Easy retirement work suggestions

I’m heading towards 60 at a faster rate than I’d like and vaguely casting around for easy yet well paid work.

Today I’ve seen a man who I will worship as a lazy entrepreneur forever. Let me explain:

I’m in Abersoch on the Llyn Peninsular in North Wales. Nice enough. So I took Mrs and mini Ancient to the beach. Sadly the town car park was full, but luckily there was a signposted overflow car park, a field across the road where an old boy in a high viz best charged me a fiver to park all day.

Very reasonable I think you will agree, especially as the town car park was £8.

By the time we got back about lunch time the field was full with about 200 cars and the gate bloke was gone.

So consider. 200 cars at £5 a pop is a grand. Fine weather is expected all week so I expect he will do that again so for the rest of the week: £7000? Assume he does this for 10 weeks of the year. Maybe a slightly higher charge at weekends but some rainy days as well and our boy is on £70,000, tax free (I assume)for 5 hours work a day for 10 weeks a year.

Can anyone beat that?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I’m heading towards 60 at a faster rate than I’d like and vaguely casting around for easy yet well paid work.

Today I’ve seen a man who I will worship as a lazy entrepreneur forever. Let me explain:

I’m in Abersoch on the Llyn Peninsular in North Wales. Nice enough. So I took Mrs and mini Ancient to the beach. Sadly the town car park was full, but luckily there was a signposted overflow car park, a field across the road where an old boy in a high viz best charged me a fiver to park all day.

By the time we got back about lunch time the field was full with about 200 cars and the gate bloke was gone.

So consider. 200 cars at £5 a pop is a grand. Fine weather is expected all week so I expect he will do that again so for the rest of the week: £7000? Assume he does this for 10 weeks of the year. Maybe a slightly higher charge at weekends but some rainy days as well and our boy is on £70,000, tax free (I assume)for 5 hours work a day for 10 weeks a year.

Can anyone beat that?
Most MPs and former VSOs! :(

Buy a house near the beach at Abersoch and especially with parking and you've got a guaranteed income as a B&B

Also art galleries there do well, due to rich tourists

Can anyone beat that?
there was someone doing this at old trafford even better as it was not his land to start with

964ST

LE

Can anyone beat that?
Yep! Nigerian Prince, or Special forces lost black hold-all in Iraq!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Easy retirement work? Send the wife out to work and you just relax.

Become some sort of consultant to a local authority or the NHS
Or just sell stuff to the NHS. Adding a 0 to the cost price is usually the starting point.

one of the guys at work drives an on call doctor from call to call, don't think the docs going to be impressed when he finds the drivers trained to do BP/O2/suger levels etc in his day job

one of the guys at work drives an on call doctor from call to call, don't think the docs going to be impressed when he finds the drivers trained to do BP/O2/suger levels etc in his day job
Why not ? Doctor sits in the car and sends the driver in to see the patient...

D

Deleted 15653

I suspect the parking venture is not going to be totally 'tax free' as the taxman is very good at spotting little earners like that. That said, a few hundred quid to a sympathetic accountant (or someone who is self employed) should result in minimal tax being paid.

I had a portrait photography side line for much of my military career. A mate who ran an electronics repair business showed me how to fill in a tax return and I never paid more than a few quid tax on my sideline and indeed several years the taxman paid me.

I suspect the parking venture is not going to be totally 'tax free' as the taxman is very good at spotting little earners like that. That said, a few hundred quid to a sympathetic accountant (or someone who is self employed) should result in minimal tax being paid.

I had a portrait photography side line for much of my military career. A mate who ran an electronics repair business showed me how to fill in a tax return and I never paid more than a few quid tax on my sideline and indeed several years the taxman paid me.
I had something similar, I let out my apartment in the UK, the money it brought in was well below the tax threshold and I was non-resident for tax purposes, so I assumed I didn't have to pay any tax. I tried to fill out the self-assessment form they sent every year (to my overseas address) but apparently it was the wrong form and I could never find out what the right form was and I sure as hell wasn't paying a UK accountant to sort it out.

Anyway, after years of messing about, back and forth, paying odd amounts demanded, one day out of the blue I got a refund for the suspiciously round amount of GBP100 from HMRC and that was the last I ever heard from them, they have never sent a form since.

I know I should query this and fear that there is a huge tax bill plus fines building up somewhere but I am too worried I will poke a sleeping bear so I have never asked about it.

Can anyone beat that?
Even better if the bloke in a hi viz is just some random punter standing by a gate...

Stibbon

Old-Salt

Can anyone beat that?

He must have had a fairly large cash "float" to be able to provide up to 200 bodies with "change" from all the £20 and £10 notes he'd have been given though ;) ...

Can anyone beat that?
But, someone owns the field, either the old bloke or someone who rents it to him or the council.
Deduct that, plus maintenance, plus ppe, plus a shelter for bad weather etc etc, and it's a lot less.
Or, maybe, it's a smart old bloke conning people out of a fiver then disappearing?

Even better if the bloke in a hi viz is just some random punter standing by a gate...
This allegedly happened at Bristol zoo (or similar), £5 a car, tenner for a coach. 7 days a week for many years, always full up. The story goes that one day he didn’t turn up and someone rang the Council to ask where he was, “oh no, that car park isn’t manned…”

Mr Hi-Viz is never seen again, except probably, by folks in Barbados.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A distant relative purchased a grotty old farm
knocked down most of the rotten concrete and asbestos buildings, tidied it up and landscaped it
he rents the fields out to caravans and campers ( in separate field) along with a converted barn as a toilet block, shower block, and small kitchen and wet weather dining area, plus a little room with tools for fixing pushbikes
big investment to start with, but its earning him regular money now

Another old gizzard I know has a vintage caravan at the bottom of his very long garden, it has a small hand built shed at the side, with a toilet/shower, a fridge freezer and a sink and small cooker and kettle ( plus wi fi from the garage)

and the caravan has a few small mains sockets tucked in neatly ( guess who did that)
it has its own gate to a lane, and its rented out pretty much non stop to cyclists and walkers
does not charge too much and is always booked in advance

Latest Threads