Eating its children: Dawkins now

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Idrach, Jul 24, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And yet the Japanese managed to have internecine warfare between sects of buddhism... e.g Jōdo Shinshū and Jodo Shu

2. I couldn't agree more. It's a total waste of time with those people, they're too far gone. I've never heard so much dishonesty than in hearing a religious fundy in q debate.

Matt Dillahunty has done some epic ones where all the creationist has done is make sniffy personal attacks. No attempt at reason debate. "I have my facts with no evidence and cannot listen to anything that goes against it." Beliefs held like that are a weird part of the human condition.

Atheism has spawned a cult like culture that had been co-opted by "progressive" idealogues and given the world the loathesome Atheism + movement.

I'm an Atheist as I have no God beliefs but I'm in no way part of some atheist community.

Edited to clarify my thoughts on Atheism +

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Me too. I find true believers of any description quite disturbing. I do not know how they get that way but once indoctrinated, they are a problem.

• Like Like x 3
  4. YarS

YarS On ROPs

With some kind of lobotomy? Thank you, I believe you said it with the best intentions, but if you'll help me to improve my English, it will be enough.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. YarS

YarS On ROPs

That's for me, it's a two different questions:
    Question of Truth (and Faith) and a question of best explanations of facts.
    I believe in Creation, and best explanation of facts is "Modern Sinthesis" Evolutionary Theory.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My invisible personal God is harder than your invisible personal God... so it goes... as ever with invisible omnipotent whatever's <sigh>

7. Yup, the calculators (plebs) get screwed over no matter what

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dawkins is intellectually bankrupt and a joke. I tire of intellectualists like Dawkins saying that religion drives people to do amoral things. After all, principles of human decency don’t come from religion, right?

These arguments are identical with those saying there is no free will. “We must not punish the criminal! It was his upbringing! He has no free will, no choice to have done what he has done!”

I’m always amused at those who ridicule other’s points of view for being “ridiculous”, while defending otherwise undefensible positions, such as stating that we are both animals, living in a material world, and that we have “free will”.

Ah well. There is no God and Dawkins is his prophet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Keep taking the tablets.

(Sorry if that cliche isn't banal enough for you, but it is proportional to quality of the trolling)

10. Why is this an indefensible position?

11. Animals are guided primarily by instinct so in that respect they don't have free will. Even most men choose to allow themselves to be guided by egoistic compulsions rather than true soul guidance thereby making themselves effectively animals too.

12. Humans are also guided primarily by instinct, we've just learnt to codify things with a gloss of civilisation!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. That'll be me

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Well anyone who has ever owned a cat would contend that they are self aware and exercise free will. That choices ate constrained by circumstance and environment does not negate the existence of free will. Your second point does not negate free will either. It's mostly a complaint that others have made choices you don't approve of.