Ebay fraud

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forces_Sweetheart, Dec 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For all you ebayers...

I received a very authentic-looking email from fraudsters this week saying my account needed verification and giving me a link to click on to log in. It looked real enough - I clicked on the link but stopped before logging on as I checked the url and it was dodgy. I reported it ebay fraud and they confirmed it was bad and are looking into it.

The other ebay scam doing the rounds is a 'you were outbid - here are similar items' email which also requires log on.

Here's the text of the e-mail I received:

eBay user,

You are registered with eBay using the following email address (my e-mail@hotmail.com).
    As part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a period review of our member accounts.
    You are requested to visit our site by following the link given below
    Please fill in the required information.
    This is required for us to continue offering you a safe and risk free environment to run your auctions, and maintain the eBay Experience.
    Thank you!

Allen Andrews,
    FADE Protection System Manager.

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
    Please review our Privacy Policy for further details.
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

These spoof emails are extremely common, and are 'phishing' for personal details. Phished accounts are also often hijacked and used for scam auctions. Other spoof emails purport to come from PayPal, and work on the same principle.

Whilst spoofs are sometimes easy to spot because of grammatical or spelling mistakes, the main giveaway is that real Ebay emails never require the user to click a link to confirm identity, but will instruct the user to log in on the site.
  3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Top tip: A reputable organisation will not ask you for your login details.

Like a bank or even eBay! :wink:
  4. Not even my banks (or Ebay) ask for your password, the most they would do is ask you to verify your personal details to log in. Like someone else said - they are all too common now - I got one some time back in the year, where it required me to enter my details. I filled it in and send it back to them.

Funnily enough, they've never got round to using my KissMyAr$e Card under my username UCOULDN'TDOBETTERTHANTHAT?

5. They are becoming fairly common.

Send eBay ones to spoof@ebay.com and pay pal ones to spoof@paypal.com

Don't even be tempted by one no matter how "real" it looks
  6. I have had several. I think it's only Americans who respond to these types of spam, phishing mails.

Its not rocket science, it's brain surgery, Smithers!
  7. Ebay supplies a toolbar that you can download. This will automatically alert you when you receive a spoof ebay message.