eBay - Flogging Gongs

Ok, so who is gonna give me details of where i can get mine valued?

Any Walts out there looking for some Bling for 2007? :D

Next_to_the_Tank said:
Next_to_the_Tank said:
subbsonic said:
me n bee said:
Good on her, no use to man nor beast when you are out of the green and when there are mouths to feed!!!
If someone who is ex Corps is that hard up, ICA should really be on the case. They can have all my desert combats, as well as the Marsh Arab's Hasselblad

If the recipient places no value on it, any "tiny mouth to feed" might derive tremendous pride and comfort from that gong in 40 or 50 years time :cry:

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...........
Joni Mitchell

Sub - as discussed I will e-mail the seller and ask the question of whose medal it is and whether they do need ICA assistance.

Could it be a political statement?! (Not quite Seigfreid Sasson chucking his medal away I know!) :lol:

NTTT
I have now had contact with the seller (selling on behalf of her husband so that explains the size 12 boot conundrum). She thanks people for their concern but there are no problems.
Thank Christ.... I was getting concerned...

WasMe said:
Blinkin Eck? Over £1300 Quid for a few medals??

"Missus, get the digi camera out.................no more dirty pics.........I have a date with Mr Ebay"

OK, How do I sell mine???????????? I will get more than £1300 no doubt!

Finally sold for £1860 . . . .

g2_loony_bin said:
Next_to_the_Tank said:
Next_to_the_Tank said:
subbsonic said:
me n bee said:
Good on her, no use to man nor beast when you are out of the green and when there are mouths to feed!!!
If someone who is ex Corps is that hard up, ICA should really be on the case. They can have all my desert combats, as well as the Marsh Arab's Hasselblad

If the recipient places no value on it, any "tiny mouth to feed" might derive tremendous pride and comfort from that gong in 40 or 50 years time :cry:

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...........
Joni Mitchell

Sub - as discussed I will e-mail the seller and ask the question of whose medal it is and whether they do need ICA assistance.

Could it be a political statement?! (Not quite Seigfreid Sasson chucking his medal away I know!) :lol:

NTTT
I have now had contact with the seller (selling on behalf of her husband so that explains the size 12 boot conundrum). She thanks people for their concern but there are no problems.
Thank Christ.... I was getting concerned...
Well subsonic was :roll:

I have only just caught up on the latest threads. Can't say I have been doing anything interesting in all honesty but I thought there were some very interesting points of view regarding this. First of all I genuinely admire Subs nobility (and whilst I am hunting for a job this is not a deliberate brown nosing move Sub) in raising the possible welfare issue which was pleasing to note that there was not. I use e-bay alot and having acquired a great deal of surplus in my career; I have made a few bob in the recent trend for dessie combats and sold my old "norgie roll necks" and "BCHs" to those who find themselves working on building sites (some Arrsers may have to look up Wikipedia on those two). As for the other gumph littering my garage I am torn between nostalgia and the wife's primacy of decoration. I have around 10 unit plaques (some of those Units now dont exist of course) some of which are only lucky enough to find a place in the downstairs toilet. Do I feel guilty for flogging them on e-bay or not ?

Piglet_Files said:
I have only just caught up on the latest threads. Can't say I have been doing anything interesting in all honesty but I thought there were some very interesting points of view regarding this. First of all I genuinely admire Subs nobility (and whilst I am hunting for a job this is not a deliberate brown nosing move Sub) in raising the possible welfare issue which was pleasing to note that there was not. I use e-bay alot and having acquired a great deal of surplus in my career; I have made a few bob in the recent trend for dessie combats and sold my old "norgie roll necks" and "BCHs" to those who find themselves working on building sites (some Arrsers may have to look up Wikipedia on those two). As for the other gumph littering my garage I am torn between nostalgia and the wife's primacy of decoration. I have around 10 unit plaques (some of those Units now dont exist of course) some of which are only lucky enough to find a place in the downstairs toilet. Do I feel guilty for flogging them on e-bay or not ?
Well your average walt doesn't get the uniform right, or turn up at a Remembrance parade wearing a unit plaque so I wouldn't worry too much about flogging them if you don't want them. Unfortunately some do mis-use gongs to walt it up. but to be fair as has been said earlier on this thread most gong collectors are just that - saddos wanting private collections to drool over. I would rather see them in a Regimental Museum or with the family.

