Easy questions:

#1
It's been donkeys years since I was at Basic Training (Sorry, Phase 1). One of my lads is about to start up at Winchester- had some questions - and sorry to sound like someone from the stoneage.

1. I understand that barrack dress went a while back. Does this mean that recruits wear combats for everything? Drill included?

2. Is it correct that you don't get put into your regimental dress until about halfway in? Is this something to do with the cra@phats?

3. There's a visit to battlefield / war graves in Belgium/France. True or False?

4. Bumpering floors - gone or not?

5. Mobiles - Yes or no?

Thanks. What can I say? I'm old.
 
#2
Cretin said:
It's been donkeys years since I was at Basic Training (Sorry, Phase 1). One of my lads is about to start up at Winchester- had some questions - and sorry to sound like someone from the stoneage.

1. I understand that barrack dress went a while back. Does this mean that recruits wear combats for everything? Drill included?

2. Is it correct that you don't get put into your regimental dress until about halfway in? Is this something to do with the cra@phats?

3. There's a visit to battlefield / war graves in Belgium/France. True or False?

4. Bumpering floors - gone or not?

5. Mobiles - Yes or no?

Thanks. What can I say? I'm old.
I haven't started phase 1 yet but this is what i picked up from here and at recruit selection.

1. When i was at selection i saw some doing drill and they weren't in combats.
2. Not sure but all i know is that you have to do a certain amount of weeks before you get your cap badge.
3. True. Ive got to get my new passport ready for this :).
4. Don't no.
5. Allowed but when you get to ATR they will say when etc.. (I remember someone saying on here that his son had theres taken for first 3 weeks or something).

Hope that helps a little.
 
#3
Cretin said:
It's been donkeys years since I was at Basic Training (Sorry, Phase 1). One of my lads is about to start up at Winchester- had some questions - and sorry to sound like someone from the stoneage.

1. I understand that barrack dress went a while back. Does this mean that recruits wear combats for everything? Drill included?

2. Is it correct that you don't get put into your regimental dress until about halfway in? Is this something to do with the cra@phats?

3. There's a visit to battlefield / war graves in Belgium/France. True or False?

4. Bumpering floors - gone or not?

5. Mobiles - Yes or no?

Thanks. What can I say? I'm old.

1. you do normal every day in combats, drill is still done in drill kit, when not in uniform you are in your company tracksuit.

2. you do not earn the right untill the 7th week, to ware your regimental cap badge, when you pass your drill test.

3. yes a visit to france or belgium is done.

4. i havent had to bumper floors as of yet.

5. mobiles are encouraged, but are only available after 6, unless for compasionate reason.

J-J
 
#4
just_jay said:
1. you do normal every day in combats, drill is still done in drill kit, when not in uniform you are in your company tracksuit.
Sorry - what is "Drill kit"? Is that barrack dress or No 2s? Or something new that I've never heard of?
 
#5
I'm not at winchester, but I'm DS at bassingbourn so hopefully this will help.

1. Yes Barracks are gone, drill is now done in Lightweights, green shirt, jumper, and boots.

2. Recruits now wear a generic army capbadge for the first seven weeks, on week seven there is a drill test and OC's inspection. If they pass, they get their regimental head dress.

3. Battlefield tours are normally in week 4 (ish) and our lot go to Ypres or the Somme. Don't worry about a passport they get sent on a NATO travel order.

4. Sadly gone, but there are still many ways to get floors shiny.

5. Mobiles, yes they can have them but they can not have it on their person at any time and can only get used after working hours. Except on compasionate cases. Just tell your lad to keep his bluetooth off, I've caught out many of my section with that one. He might also find that his mobile is part of his locker layout.
 
#7
MoNkEy271 said:
I'm not at winchester, but I'm DS at bassingbourn so hopefully this will help.

1. Yes Barracks are gone, drill is now done in Lightweights, green shirt, jumper, and boots.
!!! That sounds not a little bit like.......working dress.


