Eathquake in Britain?

Romeo_47 said:
Earthquake This may sound weird but an earthquake hit a part of Scotland. It was only a small thing.
not weird at all - 2 main fault lines run through Scotland - the Highland Boundary Fault and the Southern Upland Fault.

The whole of the scottish central lowlands are a 'rift valley' between those two fault lines.

The areas along both faults have quite regular tremors but they are normally so weak and or deep that people/buildings are not effected, but every so often they are drawn to our attention by a bored media on slow news days.

Oracle said:
The minor tremor in Scotland pales into insignificance when you have a look at the Pacific rim.
Yes - I spent a few years over in the Seattle (Pac North West) area, on the edge of the Pacific Rim/Ring of Fire. And about 6 years ago they had a decent quake - think it was about 6.5 - and it was a very unnerving experience.

My colleagues and other locals had all been brought up with Earthquake drills - which I had not ever even thought about. I seem to remember standing there grinning like a drunk Cheshire cat as the floor quivered and walls shook, while everyone else got under desks and into doorways....

A few elevated roadss had problems and a couple of the older, dilapidated Seattle buildings had walls collapse but all in all it was a bit of a non-event. Was still a very strange experience though.

EDIT: actually just looked it up, it was a 6.8....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Seattle_earthquake

I was in one in Portugal a few years back. I slept through a part of it after it stopped You could hear dog's barking all around you. (This was out in the country near a small town) Then on the news it was on.

I blamed it on the sprouts...

However I have experienced 3 tremors in Manchester, it would have been just before the Commonwealth Games. Very odd sensation.

The third one occurred while I was peacefully enthroned in trap one, leading me to evacuate in more ways than one... I was thinking if it had been 'The Big One' then at least it would have given the rescuers a laugh.

About 4/5 yrs back sat at home in Glos, when we experienced an earthquake.

It was strong enough to start shaking the sofa for about 1-2 mins.

I wouldn't normally mind, but I was watching Most Haunted at the time and shat meself thinking Derek Acorah had sent the devil himself to my living room..

Anyone look at the date on that report? :roll:

Me thinks the OP meant this...

Moodybitch said:
About 4/5 yrs back sat at home in Glos, when we experienced an earthquake.

It was strong enough to start shaking the sofa for about 1-2 mins.

I wouldn't normally mind, but I was watching Most Haunted at the time and shat meself thinking Derek Acorah had sent the devil himself to my living room..
I was living in Gloucester at the time and I remember that one, it was about 11 at night, I thought it was a car hitting the fcuking house! Scared the shite out of me as well.

You lot not hear about the two earthquakes in cornwall just before xmas? , two little ones. erm. think about a 1 on the richeter, but still. Im going to start wearing my tinfoil hat just incase.