eBay, Amazon et al..

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by count_duckula, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies for being thick, but is it as simple as clicking on the button here on ARRSE and then just carrying on normal jogging on the website, i.e. logging into my personal account to buy and sell etc? From which actions does ARRSE profit, just a winning bid or putting something up for auction as well? Keen to help, especially as I now have ad block.

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for asking - appreciated. For Amazon we get a small amount of anything bought within 24 hours. Off the top of my head 1 or 2% for low margin stuff - computers, games etc., up to 5% for high margin things. I haven't worked out the eBay system yet as it's a mix of clicks and % of purchases - but it's along the same lines.

We are just about to offer ad-free ARRSE for a small charge for those, like yourself, that want to be rid of ads, but still contribute. It does a better job than an ad blocker and remove right column blocks, header tabs etc, that you probably still see, as well as reducing the bandwidth needed for the site. More to the point of course it helps with income.

It's actually already live - in your settings->paid subscriptions, but still has rough edges such as no nice 'thank you' after you've paid, so I haven't advertised it. There are also a couple of other issues such as trying to give free subscriptions to those who've donated a reasonable amount in the past, and in fact what to do with the donations system. I digress.... it's here if you would like to support the cause:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/payments.php

3. Good CO
    Any way that the Ad-Free subscription can be taken out without using paypal? I was "ID-thefted" through them last year and have chinned them off totally, so would need an alternative method of payment.

Cheers

Chas

4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We'd love to offer alternatives but there aren't really any that don't have similar flaws. Happy if you have any suggestions though?

5. Maybe a similar payment process that the legend that is PG uses for Hols4Heroes? paypal is a bit durch!!

6. Bad CO

Don't they just ask for you to send money by bank transfer? If so, then that is extremely manpower intensive and probably not suitable for us.

7. No bother boss.

8. Credit card engine?

9. I've used Pay Pal for a couple of years for ebay both making and receiving payments without any drama's. We also use Pay Pal for our business. Although it's still in it's infancy, we haven't had any problems. They actually log onto a page on our site to pay.

10. Bad CO

Expensive for small amounts plus a pain in the ARRSE to integrate. Last time I looked you can pay via Paypal as a 'guest' which effectively offers this facility

11. Perhaps.However to accept credit cards you need to have a "merchant bank" account and some sort of virtual card reader,or a dedicated phone line and someone to sit there all day and take card details over the phone.All of which costs money.
    Not ideal for this site I imagine.

There is Worldpay - these are their costs.
    Summary and costs

Business Gateway plus provides you everything you need to start collecting payments online.
    Setup fee £100
    Monthly fee £19.95 per month
    Transaction fees From 1.4% + 15p per transaction to 2.95% + 20p per transaction *
    * Dependent on transaction volume and type of business.
    Call us on 0870 366 1290 to get the best pricing for your business.

Adelante MobilePOS mobile phone based payments system

MobilePOS - costs just £50 to get up and running. After that there is a monthly charge of £10 per month (per merchant account and not per users). This includes 40 free transactions. Any transactions over 40 in a single month are charged at 25p each. These charges are in addition to the banks transaction charges.

To find out more please complete the request for information form and someone will contact you to discuss your requirements in more detail.

I have not used either of these systems.

12. Bad CO

Those both look interesting although fees aren't that different from Paypal. There is also the small matter of integrating it in the site to work with the subscriptions part of the website.

The bottom line is though, I simply don't see how this is better than a Paypal 'guest' payment?

13. Just logged on and paid like you have suggested. It was easy and quick!!!

Plus the advert have gone straight away.

14. OK, right: to go back to the original post, ARRSE only get money if I place a bid on an item which is then won within the next 24 hours? I'm a bit confused.

15. bump