• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Eating its children: Dawkins now

Richard Dawkins, inflammatory and often entirely accurate critic of US religiosity has gone too far.

He's been rude, maybe, about Islam:

"In a letter to ticket-holders, the publicly funded radio station wrote: "We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn't know he had offended and hurt - in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people." "

Richard Dawkins' Berkeley event cancelled for 'Islamophobia' - BBC News

Frankly, any belief that won't hold up to a little ridicule is like Higgs Bosun. Unworthy of any attention.

"In a letter to ticket-holders, the publicly funded radio station wrote: "We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn't know he had offended and hurt - in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people."
How many years of his wuckfittery has the world been exposed to and they did not know he was "that sort of person"?

Really, my only words to that sort of ignorance is "How much is a kilo"

He makes a good point about not being de-platformed for his views on Christianity. Even in the US.

Sounds like Berkeley has taken its reputation for free thought and free speech and pished it up the wall.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Berkeley area is not what it was.

(Note the radio station that cancelled this isn't affiliated with the university. Still, it's not a huge town, and I'll bet the causes are related)

I tried that with Spider and the result didnt just make me in favour of no platforming, but in outright extermination of some parts of the gene pool...
That's a different issue -
You do not seek to censor spider - because you dislike or refuse to countenance other opinions

You simply despair of engaging with a wibbling loon that prefers here say to established facts.

That's not intellectual weakness or censorship - that's completely justified

Edit - because auto correct ambushed me

Last edited:
BBC News Page said:
In an open letter to organisers, Professor Dawkins wrote that he "never used abusive speech against Islam".

He said harsh statements he has made in the past have been directed at "IslamISM" - apparently referring to those who use the religion for political objectives - and not adherents of the faith.
Nice mealy-mouthed equivocating there, Dickie.

Nice mealy-mouthed equivocating there, Dickie.
He has a very good point there. The worst offenders for using the cover of Islam to dress up their actions with a veil of righteousness tend to be the absolute foulest practitioners of the religion with an almost imaginary grasp of even the most basic tenets of the faith.

In what way is it equivocating? It's an important distinction to make. Saying "Islam is a threat" is very different from saying "Muslims are a threat".
If Dawkins says that Islam is "one of the great evils of the world", then turns around and tries to say that he meant "Islamism" to escape censure, that to me is equivocating. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Latest Threads