Ebola Watch!

I lived in DRC for 5 years when it was called Zaire. It was, is and ever shall be on everyone’s shithole list.

Unless of course you live in Chad. Chad is even worse. Chad is on the DRC’s shithole list.

Are you me? Lubumbashi was shit, Kalemi not much better.

Flew with a bloke who told me while we night stopped in Mbandaka that he'd been in there a few years earlier to evac a load of refugees.

One old bloke rocked up with all his kit in a cheap cardboard suitcase and a goat on a bit of string. UN staff told him he had to have the goat in a crate if he wanted to take it along. Old bloke wandered off and returned a few minutes later wearing all his kit in multiple layers, couple of holes cut in the suitcase for Billy's head and legs and suitcase/goat combo waddling along next to him guided by the handle. Mate just laughed at the ingenuiy and helped him walk the suitcase up the ramp.

It does sound like they are doing a decent job of containing the recent outbreak. Lots of information here:

Link to Ebola outbreak info

They should smash this one- easy access and relatively organised neighbours.

Also 'Mangina'. *chortle*

Close to Beni/Bunia area. Still eating each other in those parts. Wouldn't want to be an unarmed med team wandering about there.

They should smash this one- easy access and relatively organised neighbours.

Also 'Mangina'. *chortle*
During the early part of the 2014-2016 outbreak in Liberia and other bits of west Africa the WHO person in charge was Dr Luis Sambo. He clearly was better at divvying up UN public health funds than dealing with epidemics. He was was replaced.
I was once talking with a group of friends during the outbreak and said "Looks like Sambo was not prepared to cope with an outbreak like this" I think I should have said "Dr Luis" before Sambo as I was immediately accused of being a horrible horrible racist.

Now potentially in a major population centre and with active transport links.

'Democratic Republic of Congo has recorded its first death from Ebola in the eastern trading hub of Butembo, a city of almost a million with links to Uganda that could complicate efforts to control the outbreak, health officials said on Wednesday. The epidemic is believed to have killed 85 people since July and infected another 39. Most have been in villages but about 20 cases have been in Beni, a city of several hundred thousand people with close links to Uganda.

'Butembo, about 55 km (35 miles) away, is two or three times the size of Beni. It straddles a major trading route for consumer goods entering Congo from East Africa and for Congolese exports of artisanal gold, coltan, timber and other materials to East African ports via Uganda. “Ebola case from Beni has died in Butembo DRC,” Peter Salama, the World Health Organization’s head of emergency operations, wrote on Twitter. “Good news is case detected quickly, response already in place and expanding. Bad new(s) is increases risk of further spread, and having Ebola in an urban center makes ending the outbreak much harder,” he said.'

Congo records first Ebola death in major eastern trade hub

Are you me? Lubumbashi was shit, Kalemi not much better.

Flew with a bloke who told me while we night stopped in Mbandaka that he'd been in there a few years earlier to evac a load of refugees.

One old bloke rocked up with all his kit in a cheap cardboard suitcase and a goat on a bit of string. UN staff told him he had to have the goat in a crate if he wanted to take it along. Old bloke wandered off and returned a few minutes later wearing all his kit in multiple layers, couple of holes cut in the suitcase for Billy's head and legs and suitcase/goat combo waddling along next to him guided by the handle. Mate just laughed at the ingenuiy and helped him walk the suitcase up the ramp.
My bold.. when it was "Elisabethville" in the Belgian Congo, it used to be a good civilised place to go from N. Rhodesia for a taste of something different...

I remember those buildings. It was a shithole when I was there. Those roads have deteriorated to the point there was no tar left, just a swamp with dongas and potholes everywhere. You exceeded 5mph at your peril.

The zoo was one of the best in the world back in the day, with all that wildlife right on their doorstep. When I was there in the mid '90s the animals had all been eaten and it was just another fucked up broken down suburb with people living in the cages and enclosures.

The cops weren't paid and made their living extorting money from anyone dumb enough to stop for them. Learned very quickly to just duck around them up on the sidewalk when they dragged an oil drum or a log into the road as a roadblock. If you were dumb enough to stop the fine was an automatic 300 USD. If you didn't have it on you they arrested you and chucked you in the slammer until you paid. Anyone going out would have to let others know (a matter of survival) and if you weren't back in a couple of hours they'd grab some cash and start looking for you in one of the many police cells around the city(ha!). No landline network and no mobile phones back then so it was easy to disappear without a trace.

Accidents were a nightmare. As a mzungu you were automatically at fault and would be chucked in the slammer until they tried and convicted you and you either paid a fine or went to prison, depending on the severity of the 'offence' and the mood of the cops/judge. It would always be your fault and the judgement would reflect that, no matter if you were stopped away from the road and some drunken idiot in a broken down wreck with no brakes came off the path and hit you. The locals drive like cunts so you had to be permanently on your toes and their vehicles were in shit state. I saw more than one pickup driving around with only three wheels and a couple of blokes in the back to counter balance the missing front wheel.

A mate doing a test flight on an aircraft had an accident on landing. To avoid the inevitable shit circus, he was dragged out of the cockpit by his mates while someone shot off to buy him a ticket out of the country and grab his passport at the office. At the same time another bloke ran across to the aircraft that was getting ready to leave and talked the boss into waiting a few minutes while they dragged him across and loaded him in his seat. Passport and ticket arrived and off he went. His kit was bagged up and sent on a later flight.

I often wonder if those in the liberal west have any clue what it is they wished on SA.

Last edited:
I just read an updated situation report from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Might be of interest to some. There are links to other resources at the bottom left of the linked page:

ESRI summary update on Ebola outbreak

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rizzo Medals 1
FEASG Medals 85
modwatchdog Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa 35