eBay - Flogging Gongs

Perevodchik said:
You are absolutely right. A/Cpl tends to have a sub rank of SAC.
You didn't say sub.

They all wear Cpl rank, some are sub Cpls some are acting (until the 5 - 6 year point). They are all, however, snivelling arrogant twats who would grass on their own mothers.

Yes I do, conclusively, hate them with a passion.

They are like wasps: they are born, live, and eventually die in a constantly pissed-off state. They accomplish nothing except serving to annoy everyone they come into contact with.

deerhunter said:

They are like wasps: they are born, live, and eventually die in a constantly pissed-off state. They accomplish nothing except serving to annoy everyone they come into contact with.
One of them nicked you once didn't they?

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
deerhunter said:

One of them nicked you once didn't they?
No mate, five separate occasions. The heinous crimes ranging from not displaying a car pass "correctly" to parking within 25m of a building. They are little more than MOD traffic wardens.

Scorptin said:
There was a Sgt at the last WO Convention Mess Dinner with no medals. Not even the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal!
Tell me he wasn't Corps, or at the very least a darksider! ;)

Go on deerhunter, you know you want to.............

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Scorptin said:
There was a Sgt at the last WO Convention Mess Dinner with no medals. Not even the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal!

Of course he was Corps (otherwise he would not, as a Sgt, been allowed to attend the Convention Mess Dinner).

They should make a sport out of this!

deerhunter said:
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Scorptin said:

Of course he was Corps (otherwise he would not, as a Sgt, been allowed to attend the Convention Mess Dinner).

As DH was quick to point out Op Int & Spy, indeed Corps, and I'm afraid to say one of us Dimsiders!

deerhunter said:
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Scorptin said:

How obvious to I have to be? Yet you still went for it!

Scorptin said:
Perevodchik said:
I probably shouldn't say this, but we've got one too.
Surely we should hide them away until they have done a tour or 2!
Call me a coward if you will, but if I had no gongs I'd do everything possible to get out of wearing any form of dress that would reveal my dirty little secret.

Perevodchik said:
Alternatively, what about not promoting the det-dodging barstewards? I mean, it isn't like it's hard to get medals these days.
Vodchick, an inspiring thought! Maybe it should be a prerequisite for promotion to have done at least one Op tour!

Scorptin said:
Perevodchik said:
Alternatively, what about not promoting the det-dodging barstewards? I mean, it isn't like it's hard to get medals these days.
Vodchick, an inspiring thought! Maybe it should be a prerequisite for promotion to have done at least one Op tour!
I've always been told that a board looks more favourbly on those candidates with Op inserts.

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Scorptin said:
Perevodchik said:
I've always been told that a board looks more favourbly on those candidates with Op inserts.
Well CR will possibly be in with a shout of the WO2 board next year after his little holiday.

Then again back in reality land maybe not!!

Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Scorptin said:
Perevodchik said:
That's true, certainly that the board acknowledges that Active Service or a detachment is key experience, or presents an environment outside the normal benign Garrison Service routine. It's actively encouraged as almost Personal Development for subordinates - by some commanders at least.

To accelerate quickly to Sgt in this Corps is certainly not unusual. Having done no tours in the 7/8 years that this soldiers has served (?) does seem very odd.

I agree with you all, that I would not attract attention to myself by going to a formal dinner with no gongs? Clearly the man has no shame.

What will be interesting to see is if this person makes the effort now to get some sand between his toes! Or is he going to be a Staffy in 2 years and still have a bare chest. (Sorry for the pun Mr P Modium).

It does make you wonder what has been written in his CRs? He must be brilliant at whatever he does if he out-performs his oppo's on boards?

I too, have always been told that Op Tours are without doubt the way to get on.

There is another way to look at this.....how many very well qualled people have you met that have done every mil qual under the sun, but strangely enough have limited Op experience? I know loads. Don't get me wrong, there are those that have a bit of both but in my humble and limited experience the former tend to have had the time to do the myriad of cses.

Perhaps that is why his CRs read so well? That, or the Corps promotes people too early?

Dags_is_innocent said:
That, or the Corps promotes people too early?
The Corps does promote people too early. Everyone nowadays expects an A Y in their CRs. Are we saying that all our soldiers are well above average and should be promoted? There are some out there who are unpromotable. Some individuals in their first CR in a new rank expect an AY. They are saying that 12 months ago they were a Cpl, newly promoted to Sgt, and a CR saying that they are ready for SSgt. However some CoCs write this. This is where the whole thing falls down and people who should be promoted are not.