Ebola Watch!

Interesting.

I remember seeing a ?Panorama report on USSR-era Russia using phages a lot instead of antibiotics from ?1960's-80's.
It's like using anteaters to get rid of ants, they'll not suddenly start eating cows, but the ants might burrow deeper, or come out at midday instead of morning.
Phages are a bit like putting a lion into a hen coop. they'll chew everything up & then hang around not bothered for a while.

I used to think bleach was pretty ultimate..until you get bacteria that hide in biofilms 'slime'. So high dose radiation? Denisococcus radiodurans [sp?], and a Bacillus. Sulphate reducing bacteria in superhot/acidic deepsea vents & colouful geysers on land.... 'extremophiles' are mad and hard as nails.

Ebola used to be like a phage in that it'd burn through humans quickly then recede as no (human) hosts left to get to in time.. encroachment on wild reservoirs, spread of bushmeat vs farmed mea? quite a range of pathogenicity, can spread further before people drop -
maybe it's time to treat it like TB used to be, kept in sanitoriums, enforced drug treatment (not 'half a course of antibiotics in the community and hydration/sedation').

I really liked The Hot Zone book and film'Outbreak'..except they had salmonellae in a virology dept...

Do we still have a heavy lift fleet to get the body back or will she have to go by sea?
Get her body back? Get... her... body... back...? Nope. I recognise each individual word of course, but the way you have ordered them makes no sense. It almost implies - and you will have to forgive me for misunderstanding your comment - that you wouldn't be leaving her fat, raddled carcass over there!

Get her body back? Get... her... body... back...? Nope. I recognise each individual word of course, but the way you have ordered them makes no sense. It almost implies - and you will have to forgive me for misunderstanding your comment - that you wouldn't be leaving her fat, raddled carcass over there!
What a disgraceful thing to say!! The DRC, a poor country, is facing a possible outbreak of a very dangerous communicable disease. The UK is a wealthy country and if it sends her over there the UK has a responsibility to take her back. Why should to poor Africans have to deal with a massive amount of biological waste sent from Britain.

The Ebola virus seems to be an infection that could quickly spread very far and very wide, if corresponding precautions are not taken. I've read about the disease on Wikipedia: Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia and also about related diseases.

There are a few aims of producing a "cure" for Ebola, as here: rVSV-ZEBOV vaccine - Wikipedia which, in itself, is a good thing, but does anyone know of a company/a person actively working on a viable vaccination against Ebola?

The reason I ask is because malaria has been a serious risk to life for, literally, centuries. However, it was almost always restricted to "exotic" countries and, as such, uninteresting for the pharma industry in general. However, when malaria started to infect "westerners", there was correspondingly more interest in finding counter-measures.

So is Ebola going to have the same sort of history? Sort of: We're not concerned about youse dying (since we can't actually make money off you), but we're very worried that the disease could cause a dip in our profits".

MsG
Regarding Malaria - They could have done it a while ago, but the effect would have been much worse for the planet, as it involved wiping out the mosquito, but then many living things that they were their only food source would have been wiped out to (i.e inland lakes containing fish)

Can genetically modified mosquitoes eradicate malaria?

Mosquito Predators – what eats mosquitoes?

Zika Raises the Question: Are Mosquitoes Necessary?

Role of Fish as Predators of Mosquito Larvae on the Floodplain of the Gambia River

Last edited:
Malaria is singularly the best environmental guardian ever created.
True. Scientists are constantly banging on about the Earth being overpopulated while at the same time trying to stop Mother Nature from doing her best to control population growth. In the last 100 years we have increased life expectancy by 40 years

Given the still present penchant of the Natives to occasionally be cannibals, see here A Congo Mother Survives Cannibalism to Save Her Children: Why Her Photo Matters
snip "Maria told the photorapher that she lost the limb defending her children from one of the militant groups then terrorizing Ituri province, her home. Soldiers hacked it off at the elbow and ate the flesh. Maria does not say if the soldiers forced her to watch as they cooked and consumed her arm, but she would not have been the first in Ituri's war. When the sub-conflict of the Congolese Civil War peaked from 1999 to 2003, stories of cannibalism started to trickle out". If her carcase was left there it would feed a whole tribe for several days, well if they didn't gorge themselves.

Do we still have a heavy lift fleet to get the body back or will she have to go by sea?
They've already prepared her burial plot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rizzo Medals 1
FEASG Medals 85
modwatchdog Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa 35