Ebay Skanking Tw*ts?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by CptDanjou, Jul 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could not find a business section on Arrse , how about one ?

Anyway , I just sold an item on ebay and my ad very clearly stated in big red letters that payment by paypal is subject to a 3.4% surcharge and requested customers pay me direct by credit or debit card .
    So a guy buys the goods and pays by paypal but does not pay the extra 3.4% , he`s refusing to do so and says its illegal/against ebay policy to charge extra for using paypal , surely insisting this is anti competitive and illegal itself?
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Sorry you are screwed - Ebay specifically state that you are not allowed to add in the costs of using Paypal into the final price as a surcharge.

I'd keep quiet and not put it on the next auction you do as they can remove the auction, not repay your listing fees and ban you for this.

The specific part of the agreement is below:

p.s. do what everyone else does and include it in the P&P costs.
  3. Why have you added a surcharge?
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Just put in the ad that payment is by cc only and paypal isn't accepted. It's your choice if you want to use paypal or cash in hand.
  5. Its a bit like the 2%ish people put on for using your Credit Cards I think its wrong.

You want the flexibility of cleared funds in your bank so you should pay the 2% charge for that pleasure, why should I have to pay both the Credit Card charges and your 2% charge for quick cash.

Shouldn't have put the option to pay by Paypal without a little extra on your sale, unlucky :)
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Unfortunately the Ebay selling agreement also says you have to offer Paypal as a payment process, it doesn't have to be your only option but you must offer it.

7. I pay less than 1% for credit cards and 25p for debit cards.

You dont have the option not to accept paypal.

You dont get, it`s you that gets charged extra because of the thieving banks and credit card companies , the retailer just charges more to cover it and fund are not available instantly , upto 5 days is normal.
  8. PayPal fees are part of their regular income stream and they will go to great lengths to protect it; just increase the cost of your products to cover their surcharge.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There is a group, PM Arte et Marte for details.
  10. Or do what others do. Increase the postage!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. To be honest never really noticed the non opt out option for Paypal always used it for the piece of mind that I'd get the money.

Also for the relative cost of 3% its never really been a problem, that really depends on the price of what your selling. £20 = 60p charge not alot in the general scheme of things.

However I've always put 3% onto what ever i'm selling to keep me happy.

At the end of the day the price is what you're paying the % charge only hurts when someone gets to the check out and says I'm now going to charge you 3% for the privilage of buying from me, which I hate.

As someone said they have to make some money. :)
  12. Just because Ryan Air rip people off with extra charges dosn't mean every one else should try it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ebay charges around 10% on many items then add 3.4% for paypal ,add`s up to a lot on some of the products I sell which are generally around the £400 mark,greedy cnuts
  14. I dont hide my charges til the end of the transaction like ryanair and I give people a workable free option.
  15. Well how is Paypal meant to pay its employees?