Easter the New Christmas?

So who's decided that Easter is a new Christmas? Over on the slag thread, @WolvoExPunk posted an ad for an "Easter Panto". All the telly ads are full of "gifts"to buy for Easter and not just confined to hot cross buns and choccy eggs. Buy perfume, candles, bottles of wine for that "Easter day special dinner" and so on.

Are the companies getting a bit desperate as retail shopping takes a dive?

Waiting for Monday when all the Easter eggs are half price and worth buying!.
Bit like xmas, buy all goodies on Boxing day as they are cheaper and reasonably priced.
St Valentines Day, Easter, Mothers Day & Christmas just days to rip off the humble punter with high prices!!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well, in the large retail I worked in, the Easter eggs were delivered on 26th Dec.

Well, in the large retail I worked in, the Easter eggs were delivered on 26th Dec.
A few years ago I delivered in the height of a July heat wave a 40 footer trailer full of artificial xmas trees to M&S.
Oh they were so happy to get them, think it was 5k's worth of all sizes!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Could have been worse, could have been real trees.

I was once told by a man of the cloth that Easter is by far the most important date in the Christian callender, The very core of the Christian faith is the death and resurection of the Savior. Why then says I, is Christmas on the same day every year, but Easter is a movable feast (see what I did there). He was unable to answer, so I helpfully suggested that as both Christmas (mid winter) and Easter (spring and rebirth) were originally pagan festivals and as mid winter is always the same day ( I know it's the 21st not the 25th) but spring varies depending on how far north you are. Another nail in the coffin for religion!

And yes the retailers are getting desperate, however a leg of lamb is now on sale at half price in many supermarkets.......slow cooked in rosemary and red wine...MMMMMMMM.

Cultural appropriation of Pagan fertility festivals: rabbits, eggs and so on.

If it's rising from the dead and all that, is it not Passover?

I was once told by a man of the cloth that Easter is by far the most important date in the Christian callender, The very core of the Christian faith is the death and resurection of the Savior. Why then says I, is Christmas on the same day every year, but Easter is a movable feast (see what I did there). He was unable to answer, so I helpfully suggested that as both Christmas (mid winter) and Easter (spring and rebirth) were originally pagan festivals and as mid winter is always the same day ( I know it's the 21st not the 25th) but spring varies depending on how far north you are. Another nail in the coffin for religion!

And yes the retailers are getting desperate, however a leg of lamb is now on sale at half price in many supermarkets.......slow cooked in rosemary and red wine...MMMMMMMM.
Do exact dates really matter? That is like saying the errors that have been caused by using different calendars over the centuries make every invalid.

Easter is about themes of service to others, repentance, and forgiveness. As such the cultural Marxists, nihilistic neo-fascists, and PC loonies probably want to ban it.

Cultural appropriation of Pagan fertility festivals: rabbits, eggs and so on.

If it's rising from the dead and all that, is it not Passover?
Nope. The old tradition was to sacrifice a lamb as an offering to God. Jesus, we're told, offered himself in place of the lamb, as if to say no more shedding of innocent blood. It's also a story of how God became incarnate as a human, and offered Himself to humanity as a sacrifice to us.

The Resurrection is different. Unlike the fertility stuff and Pagan resurrections, the death and resurrection of Jesus are recounted as events that happened in a very literal sense, in specific locations, involving actual people.

Do exact dates really matter? That is like saying the errors that have been caused by using different calendars over the centuries make every invalid.

Easter is about themes of service to others, repentance, and forgiveness. As such the cultural Marxists, nihilistic neo-fascists, and PC loonies probably want to ban it.
The Roman callendar that we use today was first drawn up by Numa Pompilius (753 BC - 673 BC) so the dates will not have changed. I have nothing against the Easter themes, I'm just saying they were pinched from the existing pagan festivals and the fact that the crucifiction and supposed resurection 3 days later must have happened on a particular date, I am always surprised that Christians around the globe don't know what the dates are!

Nope. The old tradition was to sacrifice a lamb as an offering to God. Jesus, we're told, offered himself in place of the lamb, as if to say no more shedding of innocent blood. It's also a story of how God became incarnate as a human, and offered Himself to humanity as a sacrifice to us.

The Resurrection is different. Unlike the fertility stuff and Pagan resurrections, the death and resurrection of Jesus are recounted as events that happened in a very literal sense, in specific locations, involving actual people.
That's always assuming you're gullible enough to believe any of that sky-pixie bolleaux* in the first place of course.

*other sky-pixie bolleaux for the terminally gullible is available.

That's always assuming you're gullible enough to believe any of that sky-pixie bolleaux* in the first place of course.

*other sky-pixie bolleaux for the terminally gullible is available.
It's usually the militant atheists who talk bollox about 'sky pixies', fairies and whatnot. I'm not sure what that has to do with Christianity, but whatever makes them happy...

It's usually the militant atheists who talk bollox about 'sky pixies', fairies and whatnot. I'm not sure what that has to do with Christianity, but whatever makes them happy...
You walk on water and I'll give it some serious consideration! :)