4. Sadly gone, but there are still many ways to get floors shiny.
That's a bit harsh if they have a carpet.
 
#8
Cretin said:
MoNkEy271 said:
I'm not at winchester, but I'm DS at bassingbourn so hopefully this will help.

1. Yes Barracks are gone, drill is now done in Lightweights, green shirt, jumper, and boots.
!!! That sounds not a little bit like.......working dress.



4. Sadly gone, but there are still many ways to get floors shiny.
That's a bit harsh if they have a carpet.
Working dress is now combats (combat 95) drill kit is the old working dress, but the new lightweights have no map pocket on the leg and you wear them without twisters (why!, I've no idea)

There's nothing wrong with shiny carpets,!!!

the little fcukers put enough boot polish on the floor (walls, ceiling, doors, etc) when trying to polish boots, they might as well bump the floors....
 
#10
Cretin said:
MoNkEy271 said:
I'm not at winchester, but I'm DS at bassingbourn so hopefully this will help.

1. Yes Barracks are gone, drill is now done in Lightweights, green shirt, jumper, and boots.
!!! That sounds not a little bit like.......working dress.


4. Sadly gone, but there are still many ways to get floors shiny.
That's a bit harsh if they have a carpet.
That's when you find out who the best soldiers are likely to be!

Litotes
 
#11
Cretin,

If you are having a problem understanding what the contributors are writing, try reading the script phonetically....

Although if you have a son old enough to be joining up, you might already no that. :D :D :D

Litotes
 
#12
cretin sorry i didnt specify on the drill kit, im also at bassingbourn and not winchester.
 
#14
RoyalEngineers said:
I thought lightweights had been made redundant lol
Not quite yet, they have new ones that have no map pocket.

I think they are being used insted of the old barrack trousers that are redundant. Seen a few RMP units wearing them as duty order a while back. Lightweights with shoes, it just looks a little gay. But a least the recruits are wearing them with boots.
 
#17
If your going to AFC Harrogate you are extremely strongly encouraged to ge a passport beforehand or once there or you cant go on the trips to Austria, Canada etc. When I spoke to my sons platoon commander about the fact the army should be getting the passports I was told that the army will only get them if posted abroad or going on Op tours so the MOD will save money as all the recruits are 16/17 and wouldnt be going for at least a year.
 
#18
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Whatever the new rules are, they are, I suppose. Personally, I find it a bit bizarre that old working dress (minus pocket on denims and twisties) is somehow more appropriate for drill than combats.

All the rest taken on board - and I agree that bumpering the floor never hurt anyone. It was all the silly hijinks that people got up to with the hand bumpers that did.
 
#19
Cretin said:
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Whatever the new rules are, they are, I suppose. Personally, I find it a bit bizarre that old working dress (minus pocket on denims and twisties) is somehow more appropriate for drill than combats.

All the rest taken on board - and I agree that bumpering the floor never hurt anyone. It was all the silly hijinks that people got up to with the hand bumpers that did.
because combats are for combat, or as one of the ds on my jclm ''combat 95 is for dying in not ironing''

Plus it teaches people how to get dressed quick, or as i found out in basic they give you 30 mins to change from 95's to drill or pt and only 10 to get showered from pt into another form of dress.
 
#20
Chuzu said:
Plus it teaches people how to get dressed quick, or as i found out in basic they give you 30 mins to change from 95's to drill or pt and only 10 to get showered from pt into another form of dress.

Sometimes its not just for the fcuk about factor (only sometimes) but the training program that we try to keep to was written without any use of time management, such as - getting 40 recruits out of PT kit, into the showers (only 6 of them, only 4 have hot water), then into 95 kit, deflect all the "can I go for a fag, Corporal" questions, get their webbing on, march them to the armory and draw weapons, march them to their classroom for their next lesson, all in 10 minutes. If anyone can do this especially with junior recruits, I need to know how. Remembering you have to march them, you cannot double the 100 metres to the armory incase they get injured.

Anyway, watching them flap about can be fun
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads