that thing that nearly wiped out the Middle East and depopulated large swathes of Europe during the reign of Emperor Justinian I.)

Biological Weapons Convention? What Biological Weapons Convention are we talking about here?

Ebola has been weaponised already. Fortunately, the folks who did it, and take one wild guess as to whom it was, didn't make it airborne and cold weather resistant. *

Considering that they put smallpox in ICBM warheads and put those on ICBMs, that was very restrained of them. Oh yeah, and they did also do something similar to the anthrax bacillus, or at least tried to. Go look up
the Sverdlovsk Incident
if you really want a nice evil giggle, on several different levels. Just don't ask a certain Professor Meselson from Harvard U about it if you don't want him to gum you to death.

*( Oops, almost forgot - they had already done that stuff with Yersinia pestis. AKA that thing that nearly wiped out the Middle East and depopulated large swathes of Europe during the reign of Emperor Justinian I.)

Biological Weapons Convention? What Biological Weapons Convention are we talking about here?
In the “Muscovite Mindset” international treaties and conventions are only seen as tools to weaken their perceived adversaries. They are viewed as non-binding to itself, if Moscow cannot be coerced to be constrained by them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rizzo Medals 1
FEASG Medals 85
modwatchdog Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa 35