Ebola Watch!

A pedant writes:

The Black Death was one of 3 major pandemics, usually dated from the mid-500s. The term 'Black Death' is a catch-all that refers to one of the symptoms of bubonic plague (acral gangrene causes the finger tips to blacken). The last recorded outbreak is officially dated as ending in 1959.

Wiki tells me that the last naturally occurring case of smallpox is dated 1977.

All in all, Gary, there's hope yet.
And they say that the Black Death led to the Pedant's Revolt.

Was talking about this with the missus last night. There's too many people on the planet due to advances in medical science. The old diseases that used to kill off a few million at a time are practically cured and we're living longer.
Nature is trying it's hardest to do us over, and it'll keep going until something comes along that culls us down quite a bit.
Just hang on a bit until antibiotics stop being effective. Thats a war we're already loosing. Nature may have taken a back seat for a moment and had a punt with the likes of avian flu and ebola just to keep us busy but what until the likes of MRSA takes a grip.

Just hang on a bit until antibiotics stop being effective. Thats a war we're already loosing. Nature may have taken a back seat for a moment and had a punt with the likes of avian flu and ebola just to keep us busy but what until the likes of MRSA takes a grip.
I remember watching a video of a petri dish full of antibiotic jelly, with a stronger dose every little bit, the centre being something like 1000x strength of a normal antibiotic dose, and they filmed this bacteria adapting to survive at each level, finally moving into the centre.
Scary shit.

Found the link, cant link it properly due to being on DII

Bacteriophages are the future

Phage therapy - Wikipedia

One positive note about response to Ebola outbreaks from a US perspective.
Trump recently fired British born Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General of the US and replaced him with Rear Admiral Sylvia Trent-Adams of the US Public Health Service as acting (for now) Surgeon General.

Doctor Murthy was quite young and bright. He has little experience with epidemics and communicable diseases. He was however the founder and head of a group known as "Physicians for Obama" which raised funds for Obama's political campaigns. During his time as Surgeon General he focused on getting gun ownership recognized as a public health issue and sought the ability to get some regulatory authority over guns. He also worked closely with Mrs Obama on her campaign to regulate school lunches and child nutrition. Sadly the result of that program was a tendency for kids to dump their "healthy" lunch in the bin and stop for Big Macs and junk food on the way home. Kids do not like broccoli and cauliflower on their plates 4 or 5 times a week,

RADM Trent-Adams is a bit different. She is a nurse and after getting a BS and MS in nursing she joined the US Army and was an Army Nurse for six years. After the Army she joined the officer corps of the US Public Health Service and served primarily in the area of control of communicable diseases, the primary responsibility of the USPHS. In 2014, a RADM by that time, she was deployed to Liberia to head up the US effort to control the Ebola epidemic in Liberia and west Africa in general. She received a medal for her efforts there. I know some of my British friends criticize the US system of medals but in my opinion people who deploy to the midst of an epidemic of something like Ebola are heroes. I certainly would not volunteer for duty like that..

I think RADM Trent-Adams will be a good leader for the Commissioned Officer Corps of the USPHS. I do wonder of this means more career officers in leadership positions. Ten years ago more than half (actually around 2/3rds ) of the leadership positions at the Centers for Disease Control where career commissioned officers from the Corps. That ratio is down to around 25% right now. Given epidemics and the risks of Bio-terrorism the CDC needs to be kept strong.

I put Keith Vaz stopping his current police investigation due to him catching ebola and no one took me seriously. Who's laughing now. He'll be off for a fact finding mission but won't get off the plane and then back, "sorry I'm too ill."

Maybe we can encourage Diane Abbot to pop over to DRC and assess the situation by getting up close and personal with the locals. If she does that, I'll happily pretend to be really sad at her funeral.

Maybe we can encourage Diane Abbot to pop over to DRC and assess the situation by getting up close and personal with the locals. If she does that, I'll happily pretend to be really sad at her funeral.
Do we still have a heavy lift fleet to get the body back or will she have to go by sea?

Do we still have a heavy lift fleet to get the body back or will she have to go by sea?
She'll putrify, so will probably get poured into an oil tanker quite nicely. Then just pump it out when it gets here. Give it all a quick go over with Cillit Bang and it's ready for Lilly Allen. Job jobbed.

As our country is over crowded, surely wiping out a good number is just what we need

Is it really such a bad thing when we can't trust our government to control immigration?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
The Ebola virus seems to be an infection that could quickly spread very far and very wide, if corresponding precautions are not taken. I've read about the disease on Wikipedia: Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia and also about related diseases.

There are a few aims of producing a "cure" for Ebola, as here: rVSV-ZEBOV vaccine - Wikipedia which, in itself, is a good thing, but does anyone know of a company/a person actively working on a viable vaccination against Ebola?

The reason I ask is because malaria has been a serious risk to life for, literally, centuries. However, it was almost always restricted to "exotic" countries and, as such, uninteresting for the pharma industry in general. However, when malaria started to infect "westerners", there was correspondingly more interest in finding counter-measures.

So is Ebola going to have the same sort of history? Sort of: We're not concerned about youse dying (since we can't actually make money off you), but we're very worried that the disease could cause a dip in our profits".

MsG

The Ebola virus seems to be an infection that could quickly spread very far and very wide, if corresponding precautions are not taken. I've read about the disease on Wikipedia: Ebola virus disease - Wikipedia and also about related diseases.

There are a few aims of producing a "cure" for Ebola, as here: rVSV-ZEBOV vaccine - Wikipedia which, in itself, is a good thing, but does anyone know of a company/a person actively working on a viable vaccination against Ebola?

The reason I ask is because malaria has been a serious risk to life for, literally, centuries. However, it was almost always restricted to "exotic" countries and, as such, uninteresting for the pharma industry in general. However, when malaria started to infect "westerners", there was correspondingly more interest in finding counter-measures.

So is Ebola going to have the same sort of history? Sort of: We're not concerned about youse dying (since we can't actually make money off you), but we're very worried that the disease could cause a dip in our profits".

MsG
Bit of a sweeping statement and based on ignorance. Rachel Carson is credited by some as the driving force behind millions of deaths from malaria. It has been suggested that it could have been eradicated by now if it was not for her adn others efforts.

Malaria Summit.

It's especially fitting that we're doing this in the United Kingdom. The British people's ongoing generosity has helped reinvigorate the malaria fight. And more than a century after Sir Ronald Ross discovered that mosquitoes transmit the parasite, British R&D is still giving us the tools we need to win it.
I don't use superlatives lightly. But thanks to the commitment and strategic vision of so many of you in the audience, progress against malaria has been one of the most impressive successes in global health in this generation.
Read the complete artical then come back and edit you comment to reflect fact not the fiction you are sprouting.