Read with interest today the article in soldier magazine about the SNCO that was bust to Cpl for selling his gongs on ebay. Simple really, sell it all when you've left - including all the buckshee kit you've bound to have accumulated over the years.

I know a few people quite senior in the Corps who won't get much cash from selling their gongs.

What do you think is an acceptable number after 22 years, given the operational tempo in the 90's and today?

I reckon between 6 and 8 is a respectable collection. However have seen a few people in te mess with 10+. Being such a small Corps we will without doubt be on every Op going, so there are some guys and girls with chest fulls of gongs out there. Some enjoy going on Ops, others are quite obviously medal collectors who insist on comparing who has what when at mess functions.

Scorptin said:
I reckon between 6 and 8 is a respectable collection. .

Hurrumph.......... There was a time when it used to be 2-3 bars on your GSM
NI
Borneo
Rafdan
Sultan's victory medal, for those who did not get a bar for Dhofar...

deerhunter said:
I know a few people quite senior in the Corps who won't get much cash from selling their gongs.

What do you think is an acceptable number after 22 years, given the operational tempo in the 90's and today?
At least one ex-Director had nothing to show for his time in when he left I understand (Not even NI).

MrsRaven said:
At least one ex-Director had nothing to show for his time in when he left I understand (Not even NI).
IIRC this might be the Director who asked for a glass of lemonade at a certain Sgts' mess cocktail party?

A chipper young, moustachioed Glaswegian SSGT ( some of you may know from 89 Sect) promptly cut away to the crowded bar to retrieve the object of his Director's desire.

Unbeknownst to some, he must have tripped on the way back and one of his appendages slipped into the glass, along with some unusual flavouring :lick:

Now employed to preserve a small part of the Queens peace I understand?

Every one an Emporer amongst men

cpunk

LE
MrsRaven said:
deerhunter said:

Just the GNM - 'Got No Medals'. He always looked a tad odd standing next to Michael Gow and subsequently Charles Guthrie.

cpunk said:
MrsRaven said:
deerhunter said:

Just the GNM - 'Got No Medals'. He always looked a tad odd standing next to Michael Gow and subsequently Charles Guthrie.
Then there was the lightside WO2 whose first medal of her (then) 18 year career was the QJM (Queen's Jubilee Medal). In such a case it's better to have no medals at all than a single lonely crap one.

There was a crab who worked with me at JARIC who for some reasong had two NATO Former Yugoslavia medals issued. He sold one at a Car Boot along with some miscellaneous issue kit, including a spare set of Goretex, some issue batteries, and badges, that kind of thing.

Among those at the Car Boot Sale was an off-duty RAF Police Cpl, who determined that the seller was serving RAF and arrested him. They tried to do him for theft, and selling his award, which it technically was, but the guy was let off due to common sense prevailing.

The whole point about this is that whatever spare kit you have while serving is never spare, as, it must either be on your 1157 or you don't own it, hence it's theft. If you buy stuff from Ebay, from Car boot sales, or from Army and Navy Stores you must always keep receipts and be prepared to show them.

Sgt_Monium said:
There was a crab who worked with me at JARIC who for some reasong had two NATO Former Yugoslavia medals issued. He sold one at a Car Boot along with some miscellaneous issue kit, including a spare set of Goretex, some issue batteries, and badges, that kind of thing.

Among those at the Car Boot Sale was an off-duty RAF Police Cpl, who determined that the seller was serving RAF and arrested him. They tried to do him for theft, and selling his award, which it technically was, but the guy was let off due to common sense prevailing.

The whole point about this is that whatever spare kit you have while serving is never spare, as, it must either be on your 1157 or you don't own it, hence it's theft. If you buy stuff from Ebay, from Car boot sales, or from Army and Navy Stores you must always keep receipts and be prepared to show them.
Only two errors there. Firstly that someone could possibly think one of those sad losers is off duty. Secondly, I think you'll find he was probably a SAC. :)

Perevodchik said:
Only two errors there. Firstly that someone could possibly think one of those sad losers is off duty. Secondly, I think you'll find he was probably a SAC. :)
Mate, they all start out as A/Cpls, which is why the most snivelling, power-mad, and petty element of the RAF volunteers for RAFP*.

The remainder look forward to a fruitful and demanding career, ultimately aiming to reach the esteemed rank of RAF WO.

*This is not the case of RAFP Dog Handlers, as they are alright. (shudders) My niece is one.