Eating its children: Dawkins now

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Idrach, Jul 24, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Richard Dawkins, inflammatory and often entirely accurate critic of US religiosity has gone too far.

He's been rude, maybe, about Islam:

"In a letter to ticket-holders, the publicly funded radio station wrote: "We had booked this event based entirely on his excellent new book on science, when we didn't know he had offended and hurt - in his tweets and other comments on Islam, so many people." "

Richard Dawkins' Berkeley event cancelled for 'Islamophobia' - BBC News

Frankly, any belief that won't hold up to a little ridicule is like Higgs Bosun. Unworthy of any attention.

• Like Like x 12
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. Do you mean the ALWAYS entirely accurate Richard Dawkins?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

Atheism, it's the new religion

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. "No platforming" is intellectually weak censorship. If you don't like what you think somebody believes, engage them in debate.

• Like Like x 37
  5. How many years of his wuckfittery has the world been exposed to and they did not know he was "that sort of person"?

Really, my only words to that sort of ignorance is "How much is a kilo"

• Like Like x 1
  6. I tried that with Spider and the result didnt just make me in favour of no platforming, but in outright extermination of some parts of the gene pool...

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 3
  7. It'll be interesting to see what @Higgs_bosun has to say on the issue.

I always value his input.

• Funny Funny x 11
  8. He makes a good point about not being de-platformed for his views on Christianity. Even in the US.

Sounds like Berkeley has taken its reputation for free thought and free speech and pished it up the wall.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Berkeley area is not what it was.

(Note the radio station that cancelled this isn't affiliated with the university. Still, it's not a huge town, and I'll bet the causes are related)

10. That's a different issue -
    You do not seek to censor spider - because you dislike or refuse to countenance other opinions

You simply despair of engaging with a wibbling loon that prefers here say to established facts.

That's not intellectual weakness or censorship - that's completely justified

Edit - because auto correct ambushed me

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. It's a good thing the truth is never hurtful.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Nice mealy-mouthed equivocating there, Dickie.

13. He has a very good point there. The worst offenders for using the cover of Islam to dress up their actions with a veil of righteousness tend to be the absolute foulest practitioners of the religion with an almost imaginary grasp of even the most basic tenets of the faith.

• Like Like x 1